• Another Proprietary Mounting System

1 1.85%
  • Wait for the Next System

0 0%
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: KeyMod Vs M-Lok

Downloads
    Uploads
    I voted to Key-Mod only because I have a couple of BCM Gunfighter KMR rails. I really like the OD size and the weight. I wouldn't mind trying an M-Lok, but gonna be hard getting away from the KMR's.
    NRA Benefactor Member
    NRA Certified Instructor

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on."
    John Wayne - "The Shootist"

Downloads
    Uploads
    The Kinect QD mounts seem novel and interesting, especially the bipod mount. But I refuse to mount a pic rail section to an M-LOK or KeyMod handguard. If I wanted to mount pic rail sections, then I'd get one of the styles where you screw them directly on (like the Centurion CMR). The downside I see to the Kinect is the additional thickness, weight, and cost. I don't want to spend $50-$60 per accessory to work around the quirks of the interface. That's not a knock on Kinect, I admire their ingenuity and attempt to bring something to market that solves a problem.

Jerry, I suspect my next handguard purchase (or two) will be KMRs, so it's good to hear that vote of confidence. I was at RA a week or two ago comparing the BCM KMR-A side-by-side to another great M-LOK handguard with similar profile from a very well respected manufacturer. I haven't made a purchase yet, as they are both very nice handguards and it is difficult to chose, but after further reflection I can't bring myself to spend more money on a handguard that weighs more (the price on the KMR-As is very competitive). I do also like the Aero Precision enhanced handguard for the wider diameter which also feels great to my large hands and allows you tuck/shroud a suppressor.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by BoilerUp View Post
    The Kinect QD mounts seem novel and interesting, especially the bipod mount. But I refuse to mount a pic rail section to an M-LOK or KeyMod handguard. If I wanted to mount pic rail sections, then I'd get one of the styles where you screw them directly on (like the Centurion CMR). The downside I see to the Kinect is the additional thickness, weight, and cost. I don't want to spend $50-$60 per accessory to work around the quirks of the interface. That's not a knock on Kinect, I admire their ingenuity and attempt to bring something to market that solves a problem.
    Adding rail sections is exactly why I just end up sticking with quad rails. Yes, they're a little heavier, but on non-quad rails I've had in the past (pre-KM or M-LOK), I could never put a rail section (or accessory) exactly where I wanted it, and on the off chance I could, I still had this blister sticking out of the rail that made it less comfortable (for something like a handstop/AVG/RVG/etc). KM seems to mostly take care of placement, because there's so many damn holes, but I would still need to invest in a bunch of accessories. With quad rails, I can just recycle what I already have.

Since the Hunter stock only has M-LOK, and the KD bipod mount is still lower profile than a rail section and pic rail mount for a Harris, I decided to give the KD mount a try. I also grabbed a Magpul QD socket, so hopefully it's more secure than mentioned earlier.

Downloads
    Uploads
    The M-LOK is plenty secure once installed correctly. One of the nice things about the Aero Precision handguards is the large inner diameter makes it easy to verify correct installation plus it gives it plenty of clearance. Here I have Magpul bipod and sling QD mounts installed:

Downloads
    Uploads
    Last night I formed an opinion on this debate. M-lok has a serious defect and I bet it will show itself more and more. I had a short rail attached to a rifle for a bipod mount I was removing when I noticed that as you loosen the mounting screws the t nuts rotate while still under a good amount of tension. It completely stripped the anodizing off the inside mounting surface of the rail. Judging from the amount of damage to the finish and the gouging of the aluminum that frequent removal of accessories will damage the rail to the point where it's out of spec.

You can actually see some damage to the rail in the photo above where it looks like the QD mount was moved back a slot.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Wish MLOK wasn't so heavy compared to KeyMod. Always an ounce or two heavier on any given rail it seems.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by BoilerUp View Post
    I do also like the Aero Precision enhanced handguard for the wider diameter which also feels great to my large hands and allows you tuck/shroud a suppressor.
    Understood. I really wish I had an opportunity to handle the Aero before the purchase(s), but there weren't any available locally. Didn't get to handle the KMR either, but bought based on specifications. As to large hands (LOL) I can use Thumb and Mr. Tallman to completely encircle the KMR - feels tiny in my paw, but the control during transition is so much better than the thicker (heavier) quads I have on other builds. I am becoming a fan boy.
    NRA Benefactor Member
    NRA Certified Instructor

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on."
    John Wayne - "The Shootist"

Downloads
    Uploads
    My vote goes to keymod, if for no other reason than panels such as the BCM and Noveske's are thinner than options available for M-Lok.

M-Lok sure looks nicer though.
    -One Nation, Under God

-"The bad news is time flies. The good news is you're the pilot." ~ Michael Althsuler

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Aragorn View Post
    My vote goes to keymod, if for no other reason than panels such as the BCM and Noveske's are thinner than options available for M-Lok.

M-Lok sure looks nicer though.
    The BCM keymod panels are amazing, especially on a KMR. I love the way they feel

I completely agree that the aesthetics of m-lok are superior. The Geissele Mk 8 is probably my favorite rail right now.
    "It's time to start slapping people." - George Carlin

NRA Life Member | SAF Life Member | FPC Member

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Downloads
    Uploads
    Speaking of the MK8 rail.. I plan on cloning that Gen 1 of yours that ROG keeps showing off :)

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by DutyUse View Post
    Speaking of the MK8 rail.. I plan on cloning that Gen 1 of yours that ROG keeps showing off :)
    Oh yeah? I haven't been on facebook in a while.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Deadwing View Post
    Oh yeah? I haven't been on facebook in a while.
    I think it's yours at least.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by DutyUse View Post
    I think it's yours at least.

Guilty as charged lol. I sent that to Mike a long time ago. I just looked at the post and apparently it's quite a popular pic! It got shared on the WEVO FB page, along with another of pic the same gun. I'm very surprised at the number of likes and shares! I need to start watermarking my pics, apparently lol.
    Last edited by Deadwing; 15 January 2016 at 18:04.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Downloads
    Uploads
    Both Keymod and M-Lok are cpnnecting systems that have been ported from (believe it or not) warehouse shelving into rifle handguards with M-Lok being the newer of the warehouse shelving systems. Since the picatinny rail isn't going anywhere anytime soon, it really doesn't seem to matter wether keymod or M-lok is used since rail sections can be attached anyway. I voted keymod simply because there are more keymod items available and the M-lok specific items are still up there in price while manufacturers recoup their investments in making them. I like my keymod rail and will likely get at least one more.
    Freedom is NEVER Free. We have to work to protect it and even be willing to die to protect it.

Downloads
    Uploads
    It's a sweet build. I've got a Gen 1 that's just been collecting dust.

The Gen 1 forged upper will probably be hardest part to find. And I'll probably do mine with a 9.5 mk8 and 10.3 barrel.