Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I was a big fan of Vertx when they first came out. Since then, I had one order with three pairs of pants, all marked the same size, none of which were, in fact, the same physical dimensions. Of those, the one pair that fit the best seemed to have lost their original "athletic" cut for more of the American cheeseburgerbutt cut.

I'm not opposed to activity-specific attire. If I were a bicyclist I'd have padded shorts, when I ride a motorcycle I tailor my clothing to that activity, were I a golfer I'm sure I would find benefit to their game -specific clothing. When I'm at the range I find that I end up needing pockets. And living in SE Florida, I usually need my clothes to be as breathable as possible. There's definitely a movement to look as in-tactical at the range and in classes as possible. Mostly this just seems to be latent youthful refusal to do what those that came before them did, as I see It mostly in the 25-to-35 age bracket. Old enough to have a real job with real pay and participate in the events, but young enough to still think giving the finger to anyone over 40 matters. I see whole threads where guys are tripping all over themselves to brag about their daily wear of flip-flops and cut-offs, and how they attend carbine classes with a spare mag shoved up their ass rather than use a chest rig, mostly so that they are not SEEN to be wearing a chest rig.

As in all things, there is a balance. If you're a fat suburban lawyer and you're walking around all day in Arc... And full Multicam at training classes and matches, you're probably doing it wrong. By the same token, if you're showing up at classes and matches without gear or activity-specific attire for the sole purpose of looking like you're not the fat lawyer in Multicam, you're also a big fail. It's your money, and your fun, and you have the right to do with them what you want.

But we still have the right to make fun of you too. Especially when the words coming out of your mouth don't jibe with reality.
    WWW.TACTICALYELLOWVISOR.NET

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by FortTom View Post
    UW,

Thanks for the link. I do believe I'll pass on the ventilated model. After some consideration, I think that they offer way to much of an entry point for ticks, ants, spiders, stinging nettles, and other stuff that a person in my area might find themselves in while scouting for fall hunting, or fishing in a stream, etc..

FT
    The cheaper Vertx pants(55$) are thicker and can handle the thick thorny brush quite well.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by gatordev View Post
    But Rob, I remember a post several years ago from you saying how good a great all-around rifle a SR-15 was for a complete rifle. Now you're changing your mind? Now I'm going to have to completely rethink my life choices...

On a more serious note, I know in the past you also were preaching about how great a choice the 6920 is/was. Personally I think both ideas have merit. It is interesting how just those two rifles easily do 90% of what most people want out of an AR.
    This is an interesting side-effect for anyone that chooses to put their thoughts and opinions into writing and submit them to the world wide web. Look at LEO Erick Gelhaus, deleting online posts and articles in the wake of an on-duty shooting.

In my case, the SR15 was, and is, still a good value. The question is, good value for who?

The guy who just wants to impress Frank down in accounting? Buy an Oly and drag it through the Crapco catalog, Frank won't know the difference.

The guy who is interested in having a "home defense" rifle that he'll shoot maybe once a year, or once a lifetime? there are much less expensive options that are up to that task.

The guy who is genuinely interested in learning to shoot and how to use an AR, for whatever reason? maybe. The thing is, how does that guy know what his wants, needs, and actual applications are when he's buying his first gun? I know a lot of guys that started out in competitive shooting that later got more "serious" and went all tactical, and I know guys that went the other way, starting "tactical" and are now strictly competitive. The KAC probably isn't the right choice, in any case, for the guy starting out. He *might* get lucky, but he's truthfully more likely to tailor his usage to his purchase than he is to admit he purchased poorly.

Then there's the niche (which is why we call these boutique guns) of the guy that started out small, or wrong, but did a bunch of shooting, in a bunch of venues, and ran across someone else with a KAC and got to shoot it. The stock was exactly what he wanted, the trigger is perfect, the handguard is what he was always looking for, he's all bought into the "ambo" BS, and the proprietary bolt, barrel, and gas tube don't bother him. For that guy, the KAC is an unbelievable value. You can't re-create that gun for the price.
    WWW.TACTICALYELLOWVISOR.NET

Downloads
    Uploads
    Rob, hopefully you understand I was just poking fun. Your post above has some valid points. While I don't always agree with you, what I appreciate in the things you've posted in the past is that you continue to evaluate your decision based on how YOU shoot your gun(s). Personally, that kind of extended evaluation by reviewers/bloggers/etc is valuable to me. I may not go in the same direction, but at least I can see issues and mindsets encountered.

FWIW, I ended up grabbing a SR-15 upper (I couldn't get a complete gun at the time since I was in CA) to see what all the hub bub was about. I found one barely used for a great price and since I already had another lower available, it was a deal. It's a really nice shooter, and I think it's pretty amazing what they were able to do with weight vs. performance (kind of like the Noveskes). But I can't say it was $2000 amazing, or whatever a complete gun costs. Fortunately, that wasn't my price of entry.

BREAK BREAK

I meant to mention earlier that one reason why I liked the Vertx was the athletic cut. As someone with a white guy ass and no hips, they fit me really well. If they've messed with the cut since then to be the "tacitcal Dockers," that's disappointing.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Yes, the vertx cut definitely has a roomy seat these days. Can't blame the company for paying attention to their target market. My wife complains about how loose they hang on me.
    Will - Owner of Arisaka LLC - http://www.arisakadefense.com

Downloads
    Uploads
    Did you get a chance to sign up for promotive? Whether LEO/MIL, adventurer or medial type, membership is easy enough. They offer various known brands and selections to fill your tactical ninja needs or just some good bargins for outdoor gear. Everyone is always looking for a good bargin.

http://www.promotive.com/

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Slippers View Post
    Yes, the vertx cut definitely has a roomy seat these days. Can't blame the company for paying attention to their target market. My wife complains about how loose they hang on me.
    I did pick up a pair of the Vertx Phantom LT from Amazon the other day. I was concerned because the reviews reported wide variations and inaccuracies in sizing, but the marked size 32 fits me in the waist perfectly. The butt and legs, however, are baggy in the extreme. Construction and design seem good, although only time and use will tell that, but I give this pair a thumbs down for the clown-pants sizing.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Man, that's disappointing to hear. Looks like I'll have to go looking for some other brand when the time comes.