Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads

How do you like fixed stocks

Lately i have been thinking of swapping my stock setup on my dedicated bench/prone 18 gun. Right now it has a STR on it with a mil spec tube. I dont really ever adjust it, only time is when in/out of case/safe.

So asking those that have and have gone from a col. stock to fixed stock ghow do yo ulike it?

Also what stock? Im looking at them all but not sure if i want to go uber cheap and old school and grab a black A1 stock setup, or for a few more bux try the fixed magpul rifle stock, or the more $$$ PRS stock

How do people like the fixed magpul rifle stock? cheek rest?

Never played with one and dont have the option, i also really like the features of the PRS , but$$$ is a problem, but wil lwait if its the end all stock..or will a good old A1/A2 stock do the job?

Discuss, even more better, posting pics of your setups..encouraged....

Downloads
    Uploads
    Some time back I pulled all of my ARs out of the safe and ran the stocks out to the length I would shoot them. I happened to have a lower with a fixed A2 stock on it so I held that up to each of the lowers with collapsible stocks. Turns out, all my stocks were just shy of A2 length when shooting! As it turns out, they were almost all right at A1 length. I picked up a Cavarms C1 stock, installed it on my gun full of excuses (iron sights, Dissipator, stock trigger, A2 hider, etc.) and have spent all of the past 12 months or more shooting that gun in my monthly matches. What I've found...

the length is perfect. I live in Florida so there isn't a lot of clothing change, I don't wear armor, and nobody but me shoots this gun. If I had to deal with a winter coat, armor, or sharing the gun with liliputians, the fixed stock might be a problem.
    The rifle buffer system is very soft. Combine it with the mid-length gas on the BCM upper I am using and it's really very nice to shoot. I snicker every time I hear someone brag about their A5 buffer.
    It's not heavier in any appreciable way. That may be a function of the gun it's on, which has no optic weighing it down but does have rifle-legth handguards on it making it front heavy. This may be one of those balance vs. weight things.
    The sling works wonderfully. I installed a QD socket on the outboard side of the rear of the stock and the inboard side at the muzzle end of the handguard. I use a Sheriff of Baghdad sling. The combo is great. Never tires, sling stays out of the way, etc.

The only major negative (outside clothes, armor, and midgets) is that the majority of soft cases these days are designed around 16" guns will collapsing stocks. So my rifle just barely fits in my case and has to be jammed in diagonally. Not a big deal, but if it was about 1/2" longer (or, an A2) it wouldn't have fit and I'd have needed to buy a new case just for this gun.
    The only other issue is that I like a rubberized butt pad so it sticks to me. I kept thinking I'd plasti-dip the trap door assembly but never did, so it must not have mattered much.

I would not opt for the A2 length as I think that's just a bit too long.
    WWW.TACTICALYELLOWVISOR.NET

Downloads
    Uploads
    I've had them, and they are not for me.

Downloads
    Uploads
    A fixed stock with length of pull and comb height adjustment is very convenient if you are using a magnified optic and are planning on shooting accurately at distance.

A rifle with a standard adjustable but stock is usefull if you plan on using body armor and a consistent cheek weld isn't your top priority.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I wanted one setup as an SPR / DMR type rifle. Used prone or benchrest only, the A2 works very well for me. But, my knuckles drag the ground. Long arms, and easy cheek-weld for the scope are bene's for me on this rig. Like Rob says, the rifle buffer system on a mid-gas Rainier Ultra-Match upper makes for easy shooting.

NRA Benefactor Member
    NRA Certified Instructor

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on."
    John Wayne - "The Shootist"

Downloads
    Uploads
    When I switch from my A2 stock on my SPR it will be to this. Similar to the PRS, comparable adjustments (think the luth actually adjusts more), and half the price of magpul. This is designed by Randy Luth, founder of DPMS.

http://www.luth-ar.com/the-mba-modul...tock-assembly/

Downloads
    Uploads
    I'd ask, like many other things with guns, how do you intend to use the weapon? You mention it's a SPR-type bench/prone gun, so I'm guessing that's the only way you shoot it, correct? If so, I'm guessing a fixed stock would be fine. But if you use it (or ever intend to use it) in a more tactical or dynamic (for lack of a better word) environment, being able to collapse or extend the stock is good to keep your proper eye-relief.

Personally, I don't just shoot my MK12 from the prone or bench (and even when moving between the two, I need to adjust LOP, depending on how much zoom I'm using), so I like the ability to adjust the stock. Every time I think about getting an A2 stock for my MK12 to make it "more correct," I then realize that I enjoy shooting it more than taking pictures, and being able to occassionally do either a SPR class or a local tactical precision match recages my desires back to what I already have (which happens to be an ACS).

But again, I'd say it's how you want to use (or continue to use) your gun.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Ride4frnt View Post
    When I switch from my A2 stock on my SPR it will be to this. Similar to the PRS, comparable adjustments (think the luth actually adjusts more), and half the price of magpul. This is designed by Randy Luth, founder of DPMS.

http://www.luth-ar.com/the-mba-modul...tock-assembly/
    Wow, that's a pretty good price.

I'm like you, mustang; the only time I adjust mine is when someone wants to see how it adjusts... LOL
    Ground Defense 1, Blade Defense 1, Defensive Pistol 1 & 2, Aliance Shoot House, When Things Go Bad, YSINTG, Carbine 1, DART Medical, NRA Range Safety Officer
    david@damagephotos.com
    Damage Photos on Facebook
    @damage_photos on Instagram
    Use DAMAGE15 to save 15% at Third Pin Threads
    Save 10% "JOINORDIE" http://cmttac.com/

Downloads
    Uploads
    Im hearing what you guys are saying.

That luth stock looks interesting.

This rifle so far just lives on the bench or ground shooting groups, steel or whatever. Other AR's i have dont live on the bench. as to why i asked, especially fro msomeone who went from a col. stock setup to a fixed.

Wanted to know how people liked the differences between the A1/A2 to the magpul fixed rifle stock and how it was as far as overall impression and cheek weld. or was the PRS the way to go..Again have not played with any fixed stocks. last time was years ago when i told my dad we needed to knock the dust off his old colt hbar with a2 stock..lol..

And edit..Damn nice rifle Jerry..

Downloads
    Uploads
    I've used a ton of different stocks and one of my favorite was the Vltor A1 Modstock.

http://www.vltor.com/products/stocks/

Downloads
    Uploads
    I'll definitely be running a fixed stock on a near-future precision build as I typically extend stocks all the way when shooting prone or from the bench anyway. I have also been considering picking up something in the A1 length as I find myself running stocks at around the 3 or 4 position on an A5 tube.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Two videos I found of myself shooting showing why, I think, the A1 length stock works for me regardless of prone, standing, etc. note the difference in my shoulder and hip positions between the two.

http://youtu.be/MgvOMJan2d8

http://youtu.be/vHyhZQ65K6s

Downloads
    Uploads
    So no one runs the magpul fixed rifle stock? Just curious , how sturdy it actually feels and how the cheekweld is? As it looks like the a1/a2 comb height and about a a1 LOP.

Like this pic, which is comparing the fixed stock to the prs

Downloads
    Uploads
    The Magpul wasn't out when I went fixed, but I think it's A2 length, no?

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote and pic i found on a google search i bookmarked for the pic and info

A1 Stock = 11.9oz
    A2 Stock = 13.2 oz
    MOE Rifle = 14.0 oz

" "Magpul mentioned on their FB page that the LOP is 13.25"
    "The MOE rifle is about half way between an A1 and an A2 in length. Uses rifle buffer tube with no spacer."