Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads

AR Light & Mount

I'll be finishing a build in the next couple of days and am now thinking of adding a light/mount. My forend is a keymod free float. I've looked at the different options for lights and mounts and I'm stumped. How does one make a decision on which product to buy? I'm probably going to keep it simple by choosing a light that (at most) has high, low, and strobe output with tailcap activation only. The pressure switches with their wires don't appeal to me at all. Thinking it through, it seems like the light choice will be a choice based on cost and quality given the attributes I'm looking for. The mount is a different story. With the staggering amount of options, how do you winnow the field down?

Downloads
    Uploads
    I think the important question here is, what's your budget?

Bang for the buck, I'd try out an INFORCE WML. They are around $125.

No tape switches, and attaches directly to the rail. You'll have to add a piece of rail to a KeyMod at this point to attach it as no KeyMod direct attach is available at this point.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by UWone77 View Post
    I think the important question here is, what's your budget?
    At this point I'm thinking I'd like to keep it at $150ish for the light and mount with an absolute ceiling of $200.

The Inforce looks like it's a good option for me.

Downloads
    Uploads
    On that budget I would go Inforce also. I think they have a new 500 lumen offering.
    DEUTERONOMY 6:5
    flickr
    facebook
    The gift of mental power comes from God, Divine Being, and if we concentrate our minds on that truth, we become in tune with this great power - Nikola Telsa

Downloads
    Uploads
    Since we're talking about WML's, Haley Strategic also has their own special version, the Inforce WML-HSP. It's spec'ed at 200 lumen momentary on only; $119 (Inforce WML-HSP). Throw in another $50 will get you a Haley Strategic Thorntail Offset mount (Thorntail Offset)

Downloads
    Uploads
    Surefire Fury 500 lumen around $115.00 vikiing tactics mount is about $20.00. That's what I run on all my AR's and SCAR's.
    "The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it." - - Albert Einstein

Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks folks. Plenty of helpful ideas/info. I appreciate it.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I'm running a Streamlight Polytac LED ($50) in an Elzetta ZRX mount. In the future I do plan on getting a light with more throw and the Noveske Keymod direct attach light mount. My current setup was well priced and works well, but I find it lacking for those midnight 75 yard long shots on a feral pig.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Not a fan of mounts like the Thorntail. They don't hold up when dropped. Ask me how I know this...

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by UWone77 View Post
    Not a fan of mounts like the Thorntail. They don't hold up when dropped. Ask me how I know this...
    Very well - how do you know this?

Downloads
    Uploads
    I currently have an Inforce WML mounted to an HSP Thorntail. I believe the Thorntail comes in a keymod version as well. I'm not sure about exactly how durable it is, but it has held up fairly well on my rifle. I currently have mine mounted to the top rail on a CMR, just in front of the front sight. The angle of the light and placement of the button in this configuration make operation just a matter of moving my thumb.

With this setup in mind, you could also mount the Inforce directly to the top rail and completely forget about adding an additional mount for the keymod. My only hangup with this has been the placement of the button in relation to the front sight. Things are a bit tight, and when running with flip up sights, mashing the momentary on button might be a bit tricky.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Hg -

First, are you thinking of a standard 1" host light, a dedicated weapon light, or you're not sure?

If you're considering something that moves between carbine and pistol (e.g., Surefire Ultra 300 or Streamlight TLR-1/TLR-1s/TRL-1 HL), then you've already made a de facto choice on both mounting. Sure, you could add a 45 degree rail section for one of these re-purposed handgun lights, but it seems to me that the flavor of the day mounting (top rail on the muzzle side of the front BUIS) makes more sense than adding weight and creating oblique shadows.

For anything else, mounting is trying to strike a balance between minimizing shadows in your target area, ease of actuation and rock-solid mounting. For instance, I would mount a Surefire 6PX Tactical (rotate tailcap for on) differently from a 6PX Defender (clicky tailcap for on), since latching the light in the on position is such a different movement with a rotating switch. Its not quite all personal preference, but what is most comfortable for you with the particular light you've picked has to play into the selection.

So I suggest selecting a light based on what you think is most important (multiplatform use, flood for CQB vs. throw for outdoor use, actuation type). If you want help with that, we can make suggestions, but you'll have to offer up some information on how you expect to use the light when its on the carbine (indoor defense, suburban vs rural, you have bad nightvision, whatever). If the light that ends up in your possession is designed as a typical WML, just try a few rail sections on your handguard to see what feels natural. If it's a 1" host light, spend as little as possible on your first mount and get a feel for what works for you.

I'll catch flak for this on a high-end firearms forum, but here's what I suggest:

It costs about $6 delivered from Amazon. Yes, it's bulky and a bit heavy, but it's more robust than you might expect (yes, I have one and its even still mounted on a carbine).

If you put this budget mount on a 9 o'clock rail section, it locates a typical 1" host's tailcap with reasonable reach of your thumb. Ultimately, for the cost of one beer in a bar, you can have an item that will help you understand what you like in mounting location. It's disposable in the long run. Heck, you might even find that you don't like the light you bought and want to try a different option - then you'll have potentially saved the cost of more expensive mount.

After a little experimentation, you can start the search from a more informed perspective.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Thompson View Post
    Very well - how do you know this?
    Unfortunately, my rifle slipped out of my hand last year when I had a Thorntail mount of it, and it didn't survive the concrete.

OP,

There are many options out there. Personally, I like Gear Sector Mounts. My favorite combo would be a Surefire M300B or 600C on a Gear Sector Mount. Spendy, but worth it to me. INFORCE comes in a close second as it's a great option at the 12'clock position. You may also consider a Surefire X300 at the 12'clock position as well. If you look around you can find some good deals on a non-Ultra X300.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by tappedandtagged View Post
    I'm running a Streamlight Polytac LED ($50) in an Elzetta ZRX mount. In the future I do plan on getting a light with more throw and the Noveske Keymod direct attach light mount. My current setup was well priced and works well, but I find it lacking for those midnight 75 yard long shots on a feral pig.
    I would think so, 275 lumens at 9500 candela suggests a very floody beam pattern. If you like that light's general design (and price point), Streamlight produces a variant with the same runtime and lumen output, but about 50% greater throw distance (19000 candela). Its called the PolyTac HP - it would set you back about $45 new.

Downloads
    Uploads
    RiverRat,
    I'm wanting a light for my rifle exclusively. My primary intended usage is home defense with a secondary of suburban SHTF. I'm limited by cost (absolute maximum of $200), and something very simple to operate. Several in this thread have suggested an Inforce WML. I'm leaning that way right now. By no means have I decided yet though.