Downloads
    Uploads

Adjustable gas block?

I've always ran midlength gas systems. I prefer them over carbine lengths because of the softer recoil impulse and it being easier on components. That said, when I handle two different rifles that are basically identical, just one being a middy while the other is a carbine, I have to say I prefer the handling characteristics of the carbine. Having the weight of the gas block pulled back away from the muzzle certainly helps the balance, as does the fact that you don't need as long a forend to cover it. I don't need a long forend and a 9" that would cover the GB on a carbine would suit me just fine. So here's the question I've been pondering... Would I be able to use an adjustable gas block at the carbine location, and adjust it to feel and behave like a middy? In my head the answer seems like an obvious yes, but I can't help but wonder if I'm missing anything.

Also I don't know how much trust I have in adjustable gas blocks in general, though the SLR Sentry series looks very promising and is definitely the way I would go. I should also note that this wouldn't be for a gaming gun, but for HD,SHTF, and training so reliability is paramount.

Thoughts?
    -One Nation, Under God

-"The bad news is time flies. The good news is you're the pilot." ~ Michael Althsuler

Downloads
    Uploads
    Anyone?
    -One Nation, Under God

-"The bad news is time flies. The good news is you're the pilot." ~ Michael Althsuler

Downloads
    Uploads
    Interesting question. I looked them up via Bing and also read several of the reviews. It appears to be a premier gas block that is adjustable for the ammunition being used at the time. I can't find anywhere in the reviews where it mentions recoil reduction. I understand that it can be adjusted to a point where it functions flawlessly (per reviews) and that might "fix" over-gassing if the barrel ports are a little over spec. But recoil is very subjective and I'm not sure the "felt" recoil difference would be perceptible based on the gas block location being fixed and only the porting being adjustable. I have adjustable gas blocks on some piston rifles - I know that is not exactly the same - and when testing the settings, I don't see much recoil difference even off the bench. The only time I have felt a difference in recoil on an AR is last round lock-back, and that is minimal.

If a properly tuned AR with a fixed gas block drops the empties at 3 o'clock, and you have an adjustable gas block that you adjust to drop empties at 3 o'clock; wouldn't the recoil impulse be the same? If you adjust the gas block to drop empties at 1 or 5 o'clock wouldn't the recoil impulse be the same if you made those ejection adjustments via buffer weight or spring? Perceived recoil, and ejection, seems to be based on dwell time.

The gas block seems very reasonably priced. If you decide to chase the option, please keep the thread updated with your observations. After all, "perception is reality".

I don't have the round count of a lot of our members, so I hope some of the more experienced platform users will chime in.
    NRA Benefactor Member
    NRA Certified Instructor

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on."
    John Wayne - "The Shootist"

Downloads
    Uploads
    I've never had the need for such a thing and don't trust unproven components in anything other than a range blaster. I only use a fixed FSB or pined on gas block sans adjustment.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Adjustable gas blocks are ok if you're playing around with a suppressor. If you want it to shoot like a middy, I would just get one.

Downloads
    Uploads
    You could try a titanium gas block rather than an adjustable. The titanium shouldn't be bothered by heat like the aluminum ones, and be lite enough to shift the center of balance back. Here is one from V7, I no experience with this product though.

http://www.v7weaponsystems.com/colle...-750-gas-block
    DEUTERONOMY 6:5
    flickr
    facebook
    The gift of mental power comes from God, Divine Being, and if we concentrate our minds on that truth, we become in tune with this great power - Nikola Telsa

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric View Post
    I've never had the need for such a thing and don't trust unproven components in anything other than a range blaster. I only use a fixed FSB or pined on gas block sans adjustment.

Quote Originally Posted by UWone77 View Post
    Adjustable gas blocks are ok if you're playing around with a suppressor. If you want it to shoot like a middy, I would just get one.
    Yeah, those were pretty much my points of hesitation, just was wondering about moving back the CG.

Quote Originally Posted by GOST View Post
    You could try a titanium gas block rather than an adjustable. The titanium shouldn't be bothered by heat like the aluminum ones, and be lite enough to shift the center of balance back. Here is one from V7, I no experience with this product though.

http://www.v7weaponsystems.com/colle...-750-gas-block
    Yeah I came across that when I made out that V7 list for you, you're right though, dropping half the weight of the GB instead of moving the whole weight back an inch ought to yield similar results. So, titanium. With about half the thermal expansion coefficient of steel, it's saying it'll just create a tighter seal and more secure fit. Certainly makes sense to a point, but do you think that eventually it might cause the slower expanding gas block to crack?
    -One Nation, Under God

Downloads
    Uploads
    I wouldn't worry about Ti cracking due I heat stress at that level. It's a very heat-tolerant alloy.

Sent from 80ms in the future
    Much peace
    Jimmy