Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads
    If your set on the forged set, I agree with River, let her choose the rollmark that she likes best. Lots of great options out there...another vote for Noveske!

Sent from the center of the universe!

Downloads
    Uploads
    My wife just set out some guidelines and let me run from there. I ended up getting lucky and found some rare/unique parts at the time I was building it out so her rifle is a hodgepodge of things. Shoots sub-moa with 77gr .223 rounds, the fit is super tight and shoots incredibly smooth. This got her more interested in shooting my bolt gun so a .308 of her own might be next on the agenda.

Highlights:
    Complete upper by Iron Brigade Armory
    Hart Barrel
    War Sports/Legion lower
    Geiselle 2-stage
    Leupold glass

I really need to start taking quality photos of my weapons...

Downloads
    Uploads
    I wish my girl would shoot a rifle. The only guns she shoots out of my collection are my Henry lever action .22 and my Beretta 92. At least she shoots those though.

Downloads
    Uploads
    UW -

I hate to admit it, but I spent too much time today looking at pink components for your wife's carbine. I'm ashamed to say that I now know that the Battle Arms BAD-ASS and Tactical Link EBAL components aren't cerakoted with the same shade of pink.

If I weren't so happy that your wife is showing interest, I would curse you for putting me in touch with my feminine side. Heaven forbid this process somehow leads to severe manscaping.

Downloads
    Uploads
    My wife says she knows 'more than she wants to' regarding AR's since my interest in them has greatly increased since we got married 9 years ago and she has taken multiple training courses. She wanted 'her rifle', so I just let her choose and went from there. I'm still waiting on a few parts to be sent for TiN coating (she's always wanted a gold trigger, so hey, she gets a gold trigger).

I did throw her a curve-ball though and told her since it was going to be her rifle that she would have to build it herself! :D

I posted a few of these earlier but will throw 'em up here again since it pertains to this thread.

Seekins Billet Receivers
    Fortis 14" REV
    Vltor A5
    Mega Trigger
    SIONICS Barrel

Installing the barrel nut

Torquing (dont judge, my reaction rod was in the mail and I couldn't wait to assemble)

Gas block/tube installation

Rail alignment

Muzzle device

Done!

Downloads
    Uploads

Downloads
    Uploads
    Easy rich, take her down to your hangout..Rainier and let her touch and feel all the different rails etc...It would be like shopping for her, but for you..lol...

But ill just stand back and wait for pics..

Downloads
    Uploads
    Rich,
    For my wife she doesn't like the feel of metal in her hands so I went with Magpul forend. Light weight was definitely the goal so I used a DD Lw barrel, Vltor forward assit-less upper, RA XTC, RUC factory lower and a BCM mod 3 CH, she wanted a wider handle so it wasn't as hard on her hands. She also preferred a angled foregrip over a vertical grip. I've been debating on trying to get a railed gas block or a flip up one so she can co witness with the Strikefire she has, she gets rusty and doesn't seem as accurate as when she could just put the dot on the front post.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by mustangfreek View Post
    Easy rich, take her down to your hangout..Rainier and let her touch and feel all the different rails etc...It would be like shopping for her, but for you..lol...

But ill just stand back and wait for pics..
    Jason,

Why would I have to leave the house, I have every rail/grip/stock already I know, you hate me.

Actually, over the weekend, she tried out various grips, and it looks like the MOE stuff will workout for her. Then again it may change during actual shooting. Nothing is set in stone, and the furniture is the least of my worries.

I'm going to figure out what receivers to cerakote and which barrel to use.

Here's what my buddy Mike at AR15Chatterbox.com built:

Downloads
    Uploads
    But....its pink
    Just a regular guy.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Computalotapus View Post
    But....its pink
    You just have an eye for details

Downloads
    Uploads
    My Wife said absolutely no to pink.

She ended up with a 16" Sabre Defence barrel with an A2 upper and fixed FSB with a rifle length FDE MOE handguard and matching FDE MOE furniture. One rail section to mount a flashlight finished off her home defense rifle.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I like all the pink details, the sling ,bad lever and trigger. Nice work! Mrs.ZKK doesn't like the pink either, she does like the Moe handguard, went with black. I made the new pistol to be simple for her to run. I was going to go with a light barrel rifle but the pistol lightens things up and make for a compact package.
    Last edited by ZKK; 12 May 2014 at 13:22.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I went from the use end and worked backwards.

The problems with rifles for everyone, but especially women, are:
    1) Heavy
    2) Hot
    3) Loud
    4) Long
    5) "Painful" (not really, but people equate recoil to pain)

some of these issues countermand one another. For example, if you try to address #5 with a full brake, you increase the issues relative to #4. If you try to address the issue of #5 with a mid-length gas system, you increase weight (however incrementally). and in general, any time you reduce weight, you increase felt recoil. With that in mind...

The way I addressed each issue
    1) Heavy
    -barrel that is 14.5" long, 0.625" OD
    -carbine-length gas system
    -Troy Alpha Handguard
    -9mm flattop upper with gas-hole drilled (no forward assist, no bras deflector, no door)
    -Iron sights (today I'd probably get one of the small reflex sights)

2) Hot
    -Tan furniture
    -12.0-13.0 handguard (to cover barrel)
    -Squid grips for handguard

3) Loud
    -FH, not brake (at the time I used a Vltor, today I'd probably use a BCM Comp as it's not fully as loud as a real brake)

4) Long
    -Magpul K-Grip
    -CAR stock
    -14.5" barrel

5) "Painful"
    -de-burred all plastic
    -plasti-dip the CAR stock
    -Vltor FH (rumored to have mild braking effect, today I'd go with BCM comp)

Something to avoid is the urge to do a gun in 9mm. IME the 9mm AR kicks more than the 5.56. If your lady is truly recoil averse, get a S&W M&P15-22 and be done.
    WWW.TACTICALYELLOWVISOR.NET

Downloads
    Uploads
    BTW:

What Alaska says is a good point... let her pick her parts if you can. Or, build the whole thing and hand it to her as a surprise. If you try and do anything in between the two, like showing her the parts as they come in and getting her opinion, you'll never finish. If you're going to go the route of surprising her with a complete gun, but you want to get some input from her, get other guns for her to try and pay attention to WHY she likes certain parts. She may like a DD handguard over a Larue for no reason other than the DD is "pretty" because it's tan. If you don't know the why and then get a black DD handguard, she'll think you weren't listening.
    WWW.TACTICALYELLOWVISOR.NET