Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads

50K Giveaway - Aero Precision complete upper... Now plus other parts!

Hi all, first some of this will be a little redundant as I showed a little of this in the winners thread but this is the whole thing.

For those that don't know, there was a giveaway here at Weapon Evolution.The giveaway included many excellent prizes for forum members new and old by some top names in the industry. Seriously, there were great prizes all around and I would have been stoked to have won anything at all. As it happens I was the winner of a complete upper receiver from the good folks at Aero Precision.

It's kind of funny, I don't recall having won anything like this ever. I mean from time to time I would enter a contest here and there thinking all the time that it's completely pointless but I have nothing to lose... This one was no different but since winning this I'm a contest entering fool! So in addition to a super sweet prize, this giveaway has given me hope for a brighter tomorrow. One filled with contest prizes that go bang, peace for all, and if I'm being honest Unicorns.... Who doesn't like Unicorns? Oh, and the ability to go back in time and kick George Lucas in the junk for those damn Ewoks.. And this would be why I don't post on forums much, ADD and aggressive feelings toward George....Anyway, on to business.

The Prize

Through our friend UWone77 I was put in touch with the foulks at Aero Precision. To my surprise I was told that I could choose any of the complete uppers from their site. I chose the mid length COP piston upper. Rather than drill into the specs, you may read about it here if interested.

This upper is a monolithic unit meaning that what we know traditionally as the upper receiver is permamently combined at least for the most part with what would traditionally be the forend as opposed to assembling the two pieces. The result is a continuous top rail section with multiple modular options for the 3, 6, and 9 o'clock sections of the forend or rail. Whatever suits you as far as a label. The upper was delivered to me as this:

My overall impression was that it was a well finished piece with a quality look and feel. The upper comes complete with an Aero branded mid length barrel that appears to be finished with a Melonite or similar type finish. Note also that a charging handle and standard A2 flach hider are mounted in addition to the Adams Arms piston kit being fully installed. Basically there isn't much for a guy to do except for deciding on the modular rail sections. To elaborate a bit in that regard, this upper came with the full kit as far as forend options meaning that I could choose any combination of full or half 1913 rail sections in addition to blank. Here's a pic of the kit in the nice bag roll from Aero:

Build out the rest?

Almost immediately upon finding out I won the upper, the wheels began turning as to how I wanted to build out the remainder of the rifle. It wasn't going to be acceptable to just get the upper and sit on it and ponder it for a while. As far as I was concerned the choice of a lower receiver was easy, the only legitimate option was an Aero Precision piece.

This is a part where things got better. I mentiond to the Aero folks that since I had won the upper I would be interested in additionally purchasing a lower as well as other odds and ends like a parts and buffer kits. This of course was no problem as one might expect, but what surprised me was that they even cut me a deal on the remaining parts I wished to purchase. I wasn't expecting it for sure in light of the free to me upper but it did in fact come to pass that the stuff I paid for was very inexpensive.

So from Aero Precision I had on the way a complete upper, lower parts kit, forged lower receiver, billet trigger guard, and buffer kit. There wasn't a whole lot left to pick unless I just decided to upgrade a couple pieces, which I did. I felt like a cool thing to do would be to utilize other giveaway sponsors for some goodies and wound up snagging from Fortis a Hammer charging handle in black teflon as well as a RED muzzle device. Since I have been messing with the cameras a bit lately, here you go...

Hammer

RED (blem)

These are pretty sweet pieces. The Hammer is really cool and the RED although a blem is very nicely finished. Since it's melonited it should go pretty well with the barrel. I was so impressed with it that upon receiving it I immediately jumped on the site to order another to replace the phantom hider I have on my other rifle but alas they were sold out.. I also picked up a BAD ASS and enhanced pin set from Battle Arms Development. I also ordered a Seekins enhanced bolt catch and magazine release button to round out the parts selection. I happened to have on hand a Magpul MOE+ grip and ACS-L stock so I went with those.

Oh, and since I discovered with my first rifle with a red dot that I have an astigmatism I decided to try out a 1-4 power scope in the form of a Leupold Mark AR. The scope has the Firedot SPR reticle and it rides in an Aero Precision ultralight 1 inch mount. That's about it, the rest will be a display of my feeble photography skills but I hope you guys get some enjoyment from them nonetheless.

Thanks again to WEVO, Aero Precision, and the other sponsers of the 50K. Tell your friends and poke around on the forum, there is a ton of well done content as well as a group of helpful folks.

The pics:

More pics if anyone is interested. Later!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Amazing build! Awesome that they went above and beyond to serve you and get you the things you wanted.

Eventually I'll be able to show off the rifle I built using the stripped CMT upper I won from the giveaway. If only I could decide on and pay for optics...

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Ride4frnt View Post
    Amazing build! Awesome that they went above and beyond to serve you and get you the things you wanted.

Eventually I'll be able to show off the rifle I built using the stripped CMT upper I won from the giveaway. If only I could decide on and pay for optics...
    Hey thanks, I'm really liking it. Aero really hooked me up, can't say enough about that. Top notch all the way around.

I struggled with the optic a little myself. In the end I went with what I felt like was a good brand with a reticle I really liked. Time will tell I guess. You'll get there. Look forward to seeing what you do with that upper!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Turned out fantastic! Nice rifle there.
    It's difficult to soar with eagles, when you work with turkeys...

Downloads
    Uploads
    Nice!!

Sounds like Aero took good care of you....You'll have to keep us informed how the piston setup treats ya.

Downloads
    Uploads
    That looks like a really well machined build.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks fellas. Pretty curious about how the piston setup runs myself. Might be able to sneak off to the range for a bit this weekend.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Downloads
    Uploads
    Congrats again. Sexy build for sure.
    Ground Defense 1, Blade Defense 1, Defensive Pistol 1 & 2, Aliance Shoot House, When Things Go Bad, YSINTG, Carbine 1, DART Medical, NRA Range Safety Officer
    david@damagephotos.com
    Damage Photos on Facebook
    @damage_photos on Instagram
    Use DAMAGE15 to save 15% at Third Pin Threads
    Save 10% "JOINORDIE" http://cmttac.com/

Downloads
    Uploads
    Any plans to shoot this suppressed down the road?

Downloads
    Uploads
    No plans for a suppressor, at this point.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Downloads
    Uploads
    Beautiful setup. Congrats on the win!
    -One Nation, Under God

-"The bad news is time flies. The good news is you're the pilot." ~ Michael Althsuler

Downloads
    Uploads
    Lookin' good man! Looks a lot like my Stickman 50K Giveaway rifle - now if Battle Cock would get off his ass I could finish it up and post some pics!

Downloads
    Uploads
    I finally got this to the range about three weeks ago. Function was flawless through about 300 rounds. My daughter ran most of it after I sighted it in, pretty fun watching a little girl run it. The scope was great, but I'm thinking I want to take a different approach. I haven't had the best of luck with a red dot sight due to the whole astigmatism deal... But this thing is kind of begging for a faster type of optic. I will also likely upgrade the trigger, but I'm sort of shopping at the moment. Any thoughts on the CMC flat drop in unit? That one kind of has my attention at the moment.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Forgot how friggin sweet this gun is. Looks like your experience with Aero was just fine. What kind of group ya getting? sub MOA?

Downloads
    Uploads
    The flat bow triggers are great.
    DEUTERONOMY 6:5
    flickr
    facebook
    The gift of mental power comes from God, Divine Being, and if we concentrate our minds on that truth, we become in tune with this great power - Nikola Telsa