View Poll Results: Which gun do you take camping?

Voters
13. You may not vote on this poll
  • My normal carry setup or other pistol

11 84.62%
  • A long gun

2 15.38%
  • No gun

0 0%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads

Long gun for camping?

I'm going on a 3-day motorcycle camping trip soon. I was considering taking a long gun but realistically there is no way to stow it, and I wouldn't have enough ammo to do any serious plinking.

Just curious, do any of you take a long gun camping? Or any gun at all? What's your setup?

Downloads
    Uploads
    Normally I just take my EDC with extra ammo.
    Though, I have been known to take the 10/22 with me.
    Ground Defense 1, Blade Defense 1, Defensive Pistol 1 & 2, Aliance Shoot House, When Things Go Bad, YSINTG, Carbine 1, DART Medical, NRA Range Safety Officer
    david@damagephotos.com
    Damage Photos on Facebook
    @damage_photos on Instagram
    Use DAMAGE15 to save 15% at Third Pin Threads
    Save 10% "JOINORDIE" http://cmttac.com/

Downloads
    Uploads
    Can't even get the SBR stowed away?

Downloads
    Uploads
    Ditto to UWone77's question....if the answer is "no," than an EDC as well....maybe extend it to something with a bit more "oomph" like a Glock 10mm or .44 MAG/SPL revolver.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Normally take a few handguns and my Henry Golden Boy .22lr. Most places I go camping have a range nearby, and guns also make loud noises to scare off the bears.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I sometimes take an AR due to being more comfortable with a rifle, sometimes I bring my TLE Pro also.
    DEUTERONOMY 6:5
    flickr
    facebook
    The gift of mental power comes from God, Divine Being, and if we concentrate our minds on that truth, we become in tune with this great power - Nikola Telsa

Downloads
    Uploads
    When camping with a long-gun... and limited portage space available (such as in a canoe)...

This is not mine... but I have one just like it... a Ruger 10/22 takedown... camo... with a flash suppressor on it.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I ride my Harley sometimes, to do some camping. I guess the big question, which should be asked, is where are you going to be camping? If private property, take whatever you feel comfortable with. State parks? I guess it depends on your state. KY has some of the most Pro 2A laws in the nation, but for a long time, except hunting season, guns weren't allowed in State Parks. Now concealed carry is. So, MD I think it is entirely dependent of where you're camping and what the rules are, where you go. Never been to a campground, where a long gun, and many times even a pistol are allowed, except for certain area's during hunting seasons. If it's just for SD, then do like I do, just keep it out of sight. If great big bears share your campground, then the biggest handgun I could conceal would be my choice.

FT
    NRA Life Member
    Basket full of Deplorables Life Member

Downloads
    Uploads
    Unless you are expecting trouble, I'm thinking EDC and maybe an extra mag or two.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Glock 17 with a 33 Round Magazine.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I'm a big fan of a 45 acp for carrying into the woods (or anywhere else, for that matter):

Off-Duty EDC by Triple Bravo, on Flickr

Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks for the input everyone. I just can't take the weight of an AR + ammo. I'm riding rough Colorado mountain terrain with 35lbs of gear on this old beast, and I've just run out of room/weight limits. So I think it will be my Shield in 9mm and a few extra mags. Definitely not expecting trouble, but you never know ...

(not my bike but similar model)

Downloads
    Uploads
    PS I love how nobody has selected "No gun" in the poll.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by MoxyDave View Post
    Thanks for the input everyone. I just can't take the weight of an AR + ammo. I'm riding rough Colorado mountain terrain with 35lbs of gear on this old beast, and I've just run out of room/weight limits. So I think it will be my Shield in 9mm and a few extra mags. Definitely not expecting trouble, but you never know ...

(not my bike but similar model)
    Just sold my 02 DR-Z 650

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by MoxyDave View Post
    PS I love how nobody has selected "No gun" in the poll.
    Well did you expect any less!

I have taken a shotgun on a few occasions, but it was more trouble than it was worth as far as having it at the campsite. But, my wife won't let me take her camping like I want to. My idea of camping is pack a backpack, hike a few miles, clear out a spot well off the trail and settle in. Her idea of camping is finding a State park with campgrounds and finding the happy medium between too far from the bathrooms and not so close the other campers walking to the bathroom bother you. Since that's the type of camping I do, I take my Glock 23 and two spare mags.