Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tires

Downloads
    Uploads

Tires

Anyone know anything about tires? It's time to get some new tires on basically our commuter car. Looking for some good all around - all seasons with good performance on wet pavement/rain.

Downloads
    Uploads

Tires

I've changed a couple thousand sets in my past life. What's your budget
    Last edited by DutyUse; 1 March 2015 at 23:30.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by DutyUse View Post
    I've changed a couple thousand sets in my past life. What's your budget

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Probably in the 500-700 range.

Downloads
    Uploads

Tires

Goodyear assurance triple tread is what I would normally recommend. About 30-40k mile life span depending on driving habits. Good wet/dry performance. Only fair in snow but doubt you have much in the PNW. 430-470 a set is a good price including a mount and balance; varies depending on the shops volume of sale. That's what I put on my wife's car.
    Last edited by DutyUse; 2 March 2015 at 00:14.

Downloads
    Uploads
    My recommendation is go to Tire Rack and peruse the tires for your car. Even if you don't buy from them, after you sort through the reviews for either your make and/or model, you can start to get a feel for what's working for a lot of people. I've done that several times for two kinds of driving (SUV and my BMW) and I haven't been disappointed with the results or surprised when a tire has some less than perfect trait that I had already read about and knew was a tradeoff.

Downloads
    Uploads

Tires

Since I live in the same area, I optimize my tires for good performance on wet pavement. I've tried quite a few, and really like the Continental DWS. They even are pretty good on snow, even in my (past) RWD Infiniti G35C.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....emeContact+DWS

-john

Downloads
    Uploads
    What kind of car and driving habits? Highway or in town?

Downloads
    Uploads
    UW, as you research online - check your OEM Speed Rating on "what came on it". I just bought some Goodyear's for Brenda's SUV. Good tires with a good mileage rating. If you match the speed rating on the OEM's, or go higher, you should see close to that in real life (assuming normal driving habits). Cost me about $11 per tire to upgrade to "H" rated tires from what I looked at. I would also recommend new valve stems every time you replace tires - but that is just me.
    NRA Benefactor Member
    NRA Certified Instructor

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on."
    John Wayne - "The Shootist"

Downloads
    Uploads
    Speed ratings are a bit gimmicky to me. No offense Jerry because I know you mean well. Realize that's a "sustained" speed. Like it can do "x" speed for "x" miles using this compound. Even our cheapest tires the gy integrities are good for over 110mph.

Also your rating changes dramatically depending on weight of car. thing to consider is the higher the rating for speed, the softer and gripper the tire the less life you can expect. For a commuter car just find something inexpensive with the characteristics your looking for. People over think tires, can't tell you how many eagle GT II's I sold because the owner of a mustang didn't want a tire that could only do 130 and would complain when his tires were bald after 12k miles.

Also any reputable shop is replacing stems on a set of tires they sell. They also should rotate and balance for free every 5k mild for free.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Downloads
    Uploads
    The Continentel DWS that BZDog recommended will get a +1 from me. when i worked at a repair shop I sold quite a few sets of those. more budget friendly (and currently on my daily) is the Uniroyal tigerpaws. good basic commuter tire. On the fun car I have the Kuhmo Ecsta SPT..

Downloads
    Uploads
    I second the Tire Rack reviews. Decide which aspects are most important to you. Noise and tread life were high priority when I used to do lots of hwy driving. Now that it's almost all urban I consider traction and cornering more important.

It's the user survey results chart that I prefer to site reviews.

Downloads
    Uploads
    In a past life I burned through tires like it was my job...

my "go to" were Falken tires. For racing, for burning and for grip. They make some decent stuff.

Obviously not cheap.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by DutyUse View Post
    No offense Jerry
    None taken I was just repeating what I was told about sidewall flex based on speed rating.
    NRA Benefactor Member
    NRA Certified Instructor

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on."
    John Wayne - "The Shootist"

Downloads
    Uploads
    I doubt a 2009 Pontiac G6 with a 4cyl needs to worry about speed ratings.

Ended up getting some MICHELIN PREMIER A/S tires. We'll get them thrown on next week.

Downloads
    Uploads
    "like a g6, like a g6"

sorry i may or may not have partaken in spirits....