Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

Downloads
    Uploads

11.5" Carbine Barrels

I've noticed that some companies have quit making 11.5" carbine barrels while others don't make carbine barrels shorter than 11.5". A local Gunsmith advised that my new upper that I'm building be a 11.5" rather than a 10.5" due to reliability. Do 10.5" barreled uppers have that much of issue with reliability? I have been considering using a 11.5" barrel with an 10.75" URX 3.1.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Dwell time is an important consideration in having a reliable gas system. An 11.5 with carbine length gas system has a 40% longer dwell time than a 10.5 according to Paul Buffoni at BCM. I have a couple of BCM BFH barrels in 11.5. They have .073 gas ports and Bravo Company recommends an H buffer, but they cycle most lots of PMC Bronze just fine with an H2 buffer and full-auto BCG.
    Last edited by Hmac; 13 April 2014 at 14:35.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Dwell time? Is that how long the gas is in the gas tube? Sorry for the newbie question. Still learning here.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks HMAC this is my first venture with a SBR.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I have no experience with 10.5s, but can attest that my 11.5 inch barrels run very well. I should specify that I don't run a suppressor on any rifle. That makes a difference as it changes the pressure profile.

Downloads
    Uploads
    10.5s are perfectly fine and have been ran in special units for quite a few years.....no problems with my DI 10.5 or. 7.5 piston.....having the right size gas port is essential though.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by tact View Post
    10.5s are perfectly fine and have been ran in special units for quite a few years.....no problems with my DI 10.5 or. 7.5 piston.....having the right size gas port is essential though.
    Yup. No doubt. I'd have no worries running a 10.5 built by a reputable firearms mfgr or skilled armorer. Noveske makes a 10.5 that is tuned to perfection, I hear. The OP is building his SBR. What size gas port should he be drilling in his 10.5?

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Hmac View Post
    Yup. No doubt. I'd have no worries running a 10.5 built by a reputable firearms mfgr or skilled armorer. Noveske makes a 10.5 that is tuned to perfection, I hear. The OP is building his SBR. What size gas port should he be drilling in his 10.5?
    It all depends on the manufacturer as some are more gassed than others, but there is plenty of data out there now for most flavors.

Downloads
    Uploads
    It's between a 10.5" and a 11.5". If I do a 10.5" the barrel will be a Noveske. I haven't decided on a barrel if I were to do a 11.5".

Downloads
    Uploads
    Keep in mind there is a shit-ton of blast (technical term) from a 10.5" barrel. The manual for my Gemtech 5.56 suppressor says the warranty is borked if used on a barrel less than 12". Just something to consider.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by MoxyDave View Post
    Keep in mind there is a shit-ton of blast (technical term) from a 10.5" barrel. The manual for my Gemtech 5.56 suppressor says the warranty is borked if used on a barrel less than 12". Just something to consider.
    Ha..Ha...ha.. MD, I experienced this about two weeks ago. Me and a bud went to the range and took several rifles with us. I shot his SBR piston pistol, and not only did I have a hell of a time controlling it, rapid fire, but the muzzle blast was something to behold. Something I was fairly familiar with from my days of handgun hunting, and working up loads at the bench, but this one caught me off guard. Now I know the proper unit of measure for this is "Shit-tons".

FT
    NRA Life Member
    Basket full of Deplorables Life Member

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by MoxyDave View Post
    There are better suppressors that will handle a 7" barrel just fine.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by tact View Post
    There are better suppressors that will handle a 7" barrel just fine.
    Which ones? And will the warranty cover it?

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by KevinBL View Post
    Which ones? And will the warranty cover it?
    Yes I have the email with direct response from Silencerco rep on Saker series. They use a material 30% stronger than the regular Inconel.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Is the blast much different between a 10.5" and a 11.5"?