Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads

ALG Defense Combat Trigger

Anyone have any recent experience with these? I did a search and I didn't see anything that wasn't relatively old, and some of those posts seemed to indicate some issues. Have these triggers been ironed out and tuned up to where they function as advertised?

Downloads
    Uploads
    I use the QMS to replace gritty stock mil-spec triggers to keep the same feel on all my ARs. I put in one coated ACT to compare and while it is fine, I don't think it worth the extra bucks unless you are worried about wearing it out. Both feel the same to me as the best factory triggers.

The only issues I have heard of was with early ACT pins not fitting correctly. I expect that has been corrected by now. Zero issues with the QMS that I am aware of.

I used to lust after top shelf Geisseles, but after reading about a pros performance degrading when he went back and fourth between mil-spec and custom, I (and he) decided to stick with all mil-spec. If I could afford all Geisseles I would, but feel upgraded optics are a better priority for my budget and old eyes.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Short look at the trigger. Still running it in the same 6920 and it really hasn't changed much, if at all. An interesting (to me anyway) side note; I have checked out a bunch of S&W M&P15 rifles and the trigger is as good, some better, then the QMS triggers. Note that my single QMS trigger is from 2012.

Downloads
    Uploads

ALG Defense Combat Trigger

My Noveske complete rifle came with an ALG ACT stock. Not sure I have enough experience with other options to contribute, but I think Noveske picking this as their default suggests they also felt it is a reasonable mil spec option.

There have been some reports of problems here and there, but AFAIK any time the consumer contacted the company they were taken care of without fuss.

Bill Geissele has a good (although slightly dry and long) video where he explains the difference between all the trigger options, including the ALG options.

ALG discussion starts at about 26m.10s

http://youtu.be/ypb5HXdDJhc

My feeling is the ACT is probably about as good as you can do safely with the mil spec design. Personally I think the Geisseles are the better option due to the design, but clearly at a cost premium.

-john
    Last edited by bzdog; 11 July 2014 at 12:28.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I have probably just as many QMS's and I do ACT triggers.

Here's what I would tell you. If you have a plain jane Mil-Spec trigger from a LPK, try that trigger out first. Like Eric mentioned sometimes you'll get a decent out of the box trigger, and an "upgrade" will not be necessary. I've been lucky a few times and got a pretty good trigger from an LPK. Having said that, a lot of the time, you will get a crappy 9lb trigger with a lot of grit. If you fire or dry fire that trigger, sometimes it will smooth out with use.

If you are dissatisfied with your current GI trigger and looking for something with a consistent say 6lb pull with minimal grit, you may want to look at the QMS. Is it worth the $40 upgrade? At this point, it's hard to say in my opinion. As long as you're not expecting a cheap SSA type trigger, then it might be a worth while upgrade. However, I would definitely go with a QMS over the ACT as the ACT has the coating, and to me that does nothing for the grit or trigger pull over the QMS.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I've also found this short video explaining the difference how the triggers work to be helpful.

http://youtu.be/z4MA5OqTsWU

-john

Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks for the feedback gents, and bzdog, thank you for the video links.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I run a few QMS triggers, after a few crappy milspec lpk triggers from psa and stag kits. they did do a slight improvement and can tell now more when i switch to guns that dont have one..

I have been thinking of trying a poormans geisselle. and trying a qms and JP reduced spring kit , just to see how it worked and if reliable.
    Last edited by mustangfreek; 9 July 2014 at 14:16.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Get the Geissele G2S

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by KevinBL View Post
    Get the Geissele G2S
    That's what I ended up doing. Found it for under $150 shipped. Love it. I have never tried the ACT or QMS triggers, but the G2S is far better than the mil spec triggers I've had on any of my 3 AR's.

Downloads
    Uploads
    My 18" bench gun has a crappy, polished psa fcg in it, and it sux and is long and gritty and i would love to upgrade...Would the G2S be better then nothing , as i here the praise with bench shooters with the ssa-e and sd-e but again not ever shooting guns with various different "better" fcg's dont know how the g2s would stackup...

Downloads
    Uploads
    G2S is vey nice, feels to me just like a SSA. My favorite Geissele triggers are the SD3G and SDE.
    DEUTERONOMY 6:5
    flickr
    facebook
    The gift of mental power comes from God, Divine Being, and if we concentrate our minds on that truth, we become in tune with this great power - Nikola Telsa

Downloads
    Uploads
    Right on, see i've never had the opportunity to shoot rifles with nice triggers yet...I have yet to get past the price point and just do it..lol..

but i can tell a difference between my qms triggers and the regular old lower parts kit FCG

Downloads
    Uploads
    I have an ACT in my 12.5" SBR. Shooting my buddies rifle I built for him this past weekend, I could absolutely feel the difference. In a direct LMT vs ACT, they both felt like single stage mil triggers, however the ACT was significantly smoother. There was still some creep on it, but it was consistent creep if it makes sense. Trying these triggers side by side and then going back to the SSA-E helps put them all in perspective. I'd absolutely pay the little bit of extra cash on an ACT when building up a lower, especially if I'm building it for a newer shooter like my wife or my friend. When you're trying to teach a smooth and steady trigger pull a crap mil trigger can be less than inspiring.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Core 15 has Geissele SSA-E triggers for $156. I believe you have to signup with them to get their Meltdown price.
    DEUTERONOMY 6:5
    flickr
    facebook
    The gift of mental power comes from God, Divine Being, and if we concentrate our minds on that truth, we become in tune with this great power - Nikola Telsa