Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Yeah I think I am going to go with a 10.5" as well.
    Sent from my Windows Phone 8.1
    Just a regular guy.

Downloads
    Uploads
    We do not plan on 10.5". The one inch in length isn't going to be missed by anyone even with a pistol build. The difference in dwell time and the overall reliability is more important which is why we stick with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Ride4frnt View Post
    Wish sionics made a 10.5". Not sure I want a 11.5" on the pistol build.
    Owner/Instructor- Semper Paratus Arms
    www.semperparatusarms.com

Master Armorer/R&D- SIONICS Weapon Systems
    www.sionicsweaponsystems.com

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Iraqgunz View Post
    We do not plan on 10.5". The one inch in length isn't going to be missed by anyone even with a pistol build. The difference in dwell time and the overall reliability is more important which is why we stick with it.
    Based on my research, what you said is exactly why I chose an 11.5" barrel for my pistol build.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Wish sionics made a 10.5". Not sure I want a 11.5" on the pistol build.
    You'll be using the SB-15 brace, right? I got to shoulder Pat Roger's 11.5" KMR uppered pistol with the SB-15 and it was a nice length for getting your hand a bit further forward. Didn't seem too long. Felt pretty much like my MK18 SBR.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Calengor View Post
    You'll be using the SB-15 brace, right? I got to shoulder Pat Roger's 11.5" KMR uppered pistol with the SB-15 and it was a nice length for getting your hand a bit further forward. Didn't seem too long. Felt pretty much like my MK18 SBR.
    I'm using a 12" handguard anyway so the barrel will be tucked either way. I may go the 11.5" route. I'm not sure yet.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Iraqgunz View Post
    We have several law enforcement agencies and civilians using the Melonite barrels. The accuracy has been outstanding as well. An LE agency in GA shot a 1 MOA group with our 11.5" with a Leupold scope and their duty round. Across the board our chrome lined and Melonite barrels shoot very good. They are all 4150CMV, proper gas ports sizes, correct 5.56 chambers, etc...
    So Gunz, on a duty 11.5" upper, would you go melonite over your Chrome Lined offering?

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by UWone77 View Post
    So Gunz, on a duty 11.5" upper, would you go melonite over your Chrome Lined offering?
    Also wondering the same. And I'd like to hear some benefits from you guys for going 11.5" over 10.5". $250 for the melonite sionics barrel, geissele gas block and tube has piqued my interest. I'm definitely not going 7.5" and I doubt the 1" from 10.5" will kill me.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I doubt the 1" from 10.5" will kill me.
    Especially if you use a 12" handguard...

Downloads
    Uploads
    Also wondering the same. And I'd like to hear some benefits from you guys for going 11.5" over 10.5". $250 for the melonite sionics barrel, geissele gas block and tube has piqued my interest. I'm definitely not going 7.5" and I doubt the 1" from 10.5" will kill me.
    I have a 10.5 MK18 clone. Having said that, the reason I've seen quoted most often on the intertubes is 11.5 has significantly improved reliability. See Paul from BCM's answer below:

Q: Why BCM chose the 11.5" SBR over the 10.5"

I get this question a lot. It is a good one. When we spec our program we can build anything we would like, so we sat down and looked at the pros and cons.

First Statement: I know a good 10.5" SBR can run very well. I personally own a semi MK18 type and it runs great. No problems.

A: Dwell time.
    Dwell time is the time that your gas operated weapon maintains pressure to continue the cycling of the weapon. It primarily exsists from the time the bullet passes the gas port in the barrel to the time the bullet exits the muzzle. When you pull the trigger and fire the weapon the movement of the bolt carrier group unlocks the bolt, extracts, and ejects the spent casing. Then it cocks the weapon, feeds, chambers the next round, and then locks again. One of the thing that can make SBRs finicky is the dwell time (or lack of).

The 11.5" carbine is approximately 4% longer weapon than its' 10.5" counterpart, but this extra inch gives the barrel a 40% increase in length for dwell time. IMHO, this is an excellent trade off. This additional dwell time (all other things being equal) will allow the carbine to be more forgiving to different ammo types, extremes in air temperature, weak or worn extractor springs, worn extractors, buffer weights, etc.

Last Statement: For those folks who have a 10.5" that works very well, I would reply; me too. (see first statement)

If I had to "go to war" with a AR15 Carbine, I would grab the BCM 11.5".
    The BCM 11.5" Runs Like a Dream.

Hope this info helps,
    Paul

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Calengor View Post
    I have a 10.5 MK18 clone. Having said that, the reason I've seen quoted most often on the intertubes is 11.5 has significantly improved reliability. See Paul from BCM's answer below:
    Good answer. Got me thinking. This pistol will be SBR'd sometime. 11.5" gets me closer to that maryland length too...

Downloads
    Uploads
    Good answer. Got me thinking. This pistol will be SBR'd sometime. 11.5" gets me closer to that maryland length too...
    So originally were you going to put a 10.5 on a 12" rail? What kind of muzzle device were you going to go with?

Downloads
    Uploads

11.5" Carbine Barrels

So originally were you going to put a 10.5 on a 12" rail? What kind of muzzle device were you going to go with?
    KX3 or PWS CQB.

But, after reading and doing some research, I guess it's probably in my better interest to go 11.5. Figure if the kx3 is 3.25 inches long, and half inch overlaps the barrel, and another half tucks under the rail, that leaves 2 inches out the front.
    Last edited by Ride4frnt; 11 September 2014 at 17:10.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I specifically bought an Aero "Pistol" marked lower so there would be no questioning whether it was an SBR by uneducated folks at the range, and that my pistol build was a in fact a pistol. Now that my NFA trust is done, I will be SBR'ing an additional receiver or two. I have a Voodoo Innovations 11.5" medium contour barrel on the bench right now, along with an Adams Arms piston kit. I have a feeling it will be somewhat heavy, but for the price I paid for the barrel and piston kit set up shipped to my door, (compared to a lot of barrels out there I basically got the piston kit darn near free), I figured I'd experiment with the piston system. I need to decide on a MD now. For the next upper, I'm considering a 12.5" barrel DI gas set up for an actual SBR.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I think either would be a good choice. The melonite advantage is that you have a more uniform coating and wear resistance. But, chrome lined barrels are a proven and probably still eclipse the melonite in terms of overall sales. We probably sell 3 chrome lined barrels for every 1 melonite. We are going to focus more on the melonite 16" barrels and a few new offerings that we are working on. There will be some LW dissipator and medium contour dissipator stuff coming soon.

Image a nice dissipator upper with something like a Geissele MKII rail or a 12" MI KeyMod rail.

Owner/Instructor- Semper Paratus Arms
    www.semperparatusarms.com

Master Armorer/R&D- SIONICS Weapon Systems
    www.sionicsweaponsystems.com

Downloads
    Uploads
    Welp, 11.5" it is. I just saw a 10.3" with the muzzle device I plan to use and I'm not a huge fan of it aesthetically. If I don't even like how it looks, and then it didn't perform right, I'd be t.o.'d