Thread: Aero COP 4

Downloads
    Uploads

Aero COP 4

I searched and did not find it (on here and google).

I am interested in reading some first hand reviews, pros/cons and seeing what opinions people had after prolonged use.

I am looking to build a 7.5 or so shorty pistol and I really like the upper/rail combo set, specirfically this type of setup:

pix from here - http://www.gunsandtactics.com/aero-precisions-cop-c4

Anyone give me the low down on it?

thanks

Downloads
    Uploads
    I've got a COP upper I've got around 700-800 rounds of 300 BLK though. I used it with a 10.5" and a pistol lower. It's held up to plinking use well. I have the midlength version. They plan to release a rifle length later this year, early next year. That's really what I'd like to use for a rifle upper.

The only downside I see with the COP upper is that you have to "build" and use a torx screw to add the side and bottom rails/handguard pieces. In that aspect it's not a true monolithic like the Mega or LMT. Additional points of possible failure. Mine hasn't loosened up though.

The Aero does have price going for it, and since they sell a minimalist kit with options to purchase individual parts, that drove the price down a bit further vs a full kit.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by UWone77 View Post
    I've got a COP upper I've got around 700-800 rounds of 300 BLK though. I used it with a 10.5" and a pistol lower. It's held up to plinking use well. I have the midlength version. They plan to release a rifle length later this year, early next year. That's really what I'd like to use for a rifle upper.

The only downside I see with the COP upper is that you have to "build" and use a torx screw to add the side and bottom rails/handguard pieces. In that aspect it's not a true monolithic like the Mega or LMT. Additional points of possible failure. Mine hasn't loosened up though.

The Aero does have price going for it, and since they sell a minimalist kit with options to purchase individual parts, that drove the price down a bit further vs a full kit.
    Thanks. I like the idea of not having to deal with a rail system and this one is integrated and slick all in one.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by voodoo_man View Post
    Thanks. I like the idea of not having to deal with a rail system and this one is integrated and slick all in one.
    I can't argue that part. I'm a fan of mono uppers. When you factor in the cost of a quality rail and upper, there isn't too much of a price difference. The cost of admission initially is just higher.

Downloads
    Uploads
    ^ I'm too waiting for the full rifle length COP. should be a delicacy.
    BRUUUHHHH....Do you EVEN OPERATE?!?!

Downloads
    Uploads
    I have that exact setup. I LOVE it! The only problem is the quality of aero's cerakote. It is outsourced, and is done incredibly quick, has flaws, and is VERY thin.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I've never used a receiver cerakoted by Aero. Not being a cerakote expert myself... how can you tell if the application is too thin? Spots?

Downloads
    Uploads
    Jmr73188 that's a sweet pistol build!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by UWone77 View Post
    I've never used a receiver cerakoted by Aero. Not being a cerakote expert myself... how can you tell if the application is too thin? Spots?
    The cerakote was worn through the spot on the lower where the dust cover hits before I even shot the thing. The dust cover was probably only opened 15-20 times before it was a thin line of bare metal where it hits.

Also, when I received the upper in the mail, one of the forward rail sections had a large blemish in the cerakote. Luckly Aero is only about a 45 minute drive from me because they wanted me to ship back the whole upper to get just a new rail section.

Needless to say, if I buy more stuff from aero, it will be black or raw aluminum and I will have someone else do the cerakote.
    Last edited by Jmr73188; 11 September 2014 at 20:55.

Downloads
    Uploads
    How are these COPs compared to say a VLTOR VIS?

I was considering a cerakoted lower, but after reading jmr's review on how thin it is, I'm going to have to reconsider. Though, I heard that cerakote is durable, except when hit by a pointed object/edge.