Thread: .458 SOCOM

Downloads
    Uploads

.458 SOCOM

I've been kicking around the idea of a 458 SOCOM for a few years. However, "chatter" about them has pretty much faded out for the last couple of years.

Does anyone here have a good source of information on the pro's and con's, and "how to", and who makes what, concerning these?

It seems that when I do a search, I just find a thread in a forum somewhere with 2 or three posts, or a you tube video of someone blowing up water melons with one.

Here's what I think I know: I read the ballistics (external) on Wikipedia, if that can be counted on to be accurate.

If they will drop a 500lb boar in it's tracks, they should drop 2 legged critters with malice in their hearts, right where they stand, and if said critter was wearing body armor, said critter should still be knocked on ass, and out of fight regardless of whether or not armor is pierced.

And lastly it appears that it would just be a lot of fun, and not a bad choice for a taking out deer and larger game, if necessary for survival.

It's my understanding that everything in an AR lower works for this with the exception of a stiffer buffer spring (unsure)?

A special upper, and Bolt Carrier and Bolt is required, as well as a hand guard for special upper, and of course, a 458 SOCOM barrel.

If anyone can correct my ignorance of the subject, I'd appreciate it, and please feel free to educate me on the subject as much as you feel like doing.

Your help will be appreciate it. And please tell UWone77 that if I do this, it will absolutely, positively, without a doubt, never to be repeated, very last and final build.

Thanks ahead,

FT
    NRA Life Member
    Deplorables Life Member
    Bible and Gun Clinger
    Filthy Stinking Wal Mart Shopper

Downloads
    Uploads
    I owe one. I don't hunt thou bought mine for the fun factor. Factory ammo good luck. 55-70 bucks for 20round, needless to say I reload these. Penetration is decent, shooting gallery did an ar special and the 458 went through I believe 6 pieces of 1/2" plywood . Companies that make the uppers complete I know of is:
    Rock River Arms
    http://rockriverarms.com/index.cfm?f...ategory_id=251

Wilson Combat
    http://wilsoncombat.com/new/458-socom-project.asp

Teppo
    http://www.teppojutsu.com/458.htm

Hope some of this helps. I know I didn't answer all your questions for.

Sent from my IPhone, please ignore spelling mistakes. Siri is dumb.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Judicator View Post
    I owe one. I don't hunt thou bought mine for the fun factor. Factory ammo good luck. 55-70 bucks for 20round, needless to say I reload these. Penetration is decent, shooting gallery did an ar special and the 458 went through I believe 6 pieces of 1/2" plywood . Companies that make the uppers complete I know of is:
    Rock River Arms
    http://rockriverarms.com/index.cfm?f...ategory_id=251

Wilson Combat
    http://wilsoncombat.com/new/458-socom-project.asp

Teppo
    http://www.teppojutsu.com/458.htm

Hope some of this helps. I know I didn't answer all your questions for.

Judicator, thanks.

I did count on reloading, for sure. I used to have a Rem Safari Grade .375 H&H about 10 years ago or so. Commercial ammo was outrageous then, and I figured shooting 300 gn bullets out of anything would get pricey.

I guess what I'm really unclear on, these uppers fit a conventional AR Lower (correct?). I'm assuming (dangerous, I know) that I'll have a hell of a time finding a NIB BCG for the upper, say if I take the easy way out and just buy a complete upper?

I'm under the impression that a standard AR mag, such as a Magpul will hold and feed 8 or so rounds?

And still unsure about a buffer and spring, but maybe I can exercise my google finger a little harder to see if I can find more out.

Thanks for the info, it's a start,

FT
    NRA Life Member
    Deplorables Life Member
    Bible and Gun Clinger

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by FortTom View Post
    I guess what I'm really unclear on, these uppers fit a conventional AR Lower (correct?). I'm assuming (dangerous, I know) that I'll have a hell of a time finding a NIB BCG for the upper, say if I take the easy way out and just buy a complete upper?
    Yes, it is a standard upper and will fit on a conventional AR lower. However, you will have to open up or lower the ejection port to make room for larger brass.

Not sure if Wilson Combat has them in stock or not, but they sell a package deal with barrel, BCG, flash hider, and adjustable gas block.

Quote Originally Posted by FortTom View Post
    I'm under the impression that a standard AR mag, such as a Magpul will hold and feed 8 or so rounds?

And still unsure about a buffer and spring, but maybe I can exercise my google finger a little harder to see if I can find more out.

Thanks for the info, it's a start,

FT
    A standard 20 round magazine will hold 7 rounds and a 30 round magazine will hold aprox 9.

I believe it was designed to work with a standard buffer, but a stiffer spring and heavier buffer would probably be good to have. If you do get an adjustable gas block, it should help you tune it easier.

Sent from the center of the universe!

Downloads
    Uploads
    ^ correct. I just had my upper built by RRA. It was designed to hot swap in the field for the extra pen. My 30rnd usgi's fit 10 rounds.

Downloads
    Uploads
    30 rd mags fit 10 rounds...haha...sory thats kinda funny..

I dont see they benefit of this round, big slow and lots of knockdown power, not a plinking round, thats for sure..
    Last edited by mustangfreek; 25 May 2014 at 02:25.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by mustangfreek View Post
    30 rd mags fit 10 rounds...haha...sory thats kinda funny..

I dont see they benefit of this round, big slow and lots f knockdown power, not a plinking round, thats for sure..
    Seems like its the .45 acp of the rifle world...big slow and knockdown power

Sent from the center of the universe!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Looking at the external ballistics data, it looks closer to the 45 - 70 of the AR world, which is what got me interested in the first place. No, not a plinking round, but I have conventional bolt action hunting rifles, that aren't "plinkers" either, MF. Didn't intend it to be a cheap to run, fun gun, although I have to admit that the fun you could have with one of these, could entice you to shoot more $$ up on "stuff", than a person might have planned too, on a particular day.

Right now I'm still just in the "thinking about it" phase.

FT
    NRA Life Member
    Deplorables Life Member
    Bible and Gun Clinger