Thread: Colt 901 issues

Downloads
    Uploads

Colt 901 issues

I got to shoot one of these at SHOT 2012 and liked it then. The more I read about it, the more I liked it. As soon as the local dealer let me know they were getting an order in, I put my name on the list.

The rifle I ended up getting was not nearly what I expected from Colt, but at the same time, was about what I expected from Colt.

Expected: quality
    Result: mostly.

Expected: accuracy
    Result: first shots from rifle, with iron sights hitting 8x12 steel plate at 100 yards using surplus DAG ammo.

Not expected: poor quality control
    Result: missing roll pin from ambi mag release. Mag release lever jumped out of it's slot during a mag change.

Not expected: poor customer service
    Result: 4 hours waiting on hold, CSR who was unfamiliar with product, no follow up communication.
    Followup: part showed up in mail about 2 months after phone call. Again, no communication from customer service, just a part with an 'paid' invoice in the envelope.

Not expected: portions of 'modular' rifle are just out of spec
    Result: buffer tube extension is lower and shorter requiring modification to any non standard AR grip with raised 'beavertail', like the MIAD B2 or B3 back.
    Result: trigger guard is shorter, after market trigger guards will not drop in without modification.
    Result: Non standard parts without commercial access equals don't dare lose ANYTHING!

Not expected: no magazine block
    Result: the modular rifle that is not modular
    Followup: magazine block available and currently shipping with new production rifles. At $300 increase for complete rifle or $300 for the block, carbine buffer and buffer/recoil spring.

I really want to like this rifle, but I also want to have my 'modular' rifle at least somewhat similar to my other AR rifles.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Like you, ever since SHOT 2012, the Colt 901 was something I wanted to shoot and see how it ran.

After limited number of rounds through a coworkers 901, I came away underwhelmed. Interesting concept though, but honestly I see a very limited market for this type of rifle.

So how did it shoot for you after you got the issues ironed out? What kind of groupings were you getting? What kind of ammo?

Downloads
    Uploads
    I've been remiss, didn't realize there was a reply to this.

I've not done any strict accuracy work with it and frankly, haven't been to the range with it in a while. I have been picking up some ammo in preparation for some accuracy testing to see if the rifle is worth spending at least another $300 on for the adapter.

I will definitely be updating this before long.