Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Nathan_Mack View Post

Standard AR mag length.

24" bbl RRA upper, 1/8 twist.
    I should add that this rifle also had a 1.5 pound Jard single stage trigger in it which was damned fine. If I ever build a for-accuracy-only AR15 again in will use another Jard trigger.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Ride4frnt View Post
    Anyone getting any accuracy from 69 or 77gr bullets and h335? I need to cook up some heavier loads for my 18" gun, and there was no varget available locally, so I picked up some h335. I was able to muster about 2moa out of factory loaded 55gr vmax, but I'm sure the gun is more accurate than I am.
    Mixing H335 with good 69 or 77 gr bullets should be illegal. That stuff is nasty blaster ball powder. I only use it when I want to load high flash loads for night shoots with my SBR. I'd never run that crap in a nice barrel.

For a lights out Target load, H322 (21.6-21.8 gr), a 77 gr OTM, and Wolf/Tula primers can't be beat.

For a hot load that's almost as accurate, XBR (23.4 gr), a 77 gr OTM, and WOLF/Tula primers is solid.

The mild russian primers are all the difference in the world in squeezing that last bit of accuracy out, and trimming those SDs down to single or low double digits.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    Mixing H335 with good 69 or 77 gr bullets should be illegal. That stuff is nasty blaster ball powder. I only use it when I want to load high flash loads for night shoots with my SBR. I'd never run that crap in a nice barrel.

For a lights out Target load, H322 (21.6-21.8 gr), a 77 gr OTM, and Wolf/Tula primers can't be beat.

For a hot load that's almost as accurate, XBR (23.4 gr), a 77 gr OTM, and WOLF/Tula primers is solid.

The mild russian primers are all the difference in the world in squeezing that last bit of accuracy out, and trimming those SDs down to single or low double digits.
    What is it about the Russian primers versus regular primers (CCI, Federal, etc) that has them performing so well? What about something like CCI Bench Rest small rifle primers? Not challenging you, just curious. Never used wolf or Tula primers

Downloads
    Uploads
    It's that they're mild. German Salazar wrote an article relating to 308 palma if I remember correctly.... but the essence of the article was.... for precision/competition ammo, you want the mildest primer you can get that won't sacrifice reliable ignition.

We've seen this in Magnum bolt gun loads too. Our best shooting loads run with regular LR primers instead of LR Magnum primers.

One small rifle primer test we did showed BR-4s as the worst grouping. Now that's specific to that load only. But the WOLF SRMs work the best. The one downside to the Russian primers is they don't work good with H335 ball powder. But that powder is nasty anyway, so I just don't shoot it. Or if I find a pound, I'll run CCI primers with it.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks for the info. Like you said, I think it's likely load/rifle/powder/etc dependent. I use BR4s in my .223 match ammo (someone gave me 2000 otherwise I wouldn't pay the extra amount for them and will go back to regular primers when those are used up) and get some seriously awesome groups with reloader 10 X and 4198 powder. In 308 I just use regular primers.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Man... I was in Cabelas a month back, and they wanted like $59 per thousand for BR-4s compared to their regular CCI primers at $39 per thousand.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    Man... I was in Cabelas a month back, and they wanted like $59 per thousand for BR-4s compared to their regular CCI primers at $39 per thousand.
    At my local store its $34 and $53 respectively for regular CCI vs BR4 primers. Nuts! I'll save the $20 and buy nicer boolits

Downloads
    Uploads
    No doubt about it. For extruded powders, the TULA or WOLF run the smallest Standard Deviations anyway.

Downloads
    Uploads
    My buddy let some guy shoot my loads in his accurized AR. I guess due to the terrain it was just under a full 100 yards shooting 5 round groups with 80 SMKs on the left, and 77s on the right.

Downloads
    Uploads
    The best budget accuracy bullet in my mind is the Hornady 55gr SP w/c. They sell for the exact same price as a FMJ bullet and sometimes even cheaper when comparing to other brands. Using IMR 4064 and Wolf SRM primers my PSA mid-length barrel shoots these just over MOA and my 20" Green Mountain A2 will put them right at MOA. I'm currently buying these from Midsouth, who sell them packaged under their Varmint Nightmare store brand, for $8 per hundred. Exact same bullet as the Hornady though. Each round costs me about 19 cents.

For a bullet that shoots well and expands, it's about double the price to step up to something more accurate.

From my PSA with a button rifled FN barrel

Downloads
    Uploads
    Guys, I have a $25 gift card to use at bass pro. Usually I would use this on fishing tackle, but God knows I have thousands of dollars of it that doesn't get used already. I think I'm gonna pick up some heavy bullets for my 18" gun. They have hornady 68's and 75's. Which do you think would be a better start for my 18" BHW 1:8 twist polygonal rifled barrel, since I don't have the money for both up front? I think I'll try 68's first but want an expert opinion on this

Downloads
    Uploads
    68gr hornady's shot very well out of my RA match barrel, give em a try

Downloads
    Uploads
    Just make sure to buy thr 75gr BTHP and not the 75gr Amax. The Amax isn't meant to be loaded to magazine lengths.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by WestTXarms View Post
    Just make sure to buy thr 75gr BTHP and not the 75gr Amax. The Amax isn't meant to be loaded to magazine lengths.
    X2...forgot to add that tidbit of info...

Downloads
    Uploads

Reloaders whats your favorite plinking/ accuracy load?

Quote Originally Posted by mustangfreek View Post
    X2...forgot to add that tidbit of info...
    What about 68? Also bthp?

Edit: nevermind both of the ones i was looking at were 68 and 75 bthp. The best ammo the rifle has seen so far is 55gr vmax. About 1.25" groups at 100yds. 68 and a proper charge oughta tighten that right up.