Downloads
    Uploads

Midwest Industries New Lightweight KeyMod

Midwest Industries KeyMod will now be available in a new lightweight version.
    This 12” handguard with barrel nut has a total weight of 8.1 oz. Like our MI-SSK this handguard has five anti rotation QD sling swivel sockets.
    The top has picatinny directly in front of the upper to allow for those who may need that little bit of extra room for the mounting of their optic. It also has just enough picatinny rail on the front to mount your iron sight.
    Between the rail sections there are 10 fully functional KeyMod Slots.
    This hand will be available in 12” and 15” versions and other lengths may follow.
    These handguards are through the T&E process and should be available in 3-4 weeks.

Thank you,
    PETE
    MI

Downloads
    Uploads
    Whats the weights on this bad boy?
    DEUTERONOMY 6:5
    flickr
    facebook
    The gift of mental power comes from God, Divine Being, and if we concentrate our minds on that truth, we become in tune with this great power - Nikola Telsa

Downloads
    Uploads
    That's a pretty nice looking rail.

Having the keymod on the top is an interesting concept. Designed that way to save more weight?

Sent from the center of the universe!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by GOST View Post
    Whats the weights on this bad boy?
    GOST,
    In the OP it's weight is given as 8.1 oz. for the 12". I have this in the 15" version and I think it's about 9.5 oz. I believe this hand guard has been reviewed on the forum already, by DMViergever, who does occasional product reviews here. It is also, I think. on guns and tactics website and on his blog almosttactical.com.

I will be using mine over an Adams Arms "Voodoo" Ultra Lite 16" barrel, on my latest project.

FT
    NRA Life Member
    Deplorables Life Member
    Bible and Gun Clinger
    Filthy Stinking Wal Mart Shopper

Downloads
    Uploads
    Sorry, i need better reading skills.
    DEUTERONOMY 6:5
    flickr
    facebook
    The gift of mental power comes from God, Divine Being, and if we concentrate our minds on that truth, we become in tune with this great power - Nikola Telsa

Downloads
    Uploads
    Wow. I've got one of the early release 12" slotted (original Gen 2 SS) rails and there's a lot about it to like whole family of handguards. It really does make a nice platform for these variants and it's plenty light even in the original form. Short of a radical materials change, nut redesign or new clamping system, there doesn't seem to be much meat left on the bone for weight reduction after this.

SS 12 (slotted) weight: 9.3 oz.
    SSK-12 (keymod or M-LOK) weight: 8.5 oz.
    SSK-12 (lite keymod or lite M-LOK) weight: 8.1 oz.

As far as design - its got me wondering. It looks like they broke the sharpest edges contacted in a c-clamp grip. This might be a greater benefit than the last 0.4 oz saved. Also wondering how hot that top surface will get with less thermal mass. Looking forward to hearing what people have to say when these start showing up in the wild.
    Last edited by RiverRat; 16 May 2014 at 16:14.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by FortTom View Post
    GOST,
    In the OP it's weight is given as 8.1 oz. for the 12". I have this in the 15" version and I think it's about 9.5 oz. I believe this hand guard has been reviewed on the forum already, by DMViergever, who does occasional product reviews here. It is also, I think. on guns and tactics website and on his blog almosttactical.com.

I will be using mine over an Adams Arms "Voodoo" Ultra Lite 16" barrel, on my latest project.

FT
    Are you sure you are not referring to the normal keymod Gen2, and not this yet-to-be released lightweight variant?

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Axlnut View Post
    Are you sure you are not referring to the normal keymod Gen2, and not this yet-to-be released lightweight variant?
    If it's yet to be released, then obviously I've got them mixed up. But the OP by Midwest lists it at 8.1oz. My 15" is what I must be confused about, since I have one.

Thanks for catching that,

FT
    NRA Life Member
    Deplorables Life Member
    Bible and Gun Clinger

Downloads
    Uploads
    I really like the idea of the keymods on the top rail. Good thing I have a couple lowers that need completing. I have been thinking of replacing my current SS Gen 2 with a keymod rail. I now know what I want to gift myself for my birthday.

Downloads
    Uploads
    hummm..Looks light, thats for sure

Downloads
    Uploads
    I have one Keymod rifle, and one being built. I'm wondering if Magpuls new T-Slot design, along with vast support for it from vendors, is going to kill off anymore R&D and production of Keymod accessories? I guess I can get by with what I have for now. I also have another Keymod rail coming from the Members giveaway. So, I'll need to get what I think I might want in the future, now.

I posted, a while back, about whether or not Keymod would catch on, or fade away. Looks more like it's going to be killed off, instead.

FT
    NRA Life Member
    Deplorables Life Member
    Bible and Gun Clinger

Downloads
    Uploads
    I bought the first MI 12" keymod strictly for weight savings as I had no interest in hanging anything off the rail except for MBUS and RDS. And I'm glad I did. It's slim and very comfortable in the hand with no sharp edges.

My next hand guard will be carbon fiber with no mbus for even more weight savings.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Has anyone tried to stick a kx5 under one of these? Sort of tired of waiting for nsr to be in stock and this rail looks pretty light

Downloads
    Uploads
    I just ordered a MLOK MI handguard. I wanted the lightweight version, but the rail section on the top-front is just a tad too short for me. I'd have bit on either the lightweight MLOK or Keymod if the rail section was long rpenought for a front sight and and X300.
    WWW.TACTICALYELLOWVISOR.NET

Downloads
    Uploads
    Pete - any plans on making ones for 10"?