Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads

Any one playing around with the 6.5 cartridges in their AR?

Anyone?

I am intrigued in by the numbers and such the 6.5's put out , Whether it be the grendel or creedmoor.

I have wanted to do a build in a 6.5 creedmoor, for when i really want to reach out and touch something..lol..My old man has a 6.5x .284 bolt action that is a laser beam and dime sized groups out at 300 so far...

Fast and carry their speed for a while.

So anyone playing with 6.5's? Maybe a list of needs and such and what barrels, mags, etc you used and how it shoots etc. factory or handloads.... As i would be hand loading for either.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I had considered a 6.5 grendel. I have heard that it's still supersonic at 1000 yards, which is better than a AR-10.
    DEUTERONOMY 6:5
    flickr
    facebook
    The gift of mental power comes from God, Divine Being, and if we concentrate our minds on that truth, we become in tune with this great power - Nikola Telsa

Downloads
    Uploads
    I've been meaning to build up a 6.5 Grendel. I have a Black Hole Weaponry 16" barrel and a bolt, but so far the project has been on the back burner. Not a lot of opportunity to stretch her legs on a proper range for distance.

Here's a chart I copied from 65grendel.com

20" Barrel from 65grendel.com

Bullet Muzzle 100meters 200meters 500meters
    108gr 2700 2502 2312 1793
    123gr 2600 2427 2261 1803
    144gr 2450 2296 2147 1736

Downloads
    Uploads
    I have thought about it and the Alexander Arms rifle is what really got me back into wanting an AR. The more I think about it the more the 308 works for me as an all purpose long range/hunting rifle. Doesn't mean I don't want a 6.5 just means that build is a good ways down the road for me.
    Just a regular guy.

Downloads
    Uploads
    All good info. I have always been interested in building something different then the "normal AR calibers"... and the grendel and even more the creedmoor have some very good numbers especially to reach out there..Which is what i will do or get another bolt gun..

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by mustangfreek View Post
    All good info. I have always been interested in building something different then the "normal AR calibers"... and the grendel and even more the creedmoor have some very good numbers especially to reach out there..Which is what i will do or get another bolt gun..

If you don't want a bolt gun.. And you want a big boy round...Nemo Arms has a 300 Win. Mag that looks very awesome.
    Just a regular guy.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks, but the 6.5 round is where my mind is at, one day it will happen.

But .300 win mag in a bolt gun setup right is a helluva shooter also.. Im thinking AR platform.

Does any one do 6.5 creedmoor or .260 rem barrels?

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by mustangfreek View Post
    Thanks, but the 6.5 round is where my mind is at, one day it will happen.

But .300 win mag in a bolt gun setup right is a helluva shooter also.. Im thinking AR platform.

Does any one do 6.5 creedmoor or .260 rem barrels?

JUst clarifying the Nemo Arms is not a bolt gun...it is an AR platform 300 Win. Mag
    Just a regular guy.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Got ya, ya i googled it just now..

Downloads
    Uploads
    I bought LMT MWS .308 to use with their 6.5 CM offering barrel.

Haven't shot the 6.5CM yet as I am waiting for some free time to go to range...
    but the 308 barrel I have which is 16" SS barrel is pretty accurate. More so than I thought it would from a gas gun.
    I'm shooting FGMM 175 's out of it.

The 6.5CM I will use hornady 140 gr A-max match rounds.

Will update after I get back from the range.

Most of my shooting will stay under 1000 yards.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Joeyk View Post
    I bought LMT MWS .308 to use with their 6.5 CM offering barrel.

Haven't shot the 6.5CM yet as I am waiting for some free time to go to range...
    but the 308 barrel I have which is 16" SS barrel is pretty accurate. More so than I thought it would from a gas gun.
    I'm shooting FGMM 175 's out of it.

The 6.5CM I will use hornady 140 gr A-max match rounds.

Will update after I get back from the range.

Most of my shooting will stay under 1000 yards.
    Welcome...and thanks for reviving this...lol...a 6.5/.260 still in the back of my mind

Please do stick around and let us know how the 6.5 shoots for you..

Downloads
    Uploads
    Just built AR in 260 Remington. Currently running 22" JP Super match barrel 1:8 twist. I have a 24" Kreiger barrel on order, but it won't be delivered until March 2015. No factory match ammo available, so I've been reloading for it. So far have used 123gn Nosler and 142gn SMK'S, Lapua brass and H4831. Still looking for a load it likes, as accuracy has not matched my AR 308, using Federal 168gn match. Range from 100-300yds. It is a much smoother shooting platform compared to the 308. I hope to get both rifles out to 1000yds next April at Quantico.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I intend to build one in 6.5 Grendel for sure. I'm very impressed with the ballistics curve of the round. At 500 yards it passes a .308 bullet in flight. Its accurate designed range is 800 yards. Yep, I want one.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Computalotapus View Post
    If you don't want a bolt gun.. And you want a big boy round...Nemo Arms has a 300 Win. Mag that looks very awesome.
    That's interesting. Back in my serious hunting days the .300 Win Mag was my favorite go to rifle for deer/boar and up sized game. Later, that cal. was replaced with the 300 Wby Mag. That's what caught my attention in an article I was reading, just the other day, that the S.E.A.L's were using the .300 Win Mag. I'm assuming this is for a long range gun, but I'd also heard that SOCOM units were also using .300 Lapua for some long range tag games. I'm surprised that belted cartridges would be reliable, rapid fire, out of a magazine. Learn something everyday, I guess.
    NRA Life Member
    Deplorables Life Member
    Bible and Gun Clinger
    Filthy Stinking Wal Mart Shopper

Downloads
    Uploads
    I'll be in the market for a 6.5 Grendel upper build right after I get the ball rolling on a 7.62 Saker...... The whole idea of having a powerful, accurate chambering to reload is right up my alley.