Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads

What are you reading?

I've recently made the executive decision that I need to start reading more and stop wasting away watching pointless television.

Anyone else on here enjoy a good book? Maybe some of you are looking for what to read next.

I'm just looking for some recommendations as far as what you guys have read and enjoyed.

Recently I've read "Shop Class as Soulcraft." The book deals with the challenges and pleasures of working with ones hands as a tool. This applies to me as that's the kind of person I am.

Some of you (or all) may have read the one I'm currently working on, "Glock: The Rise of Americas Gun." This is the story of how the Glock pistol came to be out of a little workshop in Austria and it's rise to prominence today. The author can be contradictory at times, but overall I'm enjoying it as a fan of the pistol and firearms in general.

If you guys like military non-fiction, I suggest "Climb to Conquer." This is the true story of the implementation of the 10th Mountain Division during WWII, and how we very well could've lost the war without the help of these troops. This one was right up my alley because I am a skier as well.

What have you guys got?

Downloads
    Uploads
    Half a King. Pretty mild for me but I really like Joe Abercrombie who usually writes pretty dark grim. If you like working with your hands and like making things try your hand at wood turning sometime.

Downloads
    Uploads
    For fiction i highly recommend Stephen Hunter's Swagger books. Must be read in order. My all-time favorite is the Aubrey/Maturin series by Patrick O'Brian. Napoleonic era sailing books. I had zero interest in these types of novels before O'Brian. Far above Forester and everyone else. Really gives a feel for wind powered naval tactics and the finer points of sailing. You will become invested in the two main characters.

In Non-fiction I like biographies best. The stories of Carlos Hathcock, Viet Nam sniper and uber WW2 Marine Chesty Puller are incredible.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Memoirs of a Geisha
    DEUTERONOMY 6:5
    flickr
    facebook
    The gift of mental power comes from God, Divine Being, and if we concentrate our minds on that truth, we become in tune with this great power - Nikola Telsa

Downloads
    Uploads

What are you reading?

Quote Originally Posted by Uffdaphil View Post
    For fiction i highly recommend Stephen Hunter's Swagger books. Must be read in order. My all-time favorite is the Aubrey/Maturin series by Patrick O'Brian. Napoleonic era sailing books. I had zero interest in these types of novels before O'Brian. Far above Forester and everyone else. Really gives a feel for wind powered naval tactics and the finer points of sailing. You will become invested in the two main characters.

In Non-fiction I like biographies best. The stories of Carlos Hathcock, Viet Nam sniper and uber WW2 Marine Chesty Puller are incredible.
    Funny story, unrelated to books, I'm very good friends with Carlos Hathcock III, the snipers son.

I joined a fishing forum a few years ago, and had known of Carlos Hathcock beforehand. The moderator of the Potomac River board on the forum goes by username Carlos H and his avatar features the USMC insignia. Never thought anything of it, fished with him numerous times, been to his house, seen his vehicle. One day it hit me the license plate on his truck says "SNIPER". That was my holy shit moment. Come to find out, yes he is the son of THE Carlos Hathcock. Since then we've become even closer (very tight knit community on that forum as we have numerous gatherings a year, mostly at his house actually) have heard many awesome stories and seen some even more awesome guns (unfired M25 sniper rifles, some of his fathers personal collection, etc). Some of his dads things have been donated to the Marine Corps museum here at Quantico, but most of that stuff is still in the family. It's awesome to see and hear about.

What's bad is that Carlos III and his wife and mother still have to issue cease and desist orders regularly to people impersonating his father, via Facebook or otherwise.

Actually just got a text from Carlos about 20 mins ago.
    Last edited by Ride4frnt; 5 August 2014 at 17:27.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I'm about halfway through Unbroken by Laura Hillenbrand... Author of Seabiscuit.

Unbroken: A World War II Story of Survival, Resilience, and Redemption

I have been really busy lately so I have kind of fallen off but I enjoy it so far. Non-fiction, rumored to soon be a movie. Check it out if you're into that type of stuff. I have also purchased recently a 3 book set of Raylan Givens (Justified on TV) Elmore Leonard books. That guy has quite a track record, really a dialogue master.Might check him out too.

Downloads
    Uploads

What are you reading?

Quote Originally Posted by XACT_ABORT View Post
    I'm about halfway through Unbroken by Laura Hillenbrand... Author of Seabiscuit.

Unbroken: A World War II Story of Survival, Resilience, and Redemption

I have been really busy lately so I have kind of fallen off but I enjoy it so far. Non-fiction, rumored to soon be a movie. Check it out if you're into that type of stuff. I have also purchased recently a 3 book set of Raylan Givens (Justified on TV) Elmore Leonard books. That guy has quite a track record, really a dialogue master.Might check him out too.
    I'll have to check the justified books. I have the first few Walt Longmire books, which are sort of along the same line.

Also by Elmore Leonard, "Rum Punch" which is the basis for one of my favorite movies, Jackie Brown. And "Get Shorty".

Downloads
    Uploads
    Earnest Hemmingway - Short Story's. I've read these all before, over the years, but I got a leather bound copy as a gift from my daughter, and enjoy them just the same. Probably my all time favorite author.

FT
    NRA Life Member
    Basket full of Deplorables Life Member

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by FortTom View Post
    Earnest Hemmingway - Short Story's. I've read these all before, over the years, but I got a leather bound copy as a gift from my daughter, and enjoy them just the same. Probably my all time favorite author.

FT
    FT, I thought you and I would be the types of guys that enjoyed flip up/pop up books? I guess I had you pegged wrong.

Downloads
    Uploads
    The last book I finished was Mary Coin by Marisa Silver, which was a fairly quick and compelling read. I also recently loved the latest Chuck Klosterman treatise, I Wear the Black Hat.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by UWone77 View Post
    FT, I thought you and I would be the types of guys that enjoyed flip up/pop up books? I guess I had you pegged wrong.
    Don't know how you got by me with this one, so I'll just respond:

Die Pig, Die.......
    NRA Life Member
    Basket full of Deplorables Life Member

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by FortTom View Post
    Don't know how you got by me with this one, so I'll just respond:

Die Pig, Die.......
    So...FT has been reading helter skelter. Speaking of, I recently read "Restless Souls" which is the Sharon Tate family's side of the Manson murders. Pretty interesting to hear the story from both perspectives.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Do books on SQL count?

Downloads
    Uploads
    Right now I'm about to finish No Easy Day, and just got done reading Lone Survivor, and American Sniper. Great books next Ill probably read American Gun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Downloads
    Uploads
    Personally Ride4frnt - I love books. I'm out of new ones though and there's nowhere to buy any here int he mountains. I hit the local library as the weather gets colder then take time in the evenings to read.

We don't even own a TV here - not much point either - there is no signal to an antenna here in the valley. I research a lot using the internet too. Which reminds me - after dinner I have to look up that actual water rights laws in Idaho for someone since I know where to find them on-line.

I'm quite sure I spend more time reading than I do on the computer, driving and shooting together. I certainly do as much shooting as I can too. I hate to be out of practice.