Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads
    [QUOTE=DMViergever;54111

I did however have a SCAR in to do some photography for a company the other day and now she wants one of those with BROWE optic....FML.[/QUOTE]
    I don't feel bad about your problems, I have a wife and there by some of my own...
    It's difficult to soar with eagles, when you work with turkeys...

Downloads
    Uploads
    I've had a 16" DD Carbine LW barrel sitting in the closet for over 2 years now. I picked it up specifically to build the wife a light rifle but so many other things came up in the meantime. The plan is to do a forged upper/lower, Auto BCG, Centurion 12" CMR (thinking maybe even 10 or 11"), carbine extension and a light stock. I'll probably set her up with a PA Micro dot or similar budget dot as she wouldn't shoot as much as I do, but I'd still want something that works for when I "borrow" it. It's not one of the crazy 5lb diet rifles, but my old 16" M4 was just a bit too heavy for her to hold up, so I'm thinking LW barrel and CMR should help it stay light out front, and we can mount a Surefire Scout 300 for the house.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by LanceCriminal View Post
    I've had a 16" DD Carbine LW barrel sitting in the closet for over 2 years now. I picked it up specifically to build the wife a light rifle but so many other things came up in the meantime. The plan is to do a forged upper/lower, Auto BCG, Centurion 12" CMR (thinking maybe even 10 or 11"), carbine extension and a light stock. I'll probably set her up with a PA Micro dot or similar budget dot as she wouldn't shoot as much as I do, but I'd still want something that works for when I "borrow" it. It's not one of the crazy 5lb diet rifles, but my old 16" M4 was just a bit too heavy for her to hold up, so I'm thinking LW barrel and CMR should help it stay light out front, and we can mount a Surefire Scout 300 for the house.

I've got a 14.5" DD LW Barrel but haven't been sitting on it as long as you have, but my wife's rifle project has taken a backseat. My wife has been asking here and there, so I might have to move it to the front burner here pretty soon.

Downloads
    Uploads

Building a Rifle for your Wife

Random thoughts.

Going short would help with weight. Going 300 BLK means good performance from short. I know it'll be a while, but we can SBR finally so maybe take advantage of that?

Something like an 8.2" Noveske barrel under a BCM 9" KMR paired to maybe an V7 upper on top of a Noveske Gen2 FFL would be pretty sweet. Of course it might be a bit of a trick finding an unused stripped Gen2 but I bet they are out there.

http://www.v7weaponsystems.com/colle...upper-assembly

Maybe a hybrid brake like a MAMS (OK, adds a bit of weight, but.. shrug).

You could even go the route I did and make custom G10 panels.

If pink is in order, you could do a two tone black and pink.

http://usaknifemaker.com/handle-mate...lack-3-16.html

-john
    Last edited by bzdog; 23 June 2014 at 21:59.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Aero Precision has an upper/lower set cerakoted pink on sale right now

http://aeroprecisionusa.com/ar15-str...blemished.html

Sent from the center of the universe!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Airborne_EWO View Post
    Aero Precision has an upper/lower set cerakoted pink on sale right now

http://aeroprecisionusa.com/ar15-str...blemished.html

Thanks for the link, I had her look at that, but she feels like that's too much pink. She wants to keep the furniture pink, but will probably go with a light colored cerakoted receivers, like Rainier's Concrete, Titanium, or Tungsten.

She's still trying out different handguards, so while she tries to decide on that, I think I'll just go have the gas block pinned to the DD barrel.

Slowly but surely.

Downloads
    Uploads
    You're welcome, glad its coming together.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by UWone77 View Post
    I've got a 14.5" DD LW Barrel but haven't been sitting on it as long as you have, but my wife's rifle project has taken a backseat. My wife has been asking here and there, so I might have to move it to the front burner here pretty soon.
    I was thinking about throwing a can on it someday, but honestly I don't know if she'd appreciate the weight. I actually was thinking of just throwing a duckbill ur-M16 style FH on there, just to mix it up a little.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by LanceCriminal View Post
    I was thinking about throwing a can on it someday, but honestly I don't know if she'd appreciate the weight. I actually was thinking of just throwing a duckbill ur-M16 style FH on there, just to mix it up a little.
    Definitely not going with a can for the wife. If she wants to shoot suppressed, other guns are available.

Based on my wife's weight and strength, this is definitely going towards the lightweight scale. Tentatively we are going to use the BCM 13" KMR rail with the 14.5 LW DD barrel.

I haven't decided on receivers, but forged will be the route.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Definitely not going with a can for the wife. If she wants to shoot suppressed, other guns are available.

Based on my wife's weight and strength, this is definitely going towards the lightweight scale. Tentatively we are going to use the BCM 13" KMR rail with the 14.5 LW DD barrel.

Basically my thoughts too. I want a Centurion CMR to try out, so why not on her rifle? The 11" seems to have some more material shaved out of it, I think that would be perfect for her!

Downloads
    Uploads

Why not the 13" KMR with BCM's ELW-F 14.5" barrel?

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Calengor View Post
    Why not the 13" KMR with BCM's ELW-F 14.5" barrel?
    That's obviously a great combination and in fact I was thinking about just scrapping the idea and going with a factory BCM 14.5 LW upper with the KMR already installed, but I already obtained the LW DD Barrel. It was one that Rainier wanted to test some cerakote on, so they sold it to me pretty cheap. Over the weekend I was going back and forth with ideas, and mocked up an upper with the 14.5" DD barrel and an 11" Centurion CMR Rail. I think we may have a winner here.

Downloads
    Uploads
    ....mocked up an upper with the 14.5" DD barrel and an 11" Centurion CMR Rail. I think we may have a winner here.
    UW -

Nice "spare" rail to be lying around. I don't think you can go wrong with a CMR, BCM's KMR or MI's SS/SSK/SSM rails - all of them have that small OD which allows someone with smaller hands to comfortably experiment with grips and stances and see what works at baseline.

When my older daughter was visiting last year, all it took was grabbing a slim-railed carbine and offering a quick "try this." We made a few adjustments to the stance after the photo was taken (and I've since swapped the MOE grip for a K2 to fix that chicken wing), but she never came close to running out of rail space. Based on seeing the kiddo experiment, I expect the 11" CMR will be perfect for your wife.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by RiverRat View Post
    UW -

Nice "spare" rail to be lying around. I don't think you can go wrong with a CMR, BCM's KMR or MI's SS/SSK/SSM rails - all of them have that small OD which allows someone with smaller hands to comfortably experiment with grips and stances and see what works at baseline.

When my older daughter was visiting last year, all it took was grabbing a slim-railed carbine and offering a quick "try this." We made a few adjustments to the stance after the photo was taken (and I've since swapped the MOE grip for a K2 to fix that chicken wing), but she never came close to running out of rail space. Based on seeing the kiddo experiment, I expect the 11" CMR will be perfect for your wife.

RR,

I'm curious, how tall is your daughter in the picture? Looks like she has plenty of space on handguards for her arms to stretch out.

I was just thinking about this a few nights ago when we were playing around with handguards and I thought, my very first Noveske has a 11" SWS rail and she found plenty of space in that one, but didn't like the quad rail.

I then remembered I had a 11" CMR so bam!

It's funny how just a few years ago when I used a 14" DD Lite rail, everyone thought it was just too long. Now everyone is gravitating towards 13.5-15" Rail systems. 9, 10, and 11" are relegated to step child status.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Funny you mention the rail fad. I remember flowing through all the fads, participated in some myself. Quad rails, piston guns, 6.8, modular rails, now keymod an mlok. Not to say any aren't without merits, just watching the forum flavors of the month.

Im hoping an 11" CMR with 16" pencil barrel will balance nicely. Wife doesnt have lots of upper arm strength so balance is important.