Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads

Out of spec problem with recent Aero uppers..Am i the only one?

After i write up a review on their scope mount, which i still like :) ....this is not about.

I have had a little pile of Aero uppers and lowers, and recently barrel, gas block and scope mount all have been good stuff except for a few of the stripped uppers. As i was hoping to get this upper together this week..but..

Beginning of the year i built a rifle with some nice parts and had a extra aero upper sitting around, so built it up, have problems with the cycling,bcg or something, come to find out the upper is out of spec...great..So they cut me a deal and sell me a new stripped upper at a discounted price..Cool

Well fast forward to last night when i was mocking everything up for my pistol build and all was well, until i took out the bcg of another build (as i need the bcg to complete this build) and go to insert it, just to make sure all is good with the gas tube alignment and such...Well it wont go in but about a 1/3 of the way and stops..humm..it requires me to push it hard, harder then absolutely necessary and it gos in, well when i go to cycle it, it just stops at this point without excessive force, well that was a NIB RA BCG, so i pull out a RA phoshphate BCG of another upper and again same problems...Stuck as chuck..All other stuff is fine in my other uppers.

Also the hammer charging handle has to be pushed in so hard it already starting to screw with the finish on the brand new Fortis hammer..

So call em up..they want to see pics first, then will have me send it in for testing??? then will advise me what they are going to do...What? You can see by my receipts somewhere that i am a loyal customer, and local and i feel they should just send me one out and and ill return the problem one back in the box..

Anyone else have problems lately with any aero stuff? Curious..?

Again, they wanted a pic, so was'nt sure of what and how to, so in this on it is so tight , this is where it first gets stuck real bad, and again played with 3 BCG's and all did the same

So just to show you as they wanted a pic first??..Its hard to tell, but in the one where im holding it, i could literally swing it around or whatever and it would'nt come out...

I was trying to keep this short..but..it got longer ..so if your still reading this, its not a bash towards Aero, just a whats up lately with their QC? Also hearing some small problems on the 308 sets that just came out, but i cant comment on that as i dont have any in my presence.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Seems like lots of stuff that's out of spec lately. I'm wondering where the QA is? That's ridiculous.

Downloads
    Uploads
    That's really odd as I know so many people who run Aero uppers. Maybe it's a more recent thing? How long have you had it?
    History is something that is bound to repeat itself, it's up to you to decide what side you will be on.
    I love history.

Downloads
    Uploads
    This upper in the picture above is a month old, the one it replaced was from the beginning of the year.

Waiting to hear back from aero...

Downloads
    Uploads
    Great. Now I have to go home and check my uppers I bought a few months ago.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by mustangfreek View Post
    Also hearing some small problems on the 308 sets that just came out, but i cant comment on that as i dont have any in my presence.
    I'm curious what you are hearing, because I "thought" I had a problem with my new .308 set because they moved the rear takedown pin detent hole to the bottom of the receiver. I was looking at the back end and went "WTF??? No hole!" So I called Aero, and was asked to take pictures. Then about 5 minutes later the girl called me back and informed me their product manager said to check in the grip mounting area because the hole is vertical from the bottom of the receiver, behind the safety detent hole. I found it, it is tapped for a #4-40 screw, but they did not include a screw. That ticked me off a little. Not sure why you would drill and tap a hole and not supply the screw with it? I've been to busy to do anything else with it yet, so I haven't even procured a BCG yet to even try.

As an FYI, anyone who does buy a set, you will probably have to shorten your detent spring by the length of the screw you use, if you so choose to actually use a screw. On the .308 CMT Tactical Billet Receiver set it is tapped for a screw in the takedown pin detent hole, and they give you instructions on shortening the spring.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Maybe its just me but I don't see the issue why their response. They didn't say kick rocks they said send them pictures and lowers and they would look at it. Seem fair. This isn't a personal attack but just because you spend a lot of money with them doesn't mean your trustworthy and not trying to get over. It just means you spent a lot of money with them. It sounds like you may have the ability to handle this in person. I would stop by with the upper in hand. You may get satisfaction faster with that approach.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Gaspipeshooter View Post
    I'm curious what you are hearing, because I "thought" I had a problem with my new .308 set because they moved the rear takedown pin detent hole to the bottom of the receiver. I was looking at the back end and went "WTF??? No hole!" So I called Aero, and was asked to take pictures. Then about 5 minutes later the girl called me back and informed me their product manager said to check in the grip mounting area because the hole is vertical from the bottom of the receiver, behind the safety detent hole. I found it, it is tapped for a #4-40 screw, but they did not include a screw. That ticked me off a little. Not sure why you would drill and tap a hole and not supply the screw with it? I've been to busy to do anything else with it yet, so I haven't even procured a BCG yet to even try.

As an FYI, anyone who does buy a set, you will probably have to shorten your detent spring by the length of the screw you use, if you so choose to actually use a screw. On the .308 CMT Tactical Billet Receiver set it is tapped for a screw in the takedown pin detent hole, and they give you instructions on shortening the spring.
    Your post amused me a bit... no offense intended... but most DPMS patterned 308 lower receivers have the hole on the bottom. The spring is usually captured.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Judicator View Post
    Great. Now I have to go home and check my uppers I bought a few months ago.
    lol. I would recommend it.
    History is something that is bound to repeat itself, it's up to you to decide what side you will be on.
    I love history.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by UWone77 View Post
    Your post amused me a bit... no offense intended... but most DPMS patterned 308 lower receivers have the hole on the bottom. The spring is usually captured.
    I have broad shoulders...I can take some punishment...lol. Being a lowly civilian, I don't get smoking discounts or freebies from industry contacts, therefore I have to pay full retail when I buy parts to build guns. Therefore my only previous .308 experience is with the CMT billet set, and apparently my memory was even foggy on that. It is set up the way you described, and not the way I seemed to remember it. Apparently I've been looking at too many AR15 style receivers of late. At least I was right about shortening the spring; I did verify that on the CMT instructions. It's hell getting old; they say with age the memory is the first thing to go...

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Calico Jack View Post
    Maybe its just me but I don't see the issue why their response. They didn't say kick rocks they said send them pictures and lowers and they would look at it. Seem fair. This isn't a personal attack but just because you spend a lot of money with them doesn't mean your trustworthy and not trying to get over. It just means you spent a lot of money with them. It sounds like you may have the ability to handle this in person. I would stop by with the upper in hand. You may get satisfaction faster with that approach.

Like it says in my post..somewhere in all the rubbage...I was not bashing them at all, just asking whoe else , if anyone was having problems with aero stuff lately..

They kinda helped me out before, instead of replacing the bad upper, they only gave me a discounted one...kinda dumb..now this one has more of a issue then the other. So know im into this upper then say a nice mega or RA or others..

Hope they make it right, and i am not paying any amount towards another, and if they say that..well i might make a nice video with a bandsaw...

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by mustangfreek View Post
    Like it says in my post..somewhere in all the rubbage...I was not bashing them at all, just asking whoe else , if anyone was having problems with aero stuff lately..

They kinda helped me out before, instead of replacing the bad upper, they only gave me a discounted one...kinda dumb..now this one has more of a issue then the other. So know im into this upper then say a nice mega or RA or others..

Hope they make it right, and i am not paying any amount towards another, and if they say that..well i might make a nice video with a bandsaw...

I forwarded this thread to Chad Larsen at Aero Precision. Hopefully, it can get resolved without any hassles.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mine are good! I gotta start building got 4 aero sets in the safe lol

Sent from my IPhone, please ignore spelling mistakes. Siri is dumb.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Need to check on my white set. Still haven't sent them off to WMD. Would piss me off to pay and eat the cost of NiB and not be able to use it.
    It's difficult to soar with eagles, when you work with turkeys...

Downloads
    Uploads
    I picked up my "Pistol" marked lower and an Aero upper last Friday. I was in the shop this afternoon and checked my upper with a WMD NiB-X BCG and it was fine.