Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks guys, I'm super eager to get this done.

Quote Originally Posted by CoxeyDiesel View Post
    What did you end up doing with the BCM charging handle?
    A buddy of mine wanted it and offered me like new price for it, along with a trade for a standard CH. So I did that.
    -One Nation, Under God

-"The bad news is time flies. The good news is you're the pilot." ~ Michael Althsuler

Downloads
    Uploads
    Can't wait to send the end state. So hows the Raptor so far? Anything else to add about it?

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Thompson View Post
    Can't wait to send the end state. So hows the Raptor so far? Anything else to add about it?
    It's grown on me. A lot actually. Still don't know that I'd pay the premium over a BCM again unless it was on good sale, but the latch has become even smoother since it's been lubed and will say I think it's the superior charging handle. Not necessarily because it functions any better, but just because it IS smoother.
    -One Nation, Under God

-"The bad news is time flies. The good news is you're the pilot." ~ Michael Althsuler

Downloads
    Uploads

WEVO 50K - Genesis of an AR

When I buy another ambi charging handle it will have to be the LWRC. The one that came on my SPR had nice paddles that were almost the perfect size. It also had some monster roll pins, was incredibly robust, and was so smooth you would've thought it was on ball bearings.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Interesting read. Lot's of parts I couldn't put in one since they're too pricey for me and I don't make much... however, looks like you're doing a good job. Make sure you get your wife's rifle with that Ranier upper done right quick even if your rifle has to be patient for a month or so. Otherwise, you may get a few curious stares as to why HERS isn't done!!! that may not be a good thing

How do you like the extended bolt catch? I won the Gunstruction Build it Win it competition and I have one on that build. I'm looking forward to trying it out when the rifle is finally completed and sent to me.
    Freedom is NEVER Free. We have to work to protect it and even be willing to die to protect it.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by WHSmithIV View Post
    Interesting read. Lot's of parts I couldn't put in one since they're too pricey for me and I don't make much... however, looks like you're doing a good job. Make sure you get your wife's rifle with that Ranier upper done right quick even if your rifle has to be patient for a month or so. Otherwise, you may get a few curious stares as to why HERS isn't done!!! that may not be a good thing

How do you like the extended bolt catch? I won the Gunstruction Build it Win it competition and I have one on that build. I'm looking forward to trying it out when the rifle is finally completed and sent to me.
    Ha, yeah well it helps that I already had the lower done, and the cost for the upper has been fairly spread out up until recently (and now I'm sweating because I've spent so much off this last paycheck!) Only reason I was able to is because I get three checks this month instead of two, and the first two were larger than normal.

As for the wifes rifle, its on the back burner. She's not really a shooter (yet, hopefully) and with a 1 and a 4 year old its hard to find a sitter anyways. I've also got another build in the works that's higher priority, a thank you gift AR I'm building for another guy. I'm hoping to have the wifes done maybe first quarter next year. I'm going to do a build thread on it too once I've got a few more parts for it.
    -One Nation, Under God

Downloads
    Uploads
    Little late on the update but here it is, along with some pics.

Last week I got the B.A.D. E.P.S. as well as the V7 Titanium gas block. There was a bit of a hiccup with the micor FS and it has yet to be fully resolved, but more on that later.

The E.P.S.

Pretty sure I didn't actually need this, but here's why I got them. I intend to run an accu-wedge on this build, despite the fact that I've historically been against their usage. Every AR I've handled has been something of a PITA to take down with an accu-wedge installed, and that's why the E.P.S.

To make take-down easier with the use of an accu-wedge. Little longer - easier to push out, little gnarlier - easier to grip and pull out. Why the accu-wedge? Partly just to eliminate play. Partly because I know a guy who has been shooting high power since well before I was born who swears by them. I usually take such advice with a substantial grain of salt, but accuracy is his game and I DID watch him squeeze 1/4 MOA accuracy out of a PSA/FN barrel with his hand loads. So, will it help me hit a dime on a fence post using my Independence M193 ammo out of my 1/7 twist barrel using an Aimpoint with a 2 MOA dot? Hell no, but it can't hurt. The pins themselves are certainly nice, with machining WELL above and beyond what you would expect for a lowly set of take-down pins. The magnet assisted installation is also rather nifty.

The V7 titanium gas block was something I flip-flopped quite a bit on. I was worried about possible stress fractures on the gas block from the different rates of expansion between it and the barrel, and finally I just decided to call up V7 and ask. I talked to Joel about it for awhile (this is the second time I've spoke with him on the phone, and he's always SUPER friendly and eager to talk about whatever issue or question you may have). He reminded me that there is SOME play between the GB and the barrel as it's not an exact 1 to 1 fit, so as it heats up it initially just becomes tighter. Beyond that the Ti has just enough 'stretch' that fractures should never be an issue. He went on to explain because of how it tightens up as it gets hot, it creates an even better gas seal and that thus far every one they have removed has shown no sign of gas leakage. Backing up to my concern about possible stress fractures, he mentioned how popular lightweight components are becoming in the world of competition and that none have had any issues, even the ones that have been used on guns with full auto lowers. He even told me if I was ok waiting a few weeks that I could get one in Ionbond instead of cerakote, which I did. When I got it in hand... yeah, it was light. Like... gas tube light. Also the walls are the appropriate thickness as it isn't just a .750 blank with a smaller hole, which is also good as the CMR forend I've got isn't compatable with a good portion of low profile gas blocks out there.

-and here it is next to a Troy .750

I also promised pics of the Fathom BCG, here it is MOSTLY as I'm going to run it.

I say mostly because when my Lantac upper comes in, the Smoothcam Cam Pin will be installed. Also, that is obviously not the Fathom bolt. That's the Sharps Relia-bolt mentioned earlier in the thread, which I must say looks bad ass paired with the Fathom Carrier. You can kind of see where some material was milled down to form something of a set of ski's. The idea being A) less bearing surface should equal less friction and B) a place for particulate to go to stay out of the way. You can see them better in this pic. Again, I apologize that I'm not UWone77

I also added a couple other things, such as a KNS Perma Pin and a VooDoo 'Lifecoat' *cough cough* melonite *cough cough* firing pin. I got the VooDoo firing pin because at this point I just thought it'd be cool have be running a full melonite carrier group and I wanted a spare firing pin anyways. The Perma pin was likewise, I wanted a spare cotter pin and didn't know the VooDoo firing pin came with one. I did NOT know I'd have to push the Perma Pin out from the back everytime I wanted to remove it (as it sits flush with the carrier) but whatever. No big deal.

Flush.

So, backing up to the flash suppressor. The Micor. I've been a huge fan of them ever since I first shot one, and even more so since I've shot more and more other devices. However, I appear to be S.O.L. I ordered one (the extended version), and when I didn't see any movement on my order I emailed them. The abbreviated version of that email would be... "Oh yeah, we don't have those in stock and forgot to update the website. Also we don't have anymore in cue and are not really sure if or when more will be made, but we'll put you on a notification list and give you your money back." A day later I got an email from a lady who wanted me to call her with me card info so they could credit it back to my account. I conversed with her and gave her the required info, and received a receipt in my email... but nothing in my account. I gave it not quite a week, assuming perhaps it just needed time to post. Still nothing. When I called her back today to address the issue, she said it was a weird situation as it should have hit my account that first day and they show the funds as having been transferred. She got off the phone with me to call the bank. 2 hours later, still nothing so I called back again. She told me to call back tomorrow if it doesn't hit my account today. SO... here's hoping.

But I still need a muzzle device, and I'm SUPER picky about devices. I've started eyeballing the new Precision Armament EFAB as pictures, and more importantly reviews, are showing it to be pretty much exactly what I want. I bought a Battlecomp on the promise of reduced blast and improved muzzle control at A2 "like" levels of flash. That's what I wanted, it's not what I got. I DID get reduced blast, along with a dipping muzzle deviation and flash that while certainly better than something like a Surefire brake, was just as certainly NOT comparable to an A2. Pictures on Precision Armaments webpage demonstrates blast using M193 out of a 14.5" barrel and shows the EFAB to be very similar to and A2 in regards to flash, and so far early users are saying that's accurate, while reporting a neutral muzzle and reduced recoil (though not reduced to pure brake levels). So at least for now the EFAB is the pick, but it'll likely be the last part I get while I continue to monitor reviews in advent of my Lantac upper.
    -One Nation, Under God

Downloads
    Uploads
    That Fathom BCG looks good. Interested to see how long that bolt lasts. I know a few others here are running those bolts.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by UWone77 View Post
    That Fathom BCG looks good. Interested to see how long that bolt lasts.
    Me too, especially after just reading Usbp's comment in the relia-bolt thread.
    -One Nation, Under God

Downloads
    Uploads
    I've been MIA from WEVO for awhile, but got this done a few months ago.

-One Nation, Under God

Downloads
    Uploads
    Still looks good! The Rainier Non-FA upper looks like it matches well with the Noveske Lower. How does she shoot?

Glad you're back from your MIA status.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Shoots awesome! Locks back on the last round even held away from the shoulder, and the chevron FSP rocks. It's actually had me going back and forth between the Aimpoint and just running the irons. the thing I'm really in love with though is the EFAB. It's flatter shooting than the battlecomp I used to run, and had less flash than an extended A2 I shot against it at night. The A2 was mounted on another 14.5" AR that was running the same ammo (IMI M193).

Nice and light, well balanced, smooth shooting, flat muzzle with near no flash signature... what's not to love?
    -One Nation, Under God

Downloads
    Uploads
    Great job, it really looks killer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk