Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads

Rimfire Can Input Please- Updated post 13

I'm beginning my search for a 22 can. I'm not going to get in any kind of hurry and plan to weigh my options and research until early September when I'll likely buy one (if all goes as planned).

So far, I'm fairly sure I want steel baffles so I can use an ultra sonic cleaner on them and for the extra durability. I'm currently looking at the YHM Stinger and SWR Spectre II. The SilencerCo Sparrow is a bit more than I want to spend, but if it's worth the extra, I can swing it.

I have a 5.56 can already and plan to use this for only a 22LR. I have no plans to buy a 17HMR or 22 mag (actually sold my 17 due to ammo costs and from lack of using it, don't miss it).

So, what's everyone here running? How do you like it? And what should I be looking for in a 22 can?

***Update on post #13***
    Last edited by tappedandtagged; 29 July 2014 at 12:34.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Im tagging along here also as im still not in the silencer club yet, but have read a lot. I have a savage fv-sr bolt action 22, and M&p 22 rifle and pistol that i want to start out playing with

Number 1 question is always how much are you wanting to spend?

I have looked at a few including the new huntertown SS or TI can. Also the SilencerCo Spectre II can,

Short video from mac about the huntertown can and it has links to their site. http://www.thebangswitch.com/new-gua...22-suppressor/

Now i said im a newbie and others with more knowledge will chime in , im sure.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I have an AAC Prodigy that I have been very pleased with. Only one ear works, so it's hard for me to compare - but the can works well and does not affect POI

NRA Benefactor Member
    NRA Certified Instructor

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on."
    John Wayne - "The Shootist"

Downloads
    Uploads
    I used a Gemtech M4-02 (5.56) can for .22lr for a long time before I bought a dedicated .22lr can. Worked great but obviously was much heavier than a dedicated .22lr suppressor. It was super dirty all the time and the threads got buggered very quickly. If I didn't frequently clean the threads it would be very difficult to install and remove, causing wear on both the suppressor and rifle threads.

22lr leaves a lot of lead deposits so be sure to fire some 5.56 through it periodically - this will vaporize most of the lead and clean out the suppressor.

I saved up and got a couple SilencerCo 22Sparrow suppressors. Best rimfire can on the market, bar none.

Once you've seen how dirty they get you will appreciate how easy the 22Sparrow is to clean.

I use a solution of vinegar (acetic acid) and hydrogen peroxide to remove the lead deposits. 60/40 Hydrogen Peroxide to Vinegar, put it in a quart mason jar and drop your disassembled suppressor parts right in. Let it sit for an hour or so and watch the lead disappear into solution This creates a Lead Acetate solution, which is very dangerous because lead in this form can pass through your skin right into your bloodstream. So use gloves and be super careful.

Afterwards, dump some table salt into the solution to create Lead Chloride, which is less permeable through the skin. Label it "battery acid" (you are in effect creating a battery with this procedure) and drop it off at the local hazmat collection site.

.22lr suppressors are a lot of work - more than you'd expect, but boy they sure are fun.

Save your money and get the 22Sparrow. It's worth the extra coin.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by MoxyDave View Post
    I used a Gemtech M4-02 (5.56) can for .22lr for a long time before I bought a dedicated .22lr can. Worked great but obviously was much heavier than a dedicated .22lr suppressor. It was super dirty all the time and the threads got buggered very quickly. If I didn't frequently clean the threads it would be very difficult to install and remove, causing wear on both the suppressor and rifle threads.

22lr leaves a lot of lead deposits so be sure to fire some 5.56 through it periodically - this will vaporize most of the lead and clean out the suppressor.

I saved up and got a couple SilencerCo 22Sparrow suppressors. Best rimfire can on the market, bar none.

Once you've seen how dirty they get you will appreciate how easy the 22Sparrow is to clean.

I use a solution of vinegar (acetic acid) and hydrogen peroxide to remove the lead deposits. 60/40 Hydrogen Peroxide to Vinegar, put it in a quart mason jar and drop your disassembled suppressor parts right in. Let it sit for an hour or so and watch the lead disappear into solution This creates a Lead Acetate solution, which is very dangerous because lead in this form can pass through your skin right into your bloodstream. So use gloves and be super careful.

Afterwards, dump some table salt into the solution to create Lead Chloride, which is less permeable through the skin. Label it "battery acid" (you are in effect creating a battery with this procedure) and drop it off at the local hazmat collection site.

.22lr suppressors are a lot of work - more than you'd expect, but boy they sure are fun.

Save your money and get the 22Sparrow. It's worth the extra coin.
    Dave is spot on with the .22 cans and lead deposits. I only shoot jacketed .22lr through my suppressor.

I own an AAC Aviator. It's an okay can, and really I should have done my homework before buying this particular suppressor as it's a sealed .22 can. I got a smoking deal on it, which is the only reason I overlooked the sealed part.

I also have an AAC Element 2 in NFA jail right now. Hopefully it'll be released in the next 2 months. It's one of the pricier .22 suppressors, but it's also one of the lightest and quietest.

.22 suppressors are just so much fun, maybe not too practical, but throw one on an M&P22 or a Ruger 10/22, it's a great time for any shooter.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I've looked at the Sparrow, but with the extra price over SilencerCo's Spectre, I dismissed it. Guess I'll re-visit that one. It's only about $100 difference. In all reality, I'll probably have a list of cans that I'd be willing to buy, go to the two dealers in driving distance from me and buy whichever one they have in stock! I did the Form 3 transfer last time (and the Gov shutdown delayed that by a good length). After that debacle, I will probably just stick to whats in stock and can be e-filed on that day.

According to the below linked youtube video from SWR, the Spectre II slightly out performs the Sparrow. However, it was by only 2.2 dB which in all reality is not enough to notice. But, what advantages does the Sparrow have over its cousin that cost $100 less and is also made from steel components instead of aluminum? The only real advantage I see from the specs is that the Sparrow is nearly an inch shorter. Both appear easy to clean from the youtube videos out there.

In all, I'm not going to argue over $100 on such a large investment, but I both were found in stock and both perform very well, what advantage do I have with the monocore Sparrow versus the "click together assembly" baffle stack on the Spectre? Both are backed by SilencerCo's warranty as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NF_xsaJ-iyM

Downloads
    Uploads
    Honestly, I'd probably do the same thing, just buy what is in stock. I've shot 1/2 dozen .22 cans and to the shooters ear without earpro, they all sounds about the same to me.

Just pick what's in your budget.

Also make sure you post your review... we need more inputs in the suppressor arena around here.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by tappedandtagged View Post
    But, what advantages does the Sparrow have over its cousin that cost $100 less and is also made from steel components instead of aluminum? The only real advantage I see from the specs is that the Sparrow is nearly an inch shorter. Both appear easy to clean from the youtube videos out there.
    The Sparrow is stainless, it's shorter, and the Multi-Part Containment or whatever they call it makes it very easy to disassemble even when it's really dirty. The outer shell keeps the lead inside the core so the tube remains clean. You just push out the core, pull off the side plates and bingo. Not sure about the Spectre, but some baffle-type designs can become basically welded together and are very difficult to get apart after they get leaded up.

I have no personal experience with the Spectre, but I spent a lot of time looking around before I chose the 22Sparrow.

All modern .22lr cans are going to sound about the same to your ear. A few dB will make zero difference in the real world. They're all hearing safe, they're all fun as hell ... just up to you how much time you want to spend fooling around cleaning instead of shooting.

Keep in mind that this is something you will likely have for a lifetime. Getting rid of NFA items isn't as easy as listing them on ArmsList For me, spending the extra money seemed like a good choice.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Love my Griffin Armament cans.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Moxy Dave, I had previously been concerned about the baffle "welding" to the sleeves. Have you had any issues with that! And what's the highest estimated round count you've gone between cleanings you gone?

Also, Uwone77, I'll have to remember to do a review of my Specwar 556 now that I've had some range time with it. I really do need to get over my feelings of photo inadequacy. All of you photographers make this country boy feel ashamed!

Downloads
    Uploads
    [QUOTE=tappedandtagged;56085]Moxy Dave, I had previously been concerned about the baffle "welding" to the sleeves. Have you had any issues with that! And what's the highest estimated round count you've gone between cleanings you gone?

Never been a problem. They just pop right off. I typically go at least 1,000 rounds between cleanings.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I have fired a bunch of .22 cans, and to my ears they all sound pretty close to the same.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Well.... Yesterday my brother in law and I drove an hour to visit a Class III shop. We were able to demo a few cans, but sadly they didn't carry any SilencerCo/SWR products. My brother in law went ahead and bought a Huntertown Guardian SS. I held out buying one still wanting a Spectre or Sparrow. An acquaintance of mine has his SOT (albeit across the stateliness). I spoke with him and he recommended a friend of his in my state.

I just got off the phone with that dealer. He doesn't stock anything as he just started, but said he could get me a SWR Spectre II for $349. So.... I asked him to place the order with his distributor who has one in stock. Now I wait for the Form 3 at which time I'll be able to send in my form 4.

Alas, the wait begins again. In the meantime, I need to buy a threaded 10/22 barrel.

Downloads
    Uploads
    You picked an outstanding can.

sent from Jennifer Lawrence's bedroom

Downloads
    Uploads
    Love my Spectre II. You will be very pleased with your purchase.