Thread: M1A Scope.

Downloads
    Uploads

M1A Scope.

Hello all.

I recently came into possession of a Springfield M1A.

I have the desire to turn this into a long range (for me) platform.
    I realize that this system is not a sub-MOA 1000m rifle and that's not really what I'm looking for. I want it to be reliably able to hit steel at 800m. I think this is well w/in the capacity of this weapon and my skill.

I am looking at the new Nightforce SHV 4-14x56.

I have always been of the mindset "but once cry once."

I'm looking for any recommendations as to a better optic, experience w/NF, or anything else you think may be of use to someone getting into mid range shooting.

Thanks for the help.

JPLMEDIC

Downloads
    Uploads
    I own a couple of Nightforce optics, but for the money, if target shooting is what you're mainly going to do, I also like Vortex Optics. They have a newer 2.5-10x32 that may fit the bill for you.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Don't know if you saw it but http://precisionrifleblog.com/ is doing a very in-depth writeup of optics right now. Worth reading if you are in the market for a new scope.

The thing I really wish I thought about more before I bought an expensive optic was the reticle and turrents. I bought what I was familiar with from training but there are many alternatives out there. Reticles will give you slightly different ways to calculate distance (very generally speaking). Some might be easier for you to read while others may be harder. Manufacturer's turrets feel different and have different features. If I could do things differently, I would have gone with a different reticle/ turret combo.

If you truly want to buy only once, I would suggest you look into reticles and turrets, how they can be employed and if you plan to use the features that different manufacturers offer.

I think that optics from reutable manufacturers, NF, Leupold, Vortex, Bushnell, US, Schmidt, etc. will do everything you will need them to do for recreational use. The performance you get from very high end scopes will probably only be seen when you are shooting at extreme ranges, conditions or in competition.

Forgot to mention: I would avoid anything with a balistically calibrated reticle unless you plan on sticking with one specific round, weapon system and ony plan on shooting in the same general geographic location.

Downloads
    Uploads
    The Precison blog had some great info, thank you for the link.

UW, you were the first of 3 respected shooters that told me to ditch the NF idea for a Vortex.

I ended up going with a Vortex Viper PST 4-16x50 First Focal Plane. Everything I have read says that this optic is going to be pretty unbeatable, especially for 899.

I looked at the 2.5-10x but wanted just a bit more reach in case this goes on a 300WM some day.

Again thanks for the help, I will update as soon as I get it all set up.

JPLM

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by JPLMedic View Post
    The Precison blog had some great info, thank you for the link.

UW, you were the first of 3 respected shooters that told me to ditch the NF idea for a Vortex.

I ended up going with a Vortex Viper PST 4-16x50 First Focal Plane. Everything I have read says that this optic is going to be pretty unbeatable, especially for 899.

I looked at the 2.5-10x but wanted just a bit more reach in case this goes on a 300WM some day.

Again thanks for the help, I will update as soon as I get it all set up.

JPLM
    That's a great optic. I think you'll be happy with it as I have the 6-24 version.

Obviously, I have nothing against NF. They make absolutely great optics, but I figured this wasn't exactly your SHTF rig, or first choice in defensive carbine, thus my thoughts of going with a "cheaper" optic.

Can't wait to see the setup!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Nice choice on the scope, just recently traded into my first vortex, and really like it, My father has a 6x24 i believe and it is great also...

M1A is on my bucket list.....

We will need pics of the setup once done..

Downloads
    Uploads
    I just came here to see the M1A pics. Also on my bucket list.