Downloads
    Uploads

Odin Works 16.1" SS Ultra Lite Barrel

Looks like Odin Works has released a new barrel as well.

The ULTRAlite 16.1" 223 Wylde barrels is extremely slim and only weighs 1lb 6.6oz!

223 Wylde is a hybrid of the 223 REM and 5.56. 223 Wylde has a chamber throat that is tighter than the 5.56 achieving better accuracy but still reliably functional with 5.56 ammunition.

All barrels include a low profile gas block.
    Price: $270.00

Technical Specs
    •Length: 16.1"
    •Gas placement: Mid Length
    •Rifling: Button 8 twist
    •Weight: 1lb 6.6oz
    •Made from 416 Stainless Steel
    •M4 Feed ramps
    •1/2-28 Threading

Last edited by Computalotapus; 17 June 2014 at 10:43.
    Just a regular guy.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Looks to be a 0.750 wonder why not 0.625?
    DEUTERONOMY 6:5
    flickr
    facebook
    The gift of mental power comes from God, Divine Being, and if we concentrate our minds on that truth, we become in tune with this great power - Nikola Telsa

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by GOST View Post
    Looks to be a 0.750 wonder why not 0.625?
    Im making a leap here, but it's probably because running a .625 gas block doesn't really save weight but limits procurement options. When you compare the combined weight of barrel and block in either diameter, it's pretty much a wash because almost every .625 block I've seen is really a .750 blank drilled out with a smaller hole.

From what I've seen, it's actually possible to find .750 blocks that weight less than any .625 blocks - I'm specifically thinking of Parallax Tactical's design. I THINK V7 is now making a thin-walled titanium .625 gas block with a riser to get the muzzle end of the tube at the correct elevation - but I haven't yet engaged them in discussions to verify the design.

With respect to the barrel specs, I'm glad to see another manufacturer playing in this space. I know I'm in the minority in saying this, but the lightweight 416SS, 1:8 twist barrel in .223 Wylde is my dream configuration for low-volume shooting. I think Odin hit a home run with this one - it's better (on paper) than Wilson Combat's version (5.56 NATO chambered and 3 oz heavier than Odin's design).

I need another 16" 5.56/Wylde AR pattern carbine like I need a hole in the head, but building an upper with this barrel is going to be VERY hard for me to resist.

edited: to correct possible sourcing option for a lightweight .625 gas block.
    Last edited by RiverRat; 17 June 2014 at 12:30.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by RiverRat View Post
    Im making a leap here, but it's probably because running a .625 gas block doesn't really save weight but limits procurement options. When you compare the combined weight of barrel and block in either diameter, it's pretty much a wash because almost every .625 block I've seen is really a .750 blank drilled out with a smaller hole.

From what I've seen, it's actually possible to find .750 blocks that weight less than any .625 blocks - I'm specifically thinking of Parallax Tactical's design. I THINK V7 is now making a thin-walled titanium .625 gas block with a riser to get the muzzle end of the tube at the correct elevation - but I haven't yet engaged them in discussions to verify the design.

With respect to the barrel specs, I'm glad to see another manufacturer playing in this space. I know I'm in the minority in saying this, but the lightweight 416SS, 1:8 twist barrel in .223 Wylde is my dream configuration for low-volume shooting. I think Odin hit a home run with this one - it's better (on paper) than Wilson Combat's version (5.56 NATO chambered and 3 oz heavier than Odin's design).

I need another 16" 5.56/Wylde AR pattern carbine like I need a hole in the head, but building an upper with this barrel is going to be VERY hard for me to resist.

edited: to correct possible sourcing option for a lightweight .625 gas block.

V7 has their titanium gas blocks for the .625 and the .750 diameters. They are a nice option for light weight low profile gas blocks. I am considering one of their ejection port covers as well. If I was to get this barrel I would have to mock it up with the gas block supplied by Odin Works before I make a decision on purchasing a titanium one from V7. At $70 bucks I don't know if the weight savings is worth it.
    Just a regular guy.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Computalotapus View Post
    V7 has their titanium gas blocks for the .625 and the .750 diameters.
    Yeah - my question about the .625 V7 block is does it actually have a smaller OD than the .750 version, or did they do what almost everyone else has (just hog out a smaller hole from a .750-sized blank.)

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by RiverRat View Post
    Yeah - my question about the .625 V7 block is does it actually have a smaller OD than the .750 version, or did they do what almost everyone else has (just hog out a smaller hole from a .750-sized blank.)
    I remember the first .625 GB I bought, I took it out of the plastic and put it up to a .750 and thought you lazy @&$#+/'s.
    DEUTERONOMY 6:5
    flickr
    facebook
    The gift of mental power comes from God, Divine Being, and if we concentrate our minds on that truth, we become in tune with this great power - Nikola Telsa