Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Gaspipeshooter View Post
    I think you have to buy their complete rifle; they don't sell pieces/parts coated with their "RF85".
    Yeah I'm not worried about having it, I just saw it when I looked the company up. Had never heard of them, it's just what the shop has in stock, and Maryland residents cannot be choosers at this point.

Also been seeing a lot of people on other forums complaining about their marketing strategies, but the people who do have their products say there is nothing wrong and they like them. I'll look it over well before I buy one.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Ride4frnt View Post
    Gun shop is holding me a lower to go pick up tomorrow. It's an Anderson Manufacturing forged lower. Not really what I wanted but it's what I'll have to take.

Sidebar: never really heard of Anderson rifles before but they claim you can run them with no lube ever, and clean with soap and water... Not sure id buy into it, and certainly wouldn't want to run the gun dry, but it sounds interesting if it works.

http://www.andersonrifles.com
    They are located about 20 minutes from me, less if no traffic. You can buy their products here locally, fairly cheap. Their complete rifles come with a tag that states "Do Not Lubricate". I've seen several around here, and they don't lubricate them, for the most part, maybe a drop or two here or there and that's it. I was skeptical at first, but I've not seen one worn out, having abnormal or premature wear, or any other undesirable side effects. I've become much less of a skeptic. I do have one of their lowers, but not the coated model. I can say that it's very well made, has no slop, and parts fit as they should. Those will go on sale locally for as low as $49.00 plus tax. Quality is right on par with my LMT, BCM and other "expensive" lowers.

FT
    NRA Life Member
    Deplorables Life Member
    Bible and Gun Clinger
    Filthy Stinking Wal Mart Shopper

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by FortTom View Post
    They are located about 20 minutes from me, less if no traffic. You can buy their products here locally, fairly cheap. Their complete rifles come with a tag that states "Do Not Lubricate". I've seen several around here, and they don't lubricate them, for the most part, maybe a drop or two here or there and that's it. I was skeptical at first, but I've not seen one worn out, having abnormal or premature wear, or any other undesirable side effects. I've become much less of a skeptic. I do have one of their lowers, but not the coated model. I can say that it's very well made, has no slop, and parts fit as they should. Those will go on sale locally for as low as $49.00 plus tax. Quality is right on par with my LMT, BCM and other "expensive" lowers.

FT
    Awesome, all I needed to hear! My FFL is selling the lowers for $100 including all the MD fees and sales tax. My other option was a spikes or aero and then I'd be paying for shipping, $50 transfer (fees went way up since the shops lost a lot of money to the gun ban) and $10 for MD application fee.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Realistically I don't think a pistol will be used past 25-50yds, so I need to know what to do about barrel length. It's undeniable that a 7.5" barrel looks awesome, but how do they compare to a 10.5"? I know the velocities and stability are going to suffer on a 7.5, but what else? I'm leaning toward the 10.5 but id like to hear some input about both if anyone has any.
    Very generally speaking, as you decrease the length of the barrel, there is more heat, gas and debris trapped in a smaller area and this all serves to shorten the lifespan of the weapon's internal parts. Pistol length gas systems also also louder and more violent than similarly set up carbine and mid length systems. As mentioned earlier, you will need to mess with buffer weights and spring tensions a little more than with a carbine or longer gas system but there is a lot of information out there to help with that.

If you haven't seen it already, check out Thordson Customs. They are making a pistol buffer thing similar to what SIG is producing (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NE-JYbgigVw)

Also, I would never use soap and/or water to clean a weapon. No matter what a manufacturer says.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by schambers View Post
    Very generally speaking, as you decrease the length of the barrel, there is more heat, gas and debris trapped in a smaller area and this all serves to shorten the lifespan of the weapon's internal parts. Pistol length gas systems also also louder and more violent than similarly set up carbine and mid length systems. As mentioned earlier, you will need to mess with buffer weights and spring tensions a little more than with a carbine or longer gas system but there is a lot of information out there to help with that.

If you haven't seen it already, check out Thordson Customs. They are making a pistol buffer thing similar to what SIG is producing (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NE-JYbgigVw)

Also, I would never use soap and/or water to clean a weapon. No matter what a manufacturer says.
    Thanks for the info about the barrels. I've decided in going with a 10.5" anyways. I'll be honest if I went with a 7.5" it would be for novelty. No sense in building a gun based on looks alone.

Also, I would never use water to clean a gun either, I just found it interesting they advertise that this can be done because it goes against what we've always been told to do with a weapon.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Gun shop is holding me a lower to go pick up tomorrow. It's an Anderson Manufacturing forged lower. Not really what I wanted but it's what I'll have to take.

Sidebar: never really heard of Anderson rifles before but they claim you can run them with no lube ever, and clean with soap and water... Not sure id buy into it, and certainly wouldn't want to run the gun dry, but it sounds interesting if it works.

http://www.andersonrifles.com
    Let me know what you think of their lower when all is said and done. I'm curious as to whether or not they're decent, as they seem to be some of the only lowers you can currently find in MD.

Downloads
    Uploads
    10.5 .... you made a good choice.

Downloads
    Uploads

First pistol build

Quote Originally Posted by UWone77 View Post
    10.5 .... you made a good choice.

Love that one. I'm thinking in gonna go with a 10.5" with a 12" FORCE. Think I may try out the PWS CQB muzzle device.

Thinking about a lighter silver color cerakote or maybe a NIB coating on the receiver set, and a stainless barrel with black handguard and furniture. Tough choice, cerkote will run me $140 locally, or WMD costs $150 for NIB receiver coating.

On the topic of barrels, who is offering decent barrels for good prices? So far it's
    Looking like around $200 for a barrel. 3 ive been looking at are Rainier Match, Sionics, and Aero Precision. Any other offerings I should be considering?
    Last edited by Ride4frnt; 21 July 2014 at 18:41.

Downloads
    Uploads
    On the topic of barrels, who is offering decent barrels for good prices?
    Best priced 10.5 I've seen is Faxon's - haven't handled one and they might be hard to find. But the specs are pretty good and the $119 price is amazing.

Image Credit: www.faxonfirearms.com

• Barrel Material: 416R Stainless
    • Barrel Type: Button Rifled
    • Barrel Caliber: 5.56 NATO
    • Barrel Twist: 1:8
    • Barrel Length: 10.5"
    • Barrel Profile: Light
    • Barrel Gas System: Carbine
    • Inside Finish: Raw
    • Outside Finish: Raw
    • Muzzle Thread: 1/2-28 TPI (Threads Per Inch)
    • Gas Block Diameter: .750"
    • Gas Port Diameter: .078"
    • Barrel Extension: M4
    • Weight: 1.09 lbs
    Last edited by RiverRat; 21 July 2014 at 19:01.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I have no clue how that shoots, but the Faxon is beautiful!

Downloads
    Uploads
    I have no idea also on the faxon barrels, as they are fairly new.

I am almost done collecting parts for my first pistol build and went with the 10.5" Aero nitrided barrel, had a chance to mock it up with a 9" force rail and VG6 epsilon..Should be a fun little toy..Was gonna go with a piggy but got a great deal on the epsilon and wanted to be different..

Downloads
    Uploads
    On the topic of barrels, who is offering decent barrels for good prices? So far it's
    Looking like around $200 for a barrel. 3 ive been looking at are Rainier Match, Sionics, and Aero Precision. Any other offerings I should be considering?
    Not sure what they're going for, but did you see the 10.5" barrels that Engage Armament is having WOA make for them? http://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=156596

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Calengor View Post
    Not sure what they're going for, but did you see the 10.5" barrels that Engage Armament is having WOA make for them? http://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=156596
    Ooooh! Yes I forgot about those! I read they were having them made and completely skipped my mind. Looks like a trip to Rockville soon. I messaged andy to see what the cost would be.

Downloads
    Uploads

First pistol build

Thought about it more today when I went to buy my lower (he wanted to sell me a LPK too). I have no need to buy a LPK because I have a few things laying around.

The Hex2 comes with the castle nut and end plate, the ACT trigger comes with springs and pins, using a BAD safety, and using a Rainier trigger guard when they are released. I have a bolt catch, spring, and plunger at the house.

Add anything to this that I may have forgotten but I think I'll only need the pivot/takedown pins, detents and springs, safety detent and spring, buffer detent and spring and a mag release and spring.

All the other parts will come with something else I'm buying.
    Last edited by Ride4frnt; 22 July 2014 at 14:47.

Downloads
    Uploads

First pistol build

So much for this being a slow build...

Yesterday I went through all the misc lower parts I had at home and ordered the rest of them from damage industries.

Today, the Rainier Modified Trigger Guard went live on revolvr, so I got that too.

Sig brace will be here shortly, and I'll pick up my lower on Tuesday. I'm like a kid on Christmas morning these days.

Edit: then rainier proceeds to post pics of their extended mag release...as if I wasn't already broke.
    Last edited by Ride4frnt; 24 July 2014 at 12:02.