I've been kicking around the idea of a 458 SOCOM for a few years. However, "chatter" about them has pretty much faded out for the last couple of years.

Does anyone here have a good source of information on the pro's and con's, and "how to", and who makes what, concerning these?

It seems that when I do a search, I just find a thread in a forum somewhere with 2 or three posts, or a you tube video of someone blowing up water melons with one.

Here's what I think I know: I read the ballistics (external) on Wikipedia, if that can be counted on to be accurate.

If they will drop a 500lb boar in it's tracks, they should drop 2 legged critters with malice in their hearts, right where they stand, and if said critter was wearing body armor, said critter should still be knocked on ass, and out of fight regardless of whether or not armor is pierced.

And lastly it appears that it would just be a lot of fun, and not a bad choice for a taking out deer and larger game, if necessary for survival.

It's my understanding that everything in an AR lower works for this with the exception of a stiffer buffer spring (unsure)?

A special upper, and Bolt Carrier and Bolt is required, as well as a hand guard for special upper, and of course, a 458 SOCOM barrel.

If anyone can correct my ignorance of the subject, I'd appreciate it, and please feel free to educate me on the subject as much as you feel like doing.

Your help will be appreciate it. And please tell UWone77 that if I do this, it will absolutely, positively, without a doubt, never to be repeated, very last and final build.

Thanks ahead,

FT