Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads

New Cal. New Build

Guys I give you the .277 Wolverine. This is a new round formed from 5.56 brass necked up to .277/6.8 and trimmed to 1.535 developed by Mad Dog Weapon Systems (MDWS) who is offering barrels and custom Hornady dies. I have been following it's development on the 68Forums for a while now and decided to put a 10.5'' barrel on order and obviously a set of the Hornady dies. The 16'' barrels are already in the hands of some customers and the performance is looking great. I'll post links to info and user findings for anyone that is interested until I can get my barrel and post my own testing. This will be my first cat and first AR pistol build, so far it's been a blast. More to follow over the next few weeks.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Last edited by GaSwamper; 4 August 2014 at 18:22. Reason: Added link

Downloads
    Uploads
    Who is producing barrels?

Downloads
    Uploads
    Specs wise this .277 wolverine looks very close to the 6.8 numbers..

Whats the benefit here of a one off barrel? Just curious..

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by UWone77 View Post
    Who is producing barrels?
    Barrels are being supplied by ARPerfomance for the 16" and Mcgowen Precision is supplying a 8.2", 10.5", and 18" option as well right now.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by mustangfreek View Post
    Specs wise this .277 wolverine looks very close to the 6.8 numbers..

Whats the benefit here of a one off barrel? Just curious..
    For me the advantage was I was already planning a pistol build and collecting parts for a 5.56 or .300 and I already reload for 6.8 spc. I like the fact that i can get that little bit more bullet weight and energy down range without sacrificing quit as much vel. as I would with the .300. I've always wanted to play around with a wildcat and being this was uncharted territory it seemed a fun project. For anyone else it's really to each his own I guess but I do think my particular setup will make a helluva little fast brush gun for stalking deer and pigs. Plus it just makes for a sexy looking little round I think.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Meet the little family. A little comparison for ya. The empty caseings from left to right 5.56, .277 WLV, 6.8 spc
    The loaded rounds from left to right 120gr. SST 6.8, 90gr. Gold Dot .277 WLV, 53gr. V-Max 5.56

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by GaSwamper View Post
    For me the advantage was I was already planning a pistol build and collecting parts for a 5.56 or .300 and I already reload for 6.8 spc. I like the fact that i can get that little bit more bullet weight and energy down range without sacrificing quit as much vel. as I would with the .300. I've always wanted to play around with a wildcat and being this was uncharted territory it seemed a fun project. For anyone else it's really to each his own I guess but I do think my particular setup will make a helluva little fast brush gun for stalking deer and pigs. Plus it just makes for a sexy looking little round I think.

Oh its all good, hope i didnt come off abrasive, was just honestly curious..

I have looked up a little on this cartridge thru those links, looks like a cool wildcat..You will have to let us know how it goes, and ballistic/chrono numbers...

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by mustangfreek View Post
    Oh its all good, hope i didnt come off abrasive, was just honestly curious..

I have looked up a little on this cartridge thru those links, looks like a cool wildcat..You will have to let us know how it goes, and ballistic/chrono numbers...
    You didn't come off abrasive at all mustang. Sorry if I did with my response, didn't mean to. This truth is though until I can get my hands on it and get my own testing going it really is just a novelty right now, however if I can reproduce what others have found with it which is close to my 6.8 with the recoil of a hot 5.56 then I think it will be a jam up little round especially for the wife. I really want to eventually do some suppressed testing to see if it can come close to the BLK suppressed performance, that could go either way I think.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Well I've already been piecing this thing together for a min. so not a whole lotta pics of little parts to ration out but here's the complete lower. Also unlike the 6.8 I can utilize P-mags with this.

Area53 lower
    KAK pistol tube
    Hogue beavertail
    CMC 3.5 drop in trigger
    Battle Arms takedown pins
    SIG SB15 pistol brace

Downloads
    Uploads
    Hadn't seen an Area53 lower before. I like it.
    -One Nation, Under God

-"The bad news is time flies. The good news is you're the pilot." ~ Michael Althsuler

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Aragorn View Post
    Hadn't seen an Area53 lower before. I like it.
    I just found them myself this year, this was the first one I bought and after handling it my dad also bought one. The finish and machining are great and I really like the style and feel. The only drawback I have found if you can call it that is the tolerances are on the tight side which just makes for really good and tight fit to any of my uppers but out of 3 tried I did have to polish the takedown pins on one due to the rear pin was just uber tight.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I have decided my Viper PST 1-4 is going to top my new toy.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Ok still waiting on barrel which has been moved to any day now so until then a quick preview of the upper and rundown.

Wilson Combat billet receiver
    MDWS NiB BCG 5.56
    Black River Tactical gas block
    Black River Tactical BRT fluted lineir comp
    BCM gunfighter med. latch
    Troy 9" Alpha rail

Downloads
    Uploads
    That's a sweet little upper. Can't wait to see how she looks and shoots once completed.