Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads

Magazine Stippling

So, it's finally summer for me. Since I have some amount of free time, I've been fixing to try my hand at stippling magazines.

I've been looking at videos and what not; it doesn't appear to be too hard to do ... just time consuming.

For anyone who has stippled - does it matter what time of soldering iron to use? (That's what you use, right?)

But before I do try magazine stippling, what are some common household items I could practice on beforehand?

Downloads
    Uploads
    I prefer a low power soldering iron. I also like to take a file to a flat headed screw and checker it then use it as the tip on the soldering iron. Post pics of your work so we can admire it.
    DEUTERONOMY 6:5
    flickr
    facebook
    The gift of mental power comes from God, Divine Being, and if we concentrate our minds on that truth, we become in tune with this great power - Nikola Telsa

Downloads
    Uploads
    You may want to message BattleCock, he's the stippling pro around these parts. His info will be better than mine.
    flickr
    facebook
    The gift of mental power comes from God, Divine Being, and if we concentrate our minds on that truth, we become in tune with this great power - Nikola Telsa

Downloads
    Uploads
    I picked up an adjustable wood burner/soldering iron for stippling stuff, it's pretty awesome once you figure out the right setting for what you're stippling. I tend to just use the finest tip to get the texture I like.

I used mags for practice, so I'm not sure what to tell you there... :-D

Downloads
    Uploads
    GOST - yep, was just taking a look at his other thread yesterday. Will have to PM him some time. Definitely will post pictures; photography is one of my hobbies.

I figure anything plastic/polymer should be okay to practice on?

Downloads
    Uploads
    Good luck with it.
    flickr
    facebook

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by GOST View Post
    Good luck with it.
    Haha thanks; I'll probably be needing it.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I use a wood burning pen. It seems to be shorter than the soldering irons I've seen. Also quite handy for detail work is a magnifying lamp.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by hg8057 View Post
    I use a wood burning pen. It seems to be shorter than the soldering irons I've seen. Also quite handy for detail work is a magnifying lamp.

I like it, subtle and just where you want/need the stippling.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I agree. Sometimes; simplicity can't be beat.

hg - what's that thing, third square, third row over? Test run? Just curious haha

In other news; just picked up a soldering iron today.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Thompson View Post
    hg - what's that thing, third square, third row over? Test run? Just curious haha.
    That would be an attempt at monogramming. It did not go well. If you tilt your head slightly to the right, and squint, it just might appear to be a "JB"

Downloads
    Uploads
    Ok yeah! I see it now!

Downloads
    Uploads
    I like the stippling on that mag hg, kind of reminds me of the tape they used to sell for PMags like 3 or 4 years ago. Now it seems like you can't find that stuff anymore as more and more people get into stippling their own stuff.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by UWone77 View Post
    I like the stippling on that mag hg,
    High praise indeed. Thanks. The decorative stuff is way beyond me right now. I just wanted to enhance the "beer can grip". I've considered the grip on my G26 but stippling a weapon scares me to death. Make a mistake on a PMAG and you buy more! Make a mistake on a weapon and you've got an ugly weapon.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by hg8057 View Post
    High praise indeed. Thanks. The decorative stuff is way beyond me right now. I just wanted to enhance the "beer can grip". I've considered the grip on my G26 but stippling a weapon scares me to death. Make a mistake on a PMAG and you buy more! Make a mistake on a weapon and you've got an ugly weapon.
    I felt the exact same way when I first started. I say you stipple Pmags, stocks, and grips for about 6 months to a year before you try a handgun frame. Unless of course you have buckets of handguns just laying around.

Edit: That is if you only do it on occasion. If you commit a lot of time to it then you could get there a lot faster. Assuming you want your gun to be a work of art and not just stippled for function.