Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads

Spare upper, opinions needed.

Since UWone77 graciously got me a CMT billet upper for my 18" build through the giveaway, I now have a spare forged upper at home and I'm thinking about the possibilities for it.

Rifles I currently have are a 14.5" 5.56, 16" 5.56, 16" .300blk and the 18" 5.56. Basically I want to look into my options for another upper, or possibly a pistol.

What would you do with a spare upper in this case? I've thought about the alternatives like 6.5 Grendel, 6.8 SPC etc. it's a possibility but I'm not sure I want to buy ammo for another caliber. Although if I do go 6.8 it will double as a deer gun for me.

Keep in mind that my options are limited to building just an upper and swapping it onto one of my existing lowers, or using an 80% and building that way. Maryland won't let me buy anymore lowers.

Right now I think I may be leaning toward a pistol build on top of an 80% lower (ares, JMT, etc) Does anyone have any experience with these lowers?

Downloads
    Uploads
    Wilson Combat .458 SOCOM FTW!

WC usually has their barrel/matched bolt sets on sale. This is what I really want to build next.

Sent from the center of the universe!

Downloads
    Uploads
    If you're looking to possibly do a pistol, a 8.5" in 300blk would be a pretty sweet house gun. Or even just in general. It's what I was going to do with mine until I priced ammo.
    -One Nation, Under God

-"The bad news is time flies. The good news is you're the pilot." ~ Michael Althsuler

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Airborne_EWO View Post

WC usually has their barrel/matched bolt sets on sale. This is what I really want to build next.

What exactly is the purpose of .458 SOCOM?

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by UWone77 View Post
    What exactly is the purpose of .458 SOCOM?
    From my own research as I have no practical experience with this round, YET

As the name implies, it was originally designed for the SF community as an alternative to 5.56 for tactical applications. From researching it works great with subsonic and a supressor as well as non-supressed.

Seems like it would be the ultimate 1 shot round for home defense in an AR platform. Works with a standard lower and mag with no issues. Only thing that needs to be done is to open up the ejection port on the upper to provide clearance for the larger brass.

It also would be great for hunting hog with its 300-600g bullets.

Edit: not sure if WC has them in stock or not, but for $500-$600 you get a barrel, BCG, adjustable gas block & tube, and a flash hider/supressor adaptor.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Aragorn View Post
    If you're looking to possibly do a pistol, a 8.5" in 300blk would be a pretty sweet house gun. Or even just in general. It's what I was going to do with mine until I priced ammo.
    We do reload at home, and I have a surplus of .300blk, but where that round really shines is suppressed, and I have all supersonic rounds. I have no suppressors nor do I aspire (at the moment) to deal with the NFA. If I do a pistol it will likely be a 10.5" 5.56 on a 80% lower. I could be persuaded into .300blk again but it's not on the top of my list.

Truth be told I'm dealing with A LOT of issues right now, and spare money is what is being used to finance guns. It's what makes me happy. This and fishing. And lord knows I have as much in 2 rods and reels as I do in one of my rifles.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Hmmm, just threw that out as it seemed quite a bit different from anything else in your stable. The 6.8 to double as a hunting gun isn't a horrid idea, or you could always do a clone of some sort.
    -One Nation, Under God

-"The bad news is time flies. The good news is you're the pilot." ~ Michael Althsuler

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Aragorn View Post
    Hmmm, just threw that out as it seemed quite a bit different from anything else in your stable. The 6.8 to double as a hunting gun isn't a horrid idea, or you could always do a clone of some sort.
    Don't get me wrong, it's a fantastic idea, but after the first .300blk build I'm kind of reluctant to do another until I have the funds to buy a can.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Seems like it would be the ultimate 1 shot round for home defense in an AR platform.
    I typically try to avoid hijacking threads, but this is about some of the worst advice I've seen recently. It's a horrible HD round.
    Over-penetration. More recoil. 9 round mag. Not to mention the highly increased cost and limited availability.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Another upper to consider is a S&W 5.45. The cheap mil spam cans may be banned, but other options are still cheaper than 5.56.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric View Post
    I typically try to avoid hijacking threads, but this is about some of the worst advice I've seen recently. It's a horrible HD round.
    Over-penetration. More recoil. 9 round mag. Not to mention the highly increased cost and limited availability.

Its understandable that there would be more recoil. However, that can be somewhat mitigated by using a heavy barrel, buffer, and stiffer spring. Yes, it will still kick more.

9 round mag - How many rounds do you need?

I can't disagree with the over penatration.

Only real increased cost would be the price of ammo. If you reload it helps save some money.

Again, I have no hands-on experience with this round and highly recommend that anyone building an AR do their own research first.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Sounds like you need a 10.5, 11.5 or 12.5"

Contrary to most opinions, there is nothing wrong leaving that upper unbuilt for the time being!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Most likely will be going unbuilt for a while until I figure out what the financial situation is gonna be. Gotta keep my mind occupied otherwise thinking about it though.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I chuckled to myself at the advice to leave it unbuilt because that is really the most practical advice, but I would be tempted to "do something" with it just because I have it. You have a decent variety from my perspective. I guess if it were me in the same situation with no immediate "need", andthe advantage of having been suggested the option to just sit on it, I woulddo just that. If there isn't anything glaringly missing from your lineup just hold on to it. Kick around some ideas, and wait for the clouds to part one day with sunbeams from heaven pointing you to the solution when it presents itself. That's a pretty cool existing stable by the way.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Well, looks like it's gonna be a pistol after all. Maryland OK'd stripped lowers today, so I'll be ordering one this week and SLOWLY building a pistol.