Downloads
    Uploads

RifenBark Armory S.O.M Brake

So locally there is only one gunsmith near us, and all of the local gun shops send your stuff to this one gunsmith if it requires a gunsmith. I found this out on the wife's rifle build. What I found out was this guy also had his manufacturer's license and he was milling out his own lower receivers and other parts.

So now instead of going to the local gun shops when we need some work done we just go straight to Scott. Just recently Scott submitted the patent paper work for his own brake called Sound of Madness ( S.O.M ). I have watched the video he has posted and I am thinking of picking one up to review it and maybe pass on to anyone else here on the forums that wants to review it. He is a local guy and runs his business out of the shop next to his house. He does all his own work to include his website.

The Rifenbark Armory engineering department has spent four months designing and prototyping the S.O.M. (Sound Of Madness) muzzle brake. We've always had specific goals in mind and would not accept anything less.

Remove muzzle flip and lower felt recoil.

Minimize grouping size due to less shot anticipation.

Decrease shot split time by keeping your sights on target.

Engineering of the Rifenbark Armory Muzzle Brake: This is a ducted port muzzle brake that is calibrated to remove barrel rise and keep your sights on target. The directional top ports are angled to provide compensation to the rising rotary force of muzzle climb. The 'valve cover' ports form a directional jet of gases as opposed to the typical plume you see in most muzzle brakes. Once muzzle rise on the S.O.M. (Sound of Madness) was controlled we began to remove felt recoil. We accomplished this by incorporating characterized interruptions at specific locations in the side ports. These unify side to side forces as the bulk of the gases are dumped perpendicular to the axis of fire. These features allow a precise amount of gas to release through the top ports (keeping the muzzle flat) while gases are re-directed out of the side baffles to prevent excessive felt recoil. Get SOM!
    Rifenbark Armory
    Last edited by Computalotapus; 10 May 2014 at 16:14.
    Just a regular guy.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I wish there was some way that we could all effectively measure reduction in muzzle flip, torqueing over, felt and "perceived" recoil, to test our various brakes, and announce a winner. Of course this would be impractical, if not impossible.

My Epsilons came with prongs to add "flash hider" to their other claims of being a combo comp/brake. Won't know if that's true until I can get to a buds farm, were he has a hill for a berm, and it's safe to shoot at night.

This is not a comment as to the S.O.M., but we can watch video's until we're blue in the face, or each can comment on their own "perceived" effectiveness. Then again, all things would have to be nearly equal, gun weight, etc., or they would all have to be fired on one gun.

I used to have a Safari Grade Remington .375 H&H, which due to weight, really wasn't that much to handle, except off of bags on the bench, while working up loads. About 10 or 15 rounds and it got old pretty quick. I bought a brake from Brownells, had a local gunsmith thread my barrel and install it, and then it was about on par with a .300 Weatherby Mag I had. Not fun, but easily doable maybe 40 rounds, before I crapped out.

It would be cool to be able to test a bunch of them side-by-side, though.

FT
    NRA Life Member
    Deplorables Life Member
    Bible and Gun Clinger
    Filthy Stinking Wal Mart Shopper

Downloads
    Uploads
    FT I hear yeah. But you know we all hear about the big companies products. I want to give the little guy a chance and compare him to what the big guys are kicking out. I would like to just buy one and pass it on to one of the bigger blogger reviewers on here and see what they say. I know the guys on WEVO are honest guys and will give honest opinions.

Some shops just can't afford the marketing plan that others can. And the way they do it is by getting it reviewed by those that touch the masses.
    Just a regular guy.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Computalotapus View Post
    FT I hear yeah. But you know we all hear about the big companies products. I want to give the little guy a chance and compare him to what the big guys are kicking out. I would like to just buy one and pass it on to one of the bigger blogger reviewers on here and see what they say. I know the guys on WEVO are honest guys and will give honest opinions.

Some shops just can't afford the marketing plan that others can. And the way they do it is by getting it reviewed by those that touch the masses.
    Oh, I knew what you were saying, and I wasn't discounting the S.O.M. brake, I was just really thinking out loud about how cool it would be, if we could somehow get them all in one pile, and somehow measure them in one big batch, and had a realistic way of measuring their effectiveness, other than our shoulders, and ability to keep the muzzle on target during rapid fire. That's all I was trying to say.

I'm glad you can get the guy's comp on here. As we all know, most great gun products came from a guy with a mill and a lathe and a good idea, in a small corner shop, a few years down and they have a great product line.. and a big customer base, and maybe 50 to 100 employees.

FT
    NRA Life Member
    Deplorables Life Member
    Bible and Gun Clinger

Downloads
    Uploads
    Certainly has a unique look. I could see it being a big hit with the race gun crowd if it performs.
    -One Nation, Under God

-"The bad news is time flies. The good news is you're the pilot." ~ Michael Althsuler

Downloads
    Uploads
    Going to talk to Scott on Monday see if I can acquire one for someone to review :)
    Just a regular guy.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Aragorn View Post
    I could see it being a big hit with the race gun crowd
    Funny comment being it looks like a V12 engine.....
    Might be in contention for the barrel from the 50k contest.
    It's difficult to soar with eagles, when you work with turkeys...

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by camomike View Post
    Funny comment being it looks like a V12 engine.....
    Might be in contention for the barrel from the 50k contest.
    Definitely no mistaking which side goes up...

FT
    NRA Life Member
    Deplorables Life Member
    Bible and Gun Clinger

Downloads
    Uploads
    Whitey from Four Guys Guns is going to do a review on it. Christina talked to him today so we are gonna get one in his hands.
    Just a regular guy.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Whitey from Four Guys Guns is going to do a review on it. Christina talked to him today so we are gonna get one in his hands.
    Interested in what he has to say about it. Depending, I just might dime out on the target crown version.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Scott mailed me 2 of these, one for a fund raiser event the wife has been working on for almost 6 months and the other for review. Mailed the second off to Four Guys Guns today.
    Just a regular guy.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Scott mailed me 2 of these, one for a fund raiser event the wife has been working on for almost 6 months and the other for review. Mailed the second off to Four Guys Guns today.
    Cool, make sure you keep us posted....

FT
    NRA Life Member
    Deplorables Life Member
    Bible and Gun Clinger

Downloads
    Uploads
    Any word on these? Was still a bit curious about it.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I know Whitely at Four Guys Guns has reviewed it I don't know if they said anything about it yet. I will ask the wife after she gets out of bed and only after she has her coffee
    Just a regular guy.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Hey guys Whitey will be doing his YouTube review of the SOM next week. I will post the link when he sends it to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk