Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads

Why reloads scare me...

... but let me clarify that. COMMERCIALLY AVAILABLE reloads. I wonder how well they inspect components before they load? I know when I do my reloads, I am anal beyond belief on inspecting brass and such before I put it in my press.

But... I was cleaning out some spaces and found a bunch of reloaded ammo I had bought, before I started reloading my own. So I figured a good reason to hit the range and get rid of it. I usually take a broom with me and sweep the area around where I shoot, so I know the brass on the ground around me is mine.

I found this:
    Name:  DSCN0986.JPG
Views: 499
Size:  650.1 KB

No weird noise was noticed, no strange feel... nothing to indicate this happened. I looks like there may be a defect in the wall... see the 'spot weld' looking bulge along the split?

But it was from my gun, of that I am sure. Makes me cringe wondering what could have happened. Sad part is I had 4 different 'brands' of reloaded stuff I was shooting so I can't say whose it was. Good part is I inspected my P229 and all is well.

Stay safe!
    -----------------------------------------------
    Jim
    "You can never have too many guns" - my wife's actual comment
    Alaska Fun

Downloads
    Uploads
    That's totally not cool. Glad you made it out of there safe and sound. What caliber is that? I know .40 is a little more risky than most other calibers.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Plain ol' boring 9mm. Was not a hot load either... a 147gr FMJ that was listed as a subsonic round. Thankfully I was not using my can as no telling how stable to bullet was. Now that I'm reloading 357Sig, this will make me even MORE anal on how much time I spend on my brass prep.
    Jim
    Alaska Fun

Downloads
    Uploads
    I had a split case today too... the more you shoot em the more you reload em and the walls get thinner and thinner. Then add to that sometimes people collect brass from outdoor ranges... that brass might have sat in the weather for days or weeks... it can lead to the weakening of the metal in the cases.

If you have good cases you can reload them a bunch of times... but combine cheap cases that were thin to start with with the other two things I mentioned above... and that can be the result.

Downloads
    Uploads
    This legitimizes my laziness. I will not be worried about reloading, or shooting reloads any time soon!
    There's no "Team" in F**K YOU!

Downloads
    Uploads
    I reloaded about 300 rounds of 300blk last night off of some brass I converted from old 5.56 i had and about 35-40% of the brass I ran on the Dillon did this in the powder station .
    Name:  brass.jpg
Views: 715
Size:  965.5 KB
    It reminds me I need to go play the lotto so I can afford the Giraud annealer .

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Sak007 View Post
    I reloaded about 300 rounds of 300blk last night off of some brass I converted from old 5.56 i had and about 35-40% of the brass I ran on the Dillon did this in the powder station .

It reminds me I need to go play the lotto so I can afford the Giraud annealer .
    I found this when I was looking around at making an annealing machine - I just don't have any place to put it
    Annealeze
    About half the cost of the Giraud...
    Jim
    Alaska Fun

Downloads
    Uploads
    I misread your reply and thought it said annaleaze , now it's in my head and the brand name is weird to me
    Last edited by Sak007; 27 February 2016 at 18:57.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Sak007 View Post
    I misread your reply and thought it said annaleaze , now it's in my head and the brand name is weird to me
    LOL yeah, been a few good jokes on a few sites about the name... but, guys that have them say they work good.
    Jim
    Alaska Fun

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by SwissyJim View Post
    LOL yeah, been a few good jokes on a few sites about the name... but, guys that have them say they work good.
    At $300 it's getting sorta close to the Giraud but with way less capacity and well is $170 less justifiable next to the capacity & quality of the Giraud ?If I did go for the Ann.....I can't even type it , I would have to fabricate a bigger feed system like on the Giraud .
    Name:  annealeezthumb.JPG
Views: 410
Size:  36.0 KBName:  P6120017.JPG
Views: 429
Size:  1.07 MB

Downloads
    Uploads
    not only that, but with the Giraud I don't believe you have to swap parts to do different calibers. Notice the options on the butt one for 'large calibers' and '300blk'.

I just wish I had a place to put one and use it, other than pulling my torch and drill out and sitting at at the dinner table
    Jim
    Alaska Fun

Downloads
    Uploads
    I have too much room and keep using it to justifying buying expensive reloading goodies I can't afford. I just had a new safe put in my basement and need to build benches around it so I'm in reload design mode .

Downloads
    Uploads
    well, I just did about 400 cases last night by hand - socket/drill and a torch standing on the table. My shoulders ache this morning... if I were in your position with all the room, I'd have ordered a machine to do it for me! Guess I need to build that garage this summer...
    Jim
    Alaska Fun

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by SwissyJim View Post
    well, I just did about 400 cases last night by hand - socket/drill and a torch standing on the table. My shoulders ache this morning... if I were in your position with all the room, I'd have ordered a machine to do it for me! Guess I need to build that garage this summer...
    My Dillon has paid for itself a million times over , I feel like I have early onset arthritis when I have to cut , trim , chamfer & deburr my 300blk out brass by hand .

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Joelski View Post
    This legitimizes my laziness. I will not be worried about reloading, or shooting reloads any time soon!
    Your own reloading quality control should be worry free, since you are controlling what brass you reload, how many times, etc, and are hopefully not picking up old and weathered brass off a range...ALAMO.