Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads

First pistol build

Well, since Maryland State Police gave us permission (funny we had to ask for permission) to buy lowers again, I've decided I can't take staring at others' pistols all day and I'm going to do one myself.

Just wanted to start this thread and make a list of tentative parts so I could share with you and get some thoughts and insight.

Right now I'm going to just buy the basics and everything else will be looked into over time. Keep in mind this will be a budget conscious build.

UPDATE: all parts finalized
    Anderson lower
    Aero upper
    Rainier Force rail (still need to swap my 12" for a 9")
    AIM nib bcg
    Damage industries lower parts
    Rainier trigger guard
    Magpul K2
    CMC trigger
    MFT minimalist stock
    Low pro gas black and tube from red barn
    MAS defense barrel
    Vg6 epsilon
    NTD Ti fang fwd assist (thanks comp)

With this being a budget conscious build, I think I hit the mark. All told, with some of these parts being free/gifts, I have $767 in this rifle, minus the stamp and optics. Hoping to try some of the optics from the t&e program before I settle on something.

Lower: Anderson Manufacturing forged lower

Upper: have a stripped AERO laying around unused since UWone77 got me a CMT billet from the last giveaway

Handguard: will do some shopping around, but I really love my Rainier FORCE, so it may be a 12" FORCE

Trigger: CMC

LPK: shop around til I find a decent deal on one without a grip and FCG, likely buy the parts separately at a gun show.

Grip: Magpul K2

BCG: another one of those things I'll shop around on. Not too cheap but find a good deal.

Barrel: Need advice on this one. I guess I'm going the 10.5-11.5" route, but need some input on the best "bang for my buck"

Muzzle device: not too sure on this one either, but I'm leaning the Noveske kx3 route, but I do really like that new Primary Weapons CQB muzzle device too.

Optics: Primary Arms red dot, or I'll move my Vortex Sparc off my 14.5" and put a 1-4 on that rifle.

That should pretty much be a complete rifle with the exception of some odds and ends trinkets that I can add later. Interested to hear you guys thoughts.

Funny how the tables have turned. I was told last summer before the ban that I wasn't allowed to build a pistol (which was BS) and now I'm being told explicitly that I have to build a pistol or HBAR.
    Last edited by Ride4frnt; 31 December 2014 at 10:20.

Downloads
    Uploads
    My Aero Precision "Pistol" marked lower and accompanying upper should be here next week, so I am definitely interested to follow along. Someone just posted this link a little while back for this LPK:

http://www.weaponoutfitters.com/woa-...o-trigger.html

I like the Phase 5 Tactical pistol buffer kit. I think mine is going to sport a 10.5" or 11.5" barrel as well, so I'll be interested to see the suggestions.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Following as i like build threads....

I am almost there for my pile of parts for my first pistol also, went with the 10.5" Aero nitrided barrel and force rail.

One thing wrong here, build threads require pics.......

Downloads
    Uploads
    This is going to be awesome
    Sent from my Windows Phone 8.1
    Just a regular guy.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I've been thinking about an AR pistol after hearing the news. Was personally leaning towards 11.5" KMR upper from BCM. But I should probably get uppers on my rifle lowers before I start buying more lowers and the such...

Downloads
    Uploads

First pistol build

Quote Originally Posted by mustangfreek View Post
    Following as i like build threads....

I am almost there for my pile of parts for my first pistol also, went with the 10.5" Aero nitrided barrel and force rail.

One thing wrong here, build threads require pics.......
    Well if you want pics of a stripped upper id be obliged otherwise you'll have to wait til I get the sb15 and lower.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Gaspipeshooter View Post
    My Aero Precision "Pistol" marked lower and accompanying upper should be here next week, so I am definitely interested to follow along. Someone just posted this link a little while back for this LPK:

http://www.weaponoutfitters.com/woa-...o-trigger.html

I like the Phase 5 Tactical pistol buffer kit. I think mine is going to sport a 10.5" or 11.5" barrel as well, so I'll be interested to see the suggestions.
    The WOA LPK that Weapon Outfitters sells is GTG. I especially like the option of not having the trigger included. Also like to support WO whenever I can.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by UWone77 View Post
    The WOA LPK that Weapon Outfitters sells is GTG. I especially like the option of not having the trigger included. Also like to support WO whenever I can.
    He sent me a link last night to a kit from WO that you can configure yourself. The WOA kit with the K2 grip, magpul trigger guard and ALG trigger is $120.

Downloads
    Uploads

First pistol build

Pic added to first post since you wanted pics. There's enough money in there to cover the lower and get me a old fashioned coke at the general store above my FFL.

Just got off the phone with my shop, $100 cash (including tax and fees) for the lowers, they'll be in next week.

And earlier this afternoon I called Ryan at SIG and he extended me a pretty sweet deal on the SB15 brace even though I missed out on the deal for the free rifle bag.
    Last edited by Ride4frnt; 18 July 2014 at 12:51.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Alright folks, talk to me about this.

Realistically I don't think a pistol will be used past 25-50yds, so I need to know what to do about barrel length. It's undeniable that a 7.5" barrel looks awesome, but how do they compare to a 10.5"? I know the velocities and stability are going to suffer on a 7.5, but what else? I'm leaning toward the 10.5 but id like to hear some input about both if anyone has any.

Downloads
    Uploads
    If it's for plinking it shouldn't be a problem, if it's for defense, due to the decreased velocities most defense ammo will not reliably expand. I think the 50 gr TSX will work out of barrels as short as 8", IIRC they developed it in conjunction with LWRC's original UCIW 8" barrel program. I could be wrong, however.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I'm waiting on a 7.5" barrel right now, but for a first/only pistol I would go 10.3-11.5" for more reliability and less obnoxiousness. I already have AR, Sig and AK ~10" shorties. Have you hefted a KX3? It's like an anvil on the end of the barrel. KX5 is much lighter. I use a Troy Clamore for less $$$.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I was following a build through MadDogWeapons that a guy used one of his 7'' 6.8 barrels and he was getting .75 groups at 100yds with I think about 2300fps with 95gr. TTSX pills so the 100yd possibilities are there I think. Mad Dog also has some 8.2 6.8 barrels that I thought was mighty tempting if he's getting this kind of shorty performance with the 7''. I am also hearing good things about the Black River Tactical linear comps for pistols, but the KX5 would be sweet peeking out.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Gun shop is holding me a lower to go pick up tomorrow. It's an Anderson Manufacturing forged lower. Not really what I wanted but it's what I'll have to take.

Sidebar: never really heard of Anderson rifles before but they claim you can run them with no lube ever, and clean with soap and water... Not sure id buy into it, and certainly wouldn't want to run the gun dry, but it sounds interesting if it works.

http://www.andersonrifles.com

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Ride4frnt View Post
    Gun shop is holding me a lower to go pick up tomorrow. It's an Anderson Manufacturing forged lower. Not really what I wanted but it's what I'll have to take.

Sidebar: never really heard of Anderson rifles before but they claim you can run them with no lube ever, and clean with soap and water... Not sure id buy into it, and certainly wouldn't want to run the gun dry, but it sounds interesting if it works.

http://www.andersonrifles.com
    I think you have to buy their complete rifle; they don't sell pieces/parts coated with their "RF85".