Downloads
    Uploads

Smith & Wesson Announces Shield Without Manual Safety

Via Julie Golob's website:

SPRINGFIELD, Mass. (June 5, 2014) — Smith & Wesson Corp. announced today that it is now offering versions of its popular M&P Shield™ pistol in both 9mm and .40 S&W without the single-sided thumb safety. Brought to market after numerous requests from private citizens, law enforcement professionals and firearm retailers, the new models retain original design features that have helped to solidify the M&P Shield’s reputation in the marketplace as a reliable, accurate self-defense firearm. Whether deployed as a backup sidearm for police personnel, a deep concealment pistol for plain-clothes officers or an every-day firearm for concealed carry permit holders, the M&P Shield has been met with wide approval.

At the core of the M&P Shield resides its slim, lightweight, high-strength polymer frame measuring .95-inches in width coupled with an unloaded weight of less than 19 ounces. Across the frame, the M&P Shield is standard with a 3.1 inch barrel that contributes to compact overall length of 6.1 inches. On the left side of the frame, the M&P Shield is fitted with familiar operational controls including a simple takedown lever, flat profile slide stop and magazine release. For optimal firearm control, the M&P Shield is standard with an 18-degree grip angle and a fixed textured backstrap with additional texturing at the forward portion of the grip. An extended trigger guard allows for operation of the pistol with or without gloves.

On top of the stainless-steel slide and barrel, the M&P Shield is standard with a 5.3-inch sight radius along with a white dot stainless-steel front sight and a white two-dot stainless-steel rear sight. For consistent and accurate shot placement, the pistol features a short, consistent trigger pull measuring 6.5 pounds that has been further enhanced with a quick and audible reset made possible by the striker-fired action.

Internal features of the new M&P Shield mirror the standard M&P Series. Its stainless-steel internal chassis reduces flex while providing a stable shooting platform and its low-bore axis helps maintain ease-of-use and a comfortable feel. A passive trigger safety prevents the pistol from firing if dropped and a sear release lever eliminates the need to press the trigger in order to disassemble the firearm. A loaded chamber indicator is located on top of the barrel. The M&P Shield is shipped with both an extended and flat magazine offering consumers the ability to customize the length of the grip. The 9mm M&P Shield offers an 8+1 or 7+1 magazine capacity while the .40 S&W M&P Shield is standard with either a 7+1 or 6+1 magazine capacity. Both the 9mm and .40 S&W M&P Shield carry an MSRP of $449 and are backed by Smith & Wesson’s Lifetime Service policy. State compliant models of the M&P Shield with no thumb safety are also available.

For more information on the new M&P Shield pistols without a thumb safety visitwww.smith-wesson.com.About Smith & WessonSmith & Wesson Holding Corporation (NASDAQ Global Select: SWHC) is a U.S.-based leader in firearm manufacturing and design, delivering a broad portfolio of quality firearms, related products and training to the consumer, law enforcement, and military markets. The company’s brands include Smith & Wesson®, M&P® and Thompson/Center Arms™. Smith & Wesson facilities are located in Massachusetts and Maine.

For more information on Smith & Wesson, call (800) 331-0852 or log on to*www.smith-wesson.com.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Nice
    Just a regular guy.

Downloads
    Uploads

Downloads
    Uploads
    Of course. Only two weeks after FINALLY ordering a Shield. Ha.
    I really did't want a safety and gave in.
    Ground Defense 1, Blade Defense 1, Defensive Pistol 1 & 2, Aliance Shoot House, When Things Go Bad, YSINTG, Carbine 1, DART Medical, NRA Range Safety Officer
    david@damagephotos.com
    Damage Photos on Facebook
    @damage_photos on Instagram
    Use DAMAGE15 to save 15% at Third Pin Threads
    Save 10% "JOINORDIE" http://cmttac.com/

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Pyzik View Post
    Of course. Only two weeks after FINALLY ordering a Shield. Ha.
    I really did't want a safety and gave in.
    I felt the same way but I ended up with 2 of them anyhow. They are just that good.

I've become used to the safety and it doesn't bother me a bit. Especially with the Apex hard sear, I think a safety is a good idea. You just have to train with it all the time.

Downloads
    Uploads
    FINALLY! My Department requires that we carry pistols WITHOUT external manual safeties...so the SHIELD wasn't an option for us. Now let's see how long before this pistol is actually available through one of my distributors.

Downloads
    Uploads
    If I didn't already have a couple of Kahr 9mm's, I would have gotten a Shield when they first came out.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Yep, I'll have one.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Hmmm. I just bought a Shield a couple months ago. Now I wish I had of waited.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by tappedandtagged View Post
    Hmmm. I just bought a Shield a couple months ago. Now I wish I had of waited.

I'm looking to grab 2 here soon. Even if I get one with the safety I am not to worried about it. I can flip it to fire and know its not going to move unless I flip it back.

But now that one is out without the safety that will be the model I will be looking for.
    Just a regular guy.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Sounds like a lot of you like the Shield and carry it on a daily basis. I owned a Shield for 3 months and didn't really like it. Perhaps I didn't give it enough range time, or it's hard to let go of my Kahr.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by UWone77 View Post
    Sounds like a lot of you like the Shield and carry it on a daily basis. I owned a Shield for 3 months and didn't really like it. Perhaps I didn't give it enough range time, or it's hard to let go of my Kahr.
    I had a Kahr PM9 for some time, in fact it's for sale here.

I am more accurate with the Shield and I've found it to be more reliable than the Kahr. The Shield shoots like a Glock; you can go a thousand rounds between cleanings with no hangups at all. I could only get a few hundred through the Kahr before it would start to malfunction.

In any realistic scenario this wouldn't matter, but it gives me some confidence.

The Apex Hard Sear greatly improves the trigger, and then the manual safety makes more sense. I wouldn't run such a light trigger without it.

If I were to buy a new carry gun right now it would probably be the XDS 4.0 in 9mm. Pretty impressive right out of the box ...
    Last edited by MoxyDave; 7 June 2014 at 19:34.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Thumb safety model is on sale for $344 shipped from kygunco... That may be hard to pass up.