Thread: Mount weight

Downloads
    Uploads

Mount weight

So in the process of shedding weight and questing for lighter components, my aimpoint comp m4 mount came under scrutiny. I currently have the tall LaRue mount and I can't for the life of me find a weight for it. The conflict is EVERY place seems to say that the aimpoint comp m4 weights 11.8 oz with a mount. Standard mount, Bobro mount, LaRue mount... all supposedly 11.8 oz. I'm assuming the trend has just been to jack the weight spec directly from aimpoint. I found one place that said the optic with a LaRue mount was 12.8 oz but I'm thinking that was a typo.

So, my question is does anyone actually know the weight difference between the 2 or have the capability to measure both? Weight with the Bobro would also need to include the weight of the aimpoint spacer (I would need it for the lower 1/3ish co-witness)

Thanks!
    -One Nation, Under God

-"The bad news is time flies. The good news is you're the pilot." ~ Michael Althsuler

Downloads
    Uploads
    My desk scale says a Bobro Mount without spacer is 2.85oz

Sorry I don't have the spacer handy.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I'll go ahead and post up my findings for anyone else curious.

Weights:
    Aimpoint Comp M4 and mounts

Aimpoint Comp M4 without mount- 9.3 oz.
    Aimpoint Spacer- 0.9 oz.
    Aimpoint Cantilever/Extended Spacer- 1.6 oz.
    Aimpoint TNP (Fixed Mount)- 2.1 oz.
    Aimpoint LRP (Lever Mount)- 2.7 oz.
    Aimpoint QRP2 (Knob Mount)- 2.5 oz.
    Bobro Mount- 2.85
    LaRue LT659 (Tall Mount)- 4.02 oz.
    ADM Mount- 4.2

One consideration when looking all this over is that the Bobro and all the Aimpoint mounts require one of the spacers to raise the optic for a 1/3 co-witness. The LaRue and ADM do not.
    -One Nation, Under God

-"The bad news is time flies. The good news is you're the pilot." ~ Michael Althsuler

Downloads
    Uploads
    I'm curious, if you want to save weight, why not go with a completely different optic? The M4 is one of the larger red dots.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I like the larger tube, I feel faster with it. I like the more common battery. All that and I feel like saving weight ought to be as much about faster target to target transitions as about reducing fatigue. If I can acquire the dot faster on a larger tube from awkward angles, I'm losing more than I'm gaining by moving to something like a T-1. I guess I could always get a PRO. It hadn't occurred to me to check it's weight until you said that. I had always just assumed the M4 was lighter. Turns out it's 9.3 (M4) vs. 7.8 (PRO). I want to stick with Aimpoint because of the durability, battery life, and that I can and do always leave it on as it rides a HD weapon. Or will again.

I kinda get into in this thread.

http://www.weaponevolution.com/forum...nesis-of-an-AR
    -One Nation, Under God

Downloads
    Uploads
    Double checking, looks like M4 and PRO's run nearly the exact same weights when mounted due to the necessity of the mounting ring. The exception is the ADM 180 (tall) mount, which gives an installed weight of 11.3 oz. Exactly 1 oz. Less than the lightest M4 option (M4 + spacer + TNP mount.)
    -One Nation, Under God

Downloads
    Uploads
    Aragorn,
    The PRO + the Aero precision mount weigh in at around 9.4 oz.
    Unfortunately, the Aero is currently available only in absolute cowitness.
    However, I'm told they'll be releasing a lower 1/3 cowitness height mount in the near future.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by cma g21 View Post
    Aragorn,
    The PRO + the Aero precision mount weigh in at around 9.4 oz.
    Unfortunately, the Aero is currently available only in absolute cowitness.
    However, I'm told they'll be releasing a lower 1/3 cowitness height mount in the near future.
    Definitely getting away from a throwlever or other fast-attach system will help reduce weight.

That Aero only comes in an offset style, right? I wish they'd make one in a non-offset.
    WWW.TACTICALYELLOWVISOR.NET

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    Definitely getting away from a throwlever or other fast-attach system will help reduce weight.

That Aero only comes in an offset style, right? I wish they'd make one in a non-offset.
    The Aero is a cantilever mount, but not by all that much.

Personally, I've found that I never use the QD feature on a red dot mount - so I don't miss it (or the extra weight). YMMV.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by cma g21 View Post
    Personally, I've found that I never use the QD feature on a red dot mount - so I don't miss it (or the extra weight). YMMV.
    Yes, that's exactly my take as well. I'm rather disappointed in the number of non-throwlever mounts available these days.
    WWW.TACTICALYELLOWVISOR.NET

Downloads
    Uploads
    Other than my Daniel Defense Micro Mount, any other non QD mount I've used has rattled loose at some point.

Someone needs to make a better mount that's not QD, but it seems like the QD mounts are the ones that don't loosen up over time and shooting.

I agree though, not many of us probably need a QD optic mount.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by UWone77 View Post
    Other than my Daniel Defense Micro Mount, any other non QD mount I've used has rattled loose at some point..
    The Aero is the first non-QD mount I've used. It's held up so far. But, I've put less than 1,000 rounds through it since installing the Aero - and I used Blue Loctitie on the threads, so YMMV.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Well with one rifle, I'm certainly not gaining anything with the QD feature. I am going to be sticking with the COMP M4, just because I already have it. I have the LaRue QD tall mount for it as well. Just gotta see if something else is out there where the cost is justified by the weight savings.
    -One Nation, Under God