Thread: DPx HEAT/F OD

Downloads
    Uploads

DPx HEAT/F OD

Just because I'm a huge fan of DPx blades.

Description:

DPx HEAT/F is here.

In 2010 Robert Young Pelton took his original 3” 1095 Shon Rowen-made fixed survival blade and turned it into a brutal use locking folder. He demanded the best, American made Ti aerospace grade titanium alloy and Olive Drab G10 to create an integral, no scale frame. Then he added a D2 Tool Steel blade, mil spec coated it and had it machined in Northern Italy the same place they make Ferraris, Lamborghinis and Ducatis.

He added a hex driver, low profile clip and glass breaker. The knife also features the same bottle opener notch premiered on the fixed blade which, on a folder, doubles as a "quick open" feature. It continues to make experienced knife users rethink what they can get in a hand assembled, user designed, no excuses survival tool.

But there is another group that want the same no expense spared approach to the under 3" inch blade. Law enforcement, military and first responders wanted less blade, more knife. And they still wanted the glass breaker, rapid deployment, non lethal ergonomic grip and quality. So the Hostile Environment At Hand Tool (HEAT) was born.

The DPx Gear HEAT/F is as much blade as you need, in a beefy, pocket friendly package. What’s different? We dropped the blade size but not the blade thickness leaving the business end of a sword grind that snaps quickly into action. We eliminated the hex drive slot and the aluminum back spacer but kept that confident, beefy feel that HEST/F folder owners love.

Finally we backed it with the same no nonsense, no questions asked warranty that Robert Young Pelton demands.

Specifications:

Blade is milspec phosphate coated D2 tool steel
    Stonewashed 6Al4V grade 5 titanium alloy frame lock
    American-made olive drab G10 handle scale
    Stonewashed stainless steel "combat" syle clip
    Glass breaker
    Lanyard hole
    Thumb grip/bottle opener

Weight: 4.05oz
    Type: Folding
    Steel Type: German D2
    Blade Length: 2.26"
    Blade Thickness: 0.18"
    Handle Color: Olive Drab
    Handle Materia:l G10
    Overall Length: 6.33"
    Rockwell Hardness: 61

Downloads
    Uploads
    great, another "want" from dpx..
    IG: Sexual_Meatball

Downloads
    Uploads
    That is a very nice folder
    Just a regular guy.

Downloads
    Uploads
    You and Stick need to quit it, I need more optics not a knife.
    DEUTERONOMY 6:5
    flickr
    facebook
    The gift of mental power comes from God, Divine Being, and if we concentrate our minds on that truth, we become in tune with this great power - Nikola Telsa

Downloads
    Uploads
    I'm very interested in one of these, but can't find a place nearby where I can play with it to make sure it'll fit my hand, etc.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Calengor View Post
    I'm very interested in one of these, but can't find a place nearby where I can play with it to make sure it'll fit my hand, etc.
    I think that's the problem with mid-higher end knives. Hard to try them out at the store as you won't find anyone locally for the most part that will carry them. I have 3 DPx blades, and I have been satisfied with every since one. Although this one, I don't own.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Stick had a quick write up and a pic he posted to his FB:

With it having a 2 1/4" blade, this little guy should be able to go legally almost anywhere.

A lot of cities have a 3" blade law, but perhaps more importantly is that this blade doesn't look threatening. Even little Suzie home maker isn't going to feel threatened by this unless you have it in your teeth and are singing in the library like a Barbary pirate.

In practicality, this blade handles most tasks (so far) in the same manner as its larger siblings, which is high praise indeed as I use a DPx HEST F as my daily carry piece. While there are going to be times where you need a large blade, there are going to be times where you need matches or a gun. Plan accordingly for your expected needs, especially because there is no one object which serves every purpose.

The HEAT wears OD Green G10 on one side, and titanium on the other. The G10 is well textured, and feels like the HEST/F G10. I've handled this texture while it is bloody, wet, and sweaty, and it performs well. The titanium locker side is smooth and of a matte finish. It allows for a nice slide out of your pocket, unlike many folders which texture both sides and create havoc on both your draw and pants pocket.

The clip is stainless steel, and is also a matte color. Tension on the clip is perfect, and I have no concerns about losing this from falling out of a pocket, even if the person wearing it is highly active. The position of the clip keeps the knife riding low inside your pocket. The DPx Gear clips have shown themselves to be very durable.

On the end of the clip, where it meets up with the body is a glass breaker point. I understand that most people won't be looking to break glass, but it also works nice for pressure points on the back on someones hand, scribing metal or punching holes in the side of your buddies beer can.

Looking onto the blade, I find a steel that I love. D2. While people can argue about what steel is in vogue this month, there is no arguing that D2 is a hard use, hard wearing steel which gives outstanding wear and abrasion resistance. For people who haven't thought about it, there is MUCH more to a blade than how sharp you can get it. How sharp the blade stays, whether the edge rolls and what angle the blade can take are only a few of the considerations. How quickly the blade rusts or stains are a few more concerns that come up at often the worst times if we simply bought the cheapest blade at the counter.

Blade lockup is tight, and there is no play or wobble. Releasing the blade lock is as simple as it should be. There is no sticking, nor it is loose or feeling like it may collapse under hard use.

Rotation of the blade while opening is smooth and even, the only change in feel is as the blade is about to lock open (gets easier for the last tiny part). Adjustments can be made if you want the blade tighter or looser, but as mine came from the factory, this is well adjusted. Opening it with your thumb is very doable, and the notch in the blade also works to "auto open" if you are so inclined. The blade notch also works as a bottle opener, which is a nice touch, especially if you travel.

Now we hit the price part. I know prices tend to get some people worked up. The end answer is that good blades are available all over, and you can get some priced pretty cheap. This blade isn't a "good" blade, it rises about that marker and lands solidly in the great blade category. Of course, this is all going to be a matter of what YOUR own needs are. If you need a cheap blade, this may not fit your bill, because retail appears to be $150 (on Amazon and at Knifecenter.com). MSRP is listed for the D2 model at $187, and there are more expensive models in case you need to get fancy.

To sum it up, the small blade and larger handle, combined with the D2 blade steel and overall quality make this a knife worth checking out if you are in the market for such a beast. Unless you don't like the size, I don't see how this blade could be a disappointment.