• Another Proprietary Mounting System

1 1.85%
  • Wait for the Next System

0 0%
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: KeyMod Vs M-Lok

Downloads
    Uploads
    I currently have a Noveske NSR 13" rail extremely pleased with. I think the keymod system is a great idea.

BUT, I just purchased one of the ALG EMR M-LOK 13" rails that's currently on introductory special pricing. I don't have a spare rifle to mount it on...yet...but look forward to comparing the systems.

In reality I imagine they'll both be just fine amd both better than permemantly mounted quad rails.
    Last edited by plumber576; 12 June 2014 at 19:53.

Downloads
    Uploads
    The NSR was a game changer, but I hate to say it but M-LOK fails so far to get me excited.
    DEUTERONOMY 6:5
    flickr
    facebook
    The gift of mental power comes from God, Divine Being, and if we concentrate our minds on that truth, we become in tune with this great power - Nikola Telsa

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by GOST View Post
    The NSR was a game changer, but I hate to say it but M-LOK fails so far to get me excited.
    That's how I originally felt about keymod until I held a rifle with the NSR and fell in love. I knew I wanted that rail so I jumped in the keymod game pretty early. The support is now coming around to make it a completely viable idea and I'm very pleased with my NSR.

With an idea giant like Magpul behind MLOK I'm sure it's really going to take off and get lots of support.

As an end user I get 2 different platforms with plenty of support and versatility and don't have to have ladders everywhere (which I really don't care for).

So am I excited? No. Am I happy? I'm sure I won't be disappointed with either.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I gotta say, ALG's rails are a great price. I'm still happy with my MI 15" KeyMod rail. SUPER light and the extended grip is nice. I'm a big guy and the rifle is so much more comfortable to shoot on moving targets with my support hand extended. Those pigs never knew what hit 'em.

Downloads
    Uploads
    im not the most qualified user to post about the systems but i voted keymod. i love my NSR. for me, the NSR is more about the feel in my hand. quad rails just are too bulky for me for the most part. a nice slim keymod works wonders.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Now that MLOK has been out for a while and accessories are much more available how do you guys feel about it now?

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Stone View Post
    Now that MLOK has been out for a while and accessories are much more available how do you guys feel about it now?
    From my point of view, we still sell more KeyMod accessories by a significant amount, but M-Lok has picked up slightly. Some of our dealers only stock M-Lok, as well.
    Will - Owner of Arisaka LLC - http://www.arisakadefense.com

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Stone View Post
    I'm coming around to the opinion that although I prefer the looks and feel of the M-LOK handguards, I like the KeyMod system better. If you have any intention or desire to change configurations in the field, then I suggest sticking with KeyMod. If you don't put anything on your handguard and/or pretty much never mess with your configuration outside of your shop, then M-LOk is a great way to go. But I like to tinker and experiment and move stuff around (and share accessories across weapons) and am finding the M-LOK systems is just too finicky. If you can't see the attachment from the back/inside, you won't know if you have it properly secured. For example, I had a Magpul M-LOK bipod mount pop off the other day while securing a Harris because the lugs hadn't turned 90 degrees on the inside of the rail even though the screws were tight. Completely my fault but it was hard to verify when I mounted the accessory. Also, the screws on the M-LOK accessories tend to protrude quite a bit more into the rail interior than the heads of the KeyMod attachments which can cause clearance and fitment problems (e.g., under or around the gas block). So, for a SHTF, take it to the field weapon, my preference is starting to lean back towards KeyMod, to the point that I'm starting to seriously consider selling off my M-LOK handguards and replacing them with KeyMod.

Downloads
    Uploads

KeyMod Vs M-Lok

Quote Originally Posted by BoilerUp View Post
    I'm coming around to the opinion that although I prefer the looks and feel of the M-LOK handguards, I like the KeyMod system better. If you have any intention or desire to change configurations in the field, then I suggest sticking with KeyMod. If you don't put anything on your handguard and/or pretty much never mess with your configuration outside of your shop, then M-LOk is a great way to go. But I like to tinker and experiment and move stuff around (and share accessories across weapons) and am finding the M-LOK systems is just too finicky. If you can't see the attachment from the back/inside, you won't know if you have it properly secured. For example, I had a Magpul M-LOK bipod mount pop off the other day while securing a Harris because the lugs hadn't turned 90 degrees on the inside of the rail even though the screws were tight. Completely my fault but it was hard to verify when I mounted the accessory. Also, the screws on the M-LOK accessories tend to protrude quite a bit more into the rail interior than the heads of the KeyMod attachments which can cause clearance and fitment problems (e.g., under or around the gas block). So, for a SHTF, take it to the field weapon, my preference is starting to lean back towards KeyMod, to the point that I'm starting to seriously consider selling off my M-LOK handguards and replacing them with KeyMod.

Kinetic Development may have just the answer for you and your MLOK accessories.

http://youtu.be/7hkGj4-KMAI

Start about 5:50 in
    Last edited by DutyUse; 31 December 2015 at 22:12.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Being relatively new, and coming in when MLOK was just introduced, I bought MLOK, and I think I will continue to do so. I think form over function, but both do function well.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by DutyUse View Post

That's awesome. Great idea in the video. I would like to see it and try it in person though first.

Other than that I have only used M lok. I have never used keymod but m lok still has the gas block issues so you have to make sure your accessories pair with the gas block you're using. It sucks to find out too late that you have to change out a key gun component to have your accessories work. It might not be everyone or everything, but it's enough. I actually have a slight amount of rail damage due to a t nut getting a semi rotation and then me tightening it up maybe too much. Again the t nut bumped the gas block and would not fully rotate. As I ran with it it was barely hanging on but secure enough for me not to notice it until later. Also if you want to use accessories that are directly under the gas block or near it there are several known issues with various reputable in-spec manufacturers.... the stuff is all made in spec, it's just the system has flaws.

Also with m-lok it is fiddly with little parts. First off you have to have tools to put stuff on or off but if you unscrew something too much or whatever and a t nut comes off and goes into the dirt... well good luck. And magpul wants like five bucks a t nut for replacements. Also it depends on the accessory. I have a VFG that is a pain in the ass to get the tool down in there to engage the screw head. You basically have to poke around in the dark with a long enough allen wrench.

I guess it depends on who you are and where you are at. If you are near civilization and/or do not configure or reconfigure your setup then M lok is fine. Once you get everything put on and assuming you're using the right rail and gas block it works fine.

At this point it works fine for me and my purposes but if I ever run across someone running keymod I will see if they will let me play with their set up. I would entertain the idea of changing at this point.

Downloads
    Uploads
    KeyMod? M-Lok? What's that?

Seriously though, i do still love my quad rails. Picatinny rails are incredibly robust and versatile, and quite relevant IMHO. The addressing system makes it so zero effort is needed to put accessories back exactly where you had them without counting KeyMod slots, etc. As an optic mounting solution, i would think the good old M1913 rail would be superior to either KeyMod or M-Lok. I realize we are pretty much stuck with M1913 for mounting optics on AR-15/M4 style weapons whether we like it or not (barring a pretty hefty redesign of the upper and adaptation of a new .mil standard). But for new, yet to be designed weapon systems, are either keyMod or M-Lok viable options for mounting ones primary optic? I'm not an engineer, but i imagine KeyMod and M-Lok mounts could be made rather easily for many of the optics in use today. But would either one be as robust or allow return to zero, etc. like M1913 rails do?

Anywho... Personally, for functionality and ease of use i prefer KeyMod at this point. Many of the KeyMod accessories i own have captured nuts and there isn't any fiddling with getting the depth of the nut just right in order to ensure your accessory will be secured to your rail properly. Aesthetically, M-Lok is way cleaner looking. And although it's not open source like KeyMod, the M-Lok licensing agreement with Magpul is free.

The reality is that KeyMod and M-Lok (and Picatinny rails for that matter) all have strengths and weaknesses. It's a matter of what works for you and what you're willing to live with. I think it's great to have options. I hope that both systems earn enough support and user loyalty so that they both will continue to be available to consumers. I realize that will involve a little more R&D for accessory manufacturers, and that some will invariably choose to favor one system over the other. But if done right, the market is big enough to support both and make everyone happy.
    Last edited by Deadwing; 1 January 2016 at 02:50.
    "It's time to start slapping people." - George Carlin

NRA Life Member | SAF Life Member | FPC Member

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks for the input guys, a lot of food for thought. I have been considering the Mega wedge lock for my current build. I really like the KDG attachments, they look solid. As far as rail panels go all I could find were magpuls type 1&2, and strikes industries V1& V2. Any other viable offerings?

Downloads
    Uploads
    IMO, KeyMod and M-Lok have pretty much destroyed the static nature of modern classics like the MK18 CQBR. Once upon a time, you could slap a RIS II, or Centurion on it and call it a day, but with the newer, much lighter rails making use of KeyMod, or M-Lok, the more recent models will be more dynamic. Obviously brand constraints will remain, ensuring a tactical force socom jackoff 9000 mk 42 part won't show up on a warrior's killing instrument, but progress will rear it's head simply because of the weight relief issue.
    There's no "Team" in F**K YOU!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by DutyUse View Post

I have a Kinetic Development bipod mount coming (which unfortunately won't be here until after I go shoot tomorrow) to attach to a Hunter stock. It was more than a standard rail piece or Magpul mount, but the design seems to make more sense to me for the reasons that BoilerUp mentioned. Hopefully it will work as well it appears to. Now if I could just get DSG Arms to get their AICS bottom metal in stock and the damn gun will be complete.