Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by WHSmithIV View Post
    Right, but they aren't free float hand guards. They are drop in hand guards and all of them that I know of use the delta ring. FAB Defense makes a nice one.
    Quote Originally Posted by UWone77 View Post
    If you're talking about the Centurion Rails, they are free float.
    Exactly the point I've been trying to get across...

That's what I've heard as well. You could probably find a used one on the secondary market at a reduced price. I have one FSB C4 Rail, and it's been pretty typical Centurion Arms quality. Perfect spot for a Surefire X300 at the 12 o'clock position.
    That's what I was afraid of when I started this thread. I wonder if this one isn't the last of a breed. Maybe DD still makes an Omega too?
    http://www.midwestindustriesinc.com/...ategory_ID=422
    WWW.TACTICALYELLOWVISOR.NET

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post

That's what I was afraid of when I started this thread. I wonder if this one isn't the last of a breed. Maybe DD still makes an Omega too?
    http://www.midwestindustriesinc.com/...ategory_ID=422
    Looks like just the Omega X, which would still require a different barrel nut.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Never dealt with this place but they claim to have 1 Centurion Arms C4 FSP Rail System in-stock.

http://oneshottactical.com/products/...iant=569432453
    DEUTERONOMY 6:5
    flickr
    facebook
    The gift of mental power comes from God, Divine Being, and if we concentrate our minds on that truth, we become in tune with this great power - Nikola Telsa

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by GOST View Post
    Never dealt with this place but they claim to have 1 Centurion Arms C4 FSP Rail System in-stock.

http://oneshottactical.com/products/...iant=569432453
    Damn... 400 hundo. Don't think I've paid that much for a rail since the first DD's hit the market.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I'd go with this before I dropped $400 on that Centurion one. Seems like a lot of mark up on that.

http://www.primaryarms.com/Daniel_De...-08030-006.htm

Downloads
    Uploads
    I think he didn't want to remove the FSB.

For gatordev, I'd just go with the 7" C4, unless you need the real estate. If that's the case like I mentioned before, I'd go look for a used C4 cutout... you know there are out there will little to no use on them.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Gotcha. I didn't realize he didn't want to remove it at all. I though he was just wanting to retain it.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I have had several of these type of rails; DD Lite, Omega, RIS II, Centurion Arms, and the Troy Charlie. To be honest I liked the Troy the best. It locks in solid and takes no mods at all. Great rail.
    "I have never heard anyone say after a firefight that I wish that I had not taken so much ammo.", ME

"Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas !", General Sam Houston

Downloads
    Uploads
    You might want to take a look at this one from Yankee Hill Machine.

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/product/7-YHM5000

Keep in mind that if any free floating handguard needs a different barrel nut you'll definitely have to remove the A2 front sight to install it. Also, you won't be getting that delta ring assembly or endcap off without cutting them off if you don't remove the sight. The sight isn't hard to remove. There are two pins to drive out usually is all.

Also, Fortis has a REV rail with the cutout. Don't know what barrel nut it uses though. I'll check in Gunstruction.

update: I checked. With the Fortis rail you don't need to change the barrel nut. It uses a standard barrel nut.
    Here's a link to it: http://fortismfg.com/ar15-fortis-REV...tem-mid-cutout
    Not sure if you'd have to take the FSB off.

The FAB Defense NFR-EX is drop in. Here's a link to it:
    http://www.themakogroup.com/rails-ra...se-nfr-ex.html
    Last edited by WHSmithIV; 13 April 2015 at 12:57.
    Freedom is NEVER Free. We have to work to protect it and even be willing to die to protect it.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Damn... 400 hundo. Don't think I've paid that much for a rail since the first DD's hit the market.
    I think this is probably the issue, cost:benefits. Or, cost:cost, as it relates to people being more willing to simply put in the work of chopping/removing parts than paying the higher price for the parts.
    WWW.TACTICALYELLOWVISOR.NET

Downloads
    Uploads
    When those rails were around they were not that much. I remember them being $65-75 less than the DD ones.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Aim surplus had DD carbine cutouts for $129 last week. I thought about it but have no use for one.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by SINNER View Post
    I'd go with this before I dropped $400 on that Centurion one. Seems like a lot of mark up on that.

http://www.primaryarms.com/Daniel_De...-08030-006.htm
    That's a great price for the DD RIS II in this market. The other ones I've seen are $400. I think that guy that's charging $400 for the CA one is just trying to cash in on the scarcity as well as the RIS II look. I'm tempted to grab that RIS II from PA just because it might be worth it...then again, I'd have to pay for the gun-smithing. I don't rally have the tools to remove and reinstall a FSP.

I think he didn't want to remove the FSB.

For gatordev, I'd just go with the 7" C4, unless you need the real estate. If that's the case like I mentioned before, I'd go look for a used C4 cutout... you know there are out there will little to no use on them.
    No removal was the initial plan, but see below. I'm tempted to just grab a C4 7" to have it on hand for some time in the future when they go away.

Quote Originally Posted by WHSmithIV View Post
    You might want to take a look at this one from Yankee Hill Machine.

Keep in mind that if any free floating handguard needs a different barrel nut you'll definitely have to remove the A2 front sight to install it. Also, you won't be getting that delta ring assembly or endcap off without cutting them off if you don't remove the sight. The sight isn't hard to remove. There are two pins to drive out usually is all.
    Rob's original premise was a drop in, FF, quad picatinny rail. That's what I was trying to follow up on, and there's not a lot of options. Also, as mentioned before, there are other FF rails out there that don't require you to remove stuff (hence drop in). I have an Omega that works like this, I'm just not a fan of how it feels, even though it's a super-solid rail.

Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    I think this is probably the issue, cost:benefits. Or, cost:cost, as it relates to people being more willing to simply put in the work of chopping/removing parts than paying the higher price for the parts.
    Bingo. $400 quickly exceeds the "cost" of not gun-smithing. I'd rather just cut something at that point.

Quote Originally Posted by SINNER View Post
    When those rails were around they were not that much. I remember them being $65-75 less than the DD ones.
    RIS II FDEs are unicorns now and demand a premium. You can still find black RIS IIs and RIS II FSPs, but they're marked up. For the time being, DD has said they aren't selling RIS II rails by themselves due to .gov contracts needing to be met.

Quote Originally Posted by Ride4frnt View Post
    Aim surplus had DD carbine cutouts for $129 last week. I thought about it but have no use for one.
    Keep in mind that there are DD Lite rails that look very similar to RIS II rails, so that may have been what was at Aim.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Of course, there's one more option that only requires me to grab a new gas block and cut an existing barrel down (total about $100)...

I happen to have a DD MK18 RIS II stashed and I could just change my M4 Block 2 into a CQBR Block 2 and then change my 6921 into a M4 Block 2 with the rail I already have. I gain a little weight, but then I'd have two sexy beasts. I just hate to give up my plain jane M4, as I never really had one before, but I guess function over form usually wins the day with me.

Decisions...

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by gatordev View Post
    Of course, there's one more option that only requires me to grab a new gas block and cut an existing barrel down (total about $100)...

I happen to have a DD MK18 RIS II stashed and I could just change my M4 Block 2 into a CQBR Block 2 and then change my 6921 into a M4 Block 2 with the rail I already have. I gain a little weight, but then I'd have two sexy beasts. I just hate to give up my plain jane M4, as I never really had one before, but I guess function over form usually wins the day with me.

Decisions...
    First world problems my friend!