Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads

Bolt Tail Cleaning

Here's something you might want to try. I've been using automotive mag polish to clean the bolt tail. I scrape the bulk off then put a little on a rag and rubb the rest off. It's been giving me very good results.
    DEUTERONOMY 6:5
    flickr
    facebook
    The gift of mental power comes from God, Divine Being, and if we concentrate our minds on that truth, we become in tune with this great power - Nikola Telsa

Downloads
    Uploads
    GOST, I haven't scrubbed a bolt tail since the proliferation of NiB BCG's. Scrubbing those consist of taking a piece of T-Shirt, spraying parts with Gun Scrubber or like product and wiping off residue. "Stubborn" deposits require serious action. I usually hit them with another shot of Gun Scrubber and then a heavy application of my thumbnail to pop flake off.

Seriously, after cleaning everything from CAR's to M16's for years in the military, especially when you've been out in the heat all day, and that's the last thing you feel like doing, I see no reason to have to do it these days. All of my AR's use NiB bolts, and will until something even better comes along.

FT
    NRA Life Member
    Basket full of Deplorables Life Member

Downloads
    Uploads
    I'm running NiB also on some, but still have to do some scraping on the ones that sit for awhile between cleanings.
    flickr
    facebook
    The gift of mental power comes from God, Divine Being, and if we concentrate our minds on that truth, we become in tune with this great power - Nikola Telsa

Downloads
    Uploads
    I guess I'm lazy. I never scrape bolt tails, as the buildup is self limiting.
    Will - Owner of Arisaka LLC - http://www.arisakadefense.com

Downloads
    Uploads
    I scrape them, but I don't worry about scraping it clean. I just get the main build up off and put it back together.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I break mine down after every range session. Even if I only put 30 rounds through it. Break it down soak parts and scrub them clean. Apply lube and reassemble for the next day out.
    Just a regular guy.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I'm about the same way, but every now and then I will have a piece that sits for awhile before it gets cleaned.
    flickr
    facebook

Downloads
    Uploads
    Man, you guys are anal. I clean my ARs after 1K rounds or so. Even then I only spend about 10 minutes ... bore snake, a toothbrush, and some compressed air. That's it.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by MoxyDave View Post
    Man, you guys are anal. I clean my ARs after 1K rounds or so. Even then I only spend about 10 minutes ... bore snake, a toothbrush, and some compressed air. That's it.
    My cleaning schedule is like yours Dave. AR's just like to be run wet, I find they can take a lot of dirt. Then again, I wasn't subjected to a white glove drill Sgt inspection in my life... so I can see where some guys would be more meticulous.

I've got 3 carbines in the office right now, probably at least 3k rounds through each, haven't cleaned any of them, except for a wipe down with a rag.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by UWone77 View Post
    My cleaning schedule is like yours Dave. AR's just like to be run wet, I find they can take a lot of dirt. Then again, I wasn't subjected to a white glove drill Sgt inspection in my life... so I can see where some guys would be more meticulous.

I've got 3 carbines in the office right now, probably at least 3k rounds through each, haven't cleaned any of them, except for a wipe down with a rag.

Ugh I couldn't do that. It would drive me crazy knowing they are dirty. Granted with new stuff like fire lean and froglube on the market cleaning is easier. Call me old fashion if you want but I still use Break-Free CLP for cleaning and lubricating.
    Just a regular guy.

Downloads
    Uploads
    You guys are nasty, you guys remind me of my friends that like to mess with the dirty girl as long as no one finds out. But guess what, everyone finds out when you got to go to the walk-in clinic, I kidd. When I was a kid Dad expected you to have your bed made and teeth brushed right after you woke up, and if he found your rifle laying around dirty he'd come unglued. And the product of this is an extremely anal cleaner. I use picks, Q-tips, coffee filters(cause they leave no lint behind), compressed air, brushes, different kits and usually Slip 2000 EWL. I can't even stand to leave the Glocks laying around dirty.
    flickr
    facebook

Downloads
    Uploads
    I was reading this as "boat tail" and thought at first you were talking about cleaning a boat tail projectile for reloading or something and was utterly confused.

Brain fart.

Mine is NiB'd too but needs some love currently. No better time then now as I think of it since the rifle is in pieces.
    Thanks for the advice.
    Ground Defense 1, Blade Defense 1, Defensive Pistol 1 & 2, Aliance Shoot House, When Things Go Bad, YSINTG, Carbine 1, DART Medical, NRA Range Safety Officer
    david@damagephotos.com
    Damage Photos on Facebook
    @damage_photos on Instagram
    Use DAMAGE15 to save 15% at Third Pin Threads
    Save 10% "JOINORDIE" http://cmttac.com/

Downloads
    Uploads
    Pyzik don't be nasty like some of the others.
    flickr
    facebook

Downloads
    Uploads
    I only feel uncomfortable with a dirty gun if it's a go-to weapon and it's dirty enough to be concerned about malfunctions. For example, my carry gun(s) are cleaned after each range trip, regardless of round count. But even then I only spend about 10 minutes cleaning. Once I discovered the bore snake, my cleaning times were cut way down. Many times I use the snake for a rag as well. Super easy!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by UWone77 View Post
    My cleaning schedule is like yours Dave... I've got 3 carbines in the office right now, probably at least 3k rounds through each, haven't cleaned any of them, except for a wipe down with a rag.
    UNFREAKIN REAL.... Go home and spank yourself.....Do it!! Now!!, then clean those weapons.

Why do we do this? Everyone, all together now.... Because we don't know when the next chance to clean them will come. Seriously MD and UW, you ought to take turns flogging the heck out of each other....

FT
    NRA Life Member
    Basket full of Deplorables Life Member