Downloads
    Uploads

Extra Power Hammer Spring ??

My 5.45 lower is defecting to 5.56. My LGS gave me an extra power (red) spring for those stubborn commie primers. Any problems leaving it in place? Besides just being lazy, I thought I might designate one 16" Colt for cheap imported ammo if some use the same primers. If it would cause problems with any mil-spec ammo I will swap it out of course.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Invest in another firing pin. Only thing I can think of. Who is your LGS in the twin cities? You go through Bills, Atomic tac, Element?
    It's difficult to soar with eagles, when you work with turkeys...

Downloads
    Uploads
    I'm in E. Bloomington just a few minutes from Atomic. I bagged up the S&W BCG so not using firing pin. Could just bag the red spring too for future 5.45 use. But I was hoping it might be helpful with cheapo ammo.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Another thing you might try is a Wilson Combat or CMC trigger unit. I've run these for almost 2 years now without a hiccup. I'm trying the CMC flat trigger now. The only folks I've met that crap on them is folks that are either luddites, or have never tried them. Much easier than trying different springs, etc. Even the most ardent luddite that I know, have come to like them, vs. experimenting with this trigger and that spring, etc...

On the other hand, if you do like to stick with the multi-piece trigger and springs, I've done that so I can't knock you for that. I just find the "unit" triggers" much easier and reliable.

FT
    NRA Life Member
    Deplorables Life Member
    Bible and Gun Clinger
    Filthy Stinking Wal Mart Shopper

Downloads
    Uploads
    Lots of great trigger choices out there. If I were a young stud competing I would be trying them all. But for casual range use and defense I stick with standard mil for consistency. ALG QMS replacing the too gritty ones. The red spring in question is my only deviation and that only for the hard com-bloc primers. I don't yet know if cheap foreign 5.56 uses the same primers or not.

Downloads
    Uploads
    FWIW, I've never had a problem with surplus 5.45 and either LMT (from G&R's LPK) springs or a SSA. Both have gone bang every time. Given that, I'd guess you're fine on the import 5.56 ammo with your already installed spring.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks. It will have to cycle a couple hundred rounds before I would trust the lower for defense anyway. Just good practice for any possibly significant unfamiliar change.