Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011

Thread: Noveske NQR

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Joelski View Post
    So the zillion dollar question is, with all the bitching about the DD being overgassed, why won't they change it? Does it serve some purpose in full military trim that makes it worth ignoring all the complaints? I'm not a gas system tweaker, so I only know there are tons of properly gassed configs out there, why dump their price into a finicky upper?
    Over-gassing it makes it less finicky for the civilian market. It allows a wider range of ammo to be used, specifically, weaker (and usually cheaper) ammo. I'm not saying that's right or wrong, but personally, like you, I'd rather just roll with a spec'ed gas port.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Good luck getting the "Property of" roll stamp, but this is pretty much add an RIS-II or Centurion and ya done minus the goodies.

http://www.gandrtactical.com/cgi-bin...&key=LE6945CQB
    Monolithic upper. Not just adding any rail to that weapon.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by gatordev View Post
    Over-gassing it makes it less finicky for the civilian market. It allows a wider range of ammo to be used, specifically, weaker (and usually cheaper) ammo. I'm not saying that's right or wrong, but personally, like you, I'd rather just roll with a spec'ed gas port.
    I disagree. I have had plenty of function issues suppressing an already over-gassed weapon.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by JGifford View Post
    I disagree. I have had plenty of function issues suppressing an already over-gassed weapon.
    I don't think they gear it to shooters like you. He means for those guys shooting the cheapest steel cased, underpowered ammo they can find. Those guys also aren't shooting suppressed.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Makes sense until you get to the part about this isn't a gun the average Joe blow would buy, is it? Seems like more guys buying in that price range would be sticking with a LaRue.
    There's no "Team" in F**K YOU!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Makes sense until you get to the part about this isn't a gun the average Joe blow would buy, is it? Seems like more guys buying in that price range would be sticking with a LaRue.
    I don't know... I see a lot of guys, including friends of mine who will spend thousands on the best rifle they can afford. Only to get zero training, and shoot the cheapest ammo they can find twice a year. I think they find more enjoyment breaking it out of the safe and showing their friends how "milspec" it is, and "all the SF guys are using this."

I see that in the clone guys too. They will spend unlimited amounts of money building the exact replica, but that's the whole fun with it for them. Just the build. They don't shoot it, so they don't care if the gas ports are oversized or that their DD barrel will burn out quickly.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by JGifford View Post
    Good point. As UW said, I wasn't thinking suppressed shooting, just common range plinking and mag dumps with some cheap ammo.

Not that those can't be fun things to do occasionally.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by UWone77 View Post
    I see that in the clone guys too. They will spend unlimited amounts of money building the exact replica, but that's the whole fun with it for them. Just the build. They don't shoot it, so they don't care if the gas ports are oversized or that their DD barrel will burn out quickly.
    Well put. I really enjoyed researching information for a couple of the near-clones I've built. Add to that having deployed with guys using the MK18, it was fun to finally own one I could play with. Then again, none of my rifles are completely correct because I can't stand just owning one and not shooting it, so some of my parts make the gun more useful to me (and/or save some money). In the end, I guess I fail the clone game but win the satisfaction game.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I don't shoot badguys, but I shoot the hell out of damn near anything legal to put a hole in on my little chunk of heaven, including groundhogs, coyotes, dirt clods, beer cans, and ocassionally targets.
    Last edited by Joelski; 9 August 2016 at 11:32.

Downloads
    Uploads
    And when my buddy the sheriff asks why I need* something like my Mk 18 pseudo-clone I say #1: America and #2: because it's f@cking cool looking and I want one. Same thing I put on my form 1!

*UW see that's really a wife question, not a cop question.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I don't know... I see a lot of guys, including friends of mine who will spend thousands on the best rifle they can afford. Only to get zero training, and shoot the cheapest ammo they can find twice a year. I think they find more enjoyment breaking it out of the safe and showing their friends how "milspec" it is, and "all the SF guys are using this."

That's a good observation. Ultimately this is a hobby for most all of us. As such, we all have our own take on why we enjoy it and what we find interesting. No wrong or right, although still plenty of room for questionable judgment. :)

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by gatordev View Post
    Well put. I really enjoyed researching information for a couple of the near-clones I've built. Add to that having deployed with guys using the MK18, it was fun to finally own one I could play with. Then again, none of my rifles are completely correct because I can't stand just owning one and not shooting it, so some of my parts make the gun more useful to me (and/or save some money). In the end, I guess I fail the clone game but win the satisfaction game.
    Not a big clone guy myself, but I do like the MK18, MK12, Block 1/2 inspired rifle.

Stick and I did get lucky enough to snag mil contract DD MK18 and M4A1 uppers without the silly markings on the side and with the correct gas ports several years back.

Downloads
    Uploads

I think there are different types of folks doing what they do for a variety of reasons, but I agree with what you say 100%.

Some people just want 'stuff'...just like they want that Harley in their garage even though they ride once every 3 months (if they are lucky), or buy the most expensive ski boat they can find only to not be able to ski (or they take a trip to the lake twice a summer).

While I personally don't get off on that stuff some of those guys (and girls) are pretty annoying regardless if it's about guns or whatever.

There are reasons to buy more expensive things, but doing so to get a pat on the back isn't a good enough reason for me.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I don't think they gear it to shooters like you. He means for those guys shooting the cheapest steel cased, underpowered ammo they can find. Those guys also aren't shooting suppressed.
    Then they can include mil-spec carbine springs and a carbine buffer. Should function just fine, even with cheap crap. My 16.1" middy DDM4 will run Wolf with a 6.8oz buffer and Green spring from Sprinco, unsuppressed, as an example. It has a 0.074ish gas-port.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by BoilerUp View Post
    That's a good observation. Ultimately this is a hobby for most all of us. As such, we all have our own take on why we enjoy it and what we find interesting. No wrong or right, although still plenty of room for questionable judgment. :)
    Bingo!

For me I will borrow a bit of experience from when I used to competitively waterski (I had to quit because of injury)...

I bought a ski rope that cost me like $150 bucks once, not including the handle. My non skiing friends were always giving me a hard time about it. But little did they know that not all ropes are the same. Your cheap Wal Mart rope costs $25 bucks, but when you put it under tension they stretch like a rubber band. A 75 foot rope will become an 80 foot rope and stretch around while you are back behind the boat. Not good for things requiring a whole lot of balance.

My $150 dollar rope on the other hand didn't have this problem...that $150 bucks made the difference if you made a trick or didn't or in some case if you went to the hospital or not. Getting pulled around at high speeds isn't always the most safe thing.

The same thing applies to shooting or anything else that requires skill. In the case of the rope, having a crappy rope actually does prevent you from improving as an athlete.

Hence I guess it just depends on who is getting what and why...but some things really do make a difference and others... not so much.