Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads
    After skimming VDM's review above, something else I don't like about this optic (and many others like it) is the exposed turrets. I'm not sure what makes exposed turrets on a 4x optic "tactical" but Leupold, especially but among others, seems to think that this is what makes the term apply. I hated them on mine. Yes, you zero the optic, then set the knobs to zero, etc. but that's just a pain in the butt. The turrets should be capped. you can get an optic that's pretty close to this from Leupold without the "tactical" moniker, but then you also get a 1.5x instead of a 1.25x, if that matters.

Based on my time with the VX-R Patrol as well as other optics owned by other shooters, if I venture down the 1.x-Y path again I'll pony up for the VX-6 Multigun. I think it has all the things I liked about the Patrol and fixed some of the issues (like the exposed turrets).
    WWW.TACTICALYELLOWVISOR.NET

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    After skimming VDM's review above, something else I don't like about this optic (and many others like it) is the exposed turrets. I'm not sure what makes exposed turrets on a 4x optic "tactical" but Leupold, especially but among others, seems to think that this is what makes the term apply. I hated them on mine. Yes, you zero the optic, then set the knobs to zero, etc. but that's just a pain in the butt. The turrets should be capped. you can get an optic that's pretty close to this from Leupold without the "tactical" moniker, but then you also get a 1.5x instead of a 1.25x, if that matters.

Based on my time with the VX-R Patrol as well as other optics owned by other shooters, if I venture down the 1.x-Y path again I'll pony up for the VX-6 Multigun. I think it has all the things I liked about the Patrol and fixed some of the issues (like the exposed turrets).
    The VX-6 will probably be my next optic purchase when I get rid of the 1-8x USO I have.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by voodoo_man View Post
    The VX-6 will probably be my next optic purchase when I get rid of the 1-8x USO I have.
    What's your thoughts on the USO 1-8x? Too much magnification for your AO?

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Deckard View Post
    What's your thoughts on the USO 1-8x? Too much magnification for your AO?
    Way too much.

Even if I put it on a 762 gun it'll be too much for what I use it for.

It is a great optic though, very clear, very easy to use, magnification is amazing. Definitely understand why it costs as much as it does.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Sorry for all the confusion.

Now looking at what Rob just asked the furthest I'll be shooting regularly is about 300 yards, I just wanted to have the ability to shoot up to that range quickly and easily.
    I don't plan on shooting anything alive from that range just to be able to hit a steel target.
    I don't need tight groups out to 500 yards just the ability to hit the target.
    I understand the 1-4x/1-6x optics are okay at mid and close range targets but it won't beat an RDS at close range or a long range optic at distance shooting.
    The course will involve shooting from 100 yards up to 500 yards but I need to find out a bit more.
    Tom, it sounds like I would be better off with a 1-6x. You're not being condescending at all. I never shot out that far, 300 yards is the furthest I've seen. Again I'm not planning on hunting anything out that far. I should have clarified that in the opening post.

I really appreciate all the replys. Thanks.
    Another thing to consider (and may be answered when you find out more info) is how you'll be shooting at those distances. If I'm shooting something other than prone, I'm usually backing the optic off to 4-6x for steel targets in the 3-400 yard range. Especially if I'm shooting off a barricade. Anything more and it's just too wobbly and you start chasing the reticule. I find my ACOG to be on the edge of useable for 200 yards if I'm shooting unsupported.

A class is a great place to see what you can do with surprisingly minimal magnification (for a given range). Folks want to buy a 25x+ scope to hit something at 1000 yards, but it really isn't necessary. My NF 3.5-15 (or whatever it is) worked just fine and I could see impacts (with .308, anyway).

After skimming VDM's review above, something else I don't like about this optic (and many others like it) is the exposed turrets. I'm not sure what makes exposed turrets on a 4x optic "tactical" but Leupold, especially but among others, seems to think that this is what makes the term apply. I hated them on mine. Yes, you zero the optic, then set the knobs to zero, etc. but that's just a pain in the butt. The turrets should be capped.
    I'd argue it depends on the use. For the range plinker, yeah, you're probably right. For someone using a 1-4 scope in a truly tactical environment (and I mean in bad guy land, not in dress up weekend competitions), it can be a help because you can adjust for a given range.

Of course, how many people are buying them for this purpose? I'd guess a very small percentage of the total sales.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by gatordev View Post
    I'd argue it depends on the use. For the range plinker, yeah, you're probably right. For someone using a 1-4 scope in a truly tactical environment (and I mean in bad guy land, not in dress up weekend competitions), it can be a help because you can adjust for a given range.

Of course, how many people are buying them for this purpose? I'd guess a very small percentage of the total sales.
    and I strongly doubt that anyone that's fiddling knobs for ninja purposes is doing so with a 4x, and frankly even a 6x, optic.

Downloads
    Uploads
    and I strongly doubt that anyone that's fiddling knobs for ninja purposes is doing so with a 4x, and frankly even a 6x, optic.
    Maybe. But then you kind of wonder why they even have them, and they're obviously out there in the wild.

One of the gunners on my third deployment was running a Short Dot on his M107. Most guys would run an Eotech or an Aimpoint, but he apparently liked the Short Dot. I'm not sure if he played with the turrets, but it would have been very easy for him to range and make an adjustment if he needed to.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks for bringing that up gator,

All of the shooting will be done unsupported. Prone, sitting, and standing with a time limit. You also have to start in a standing position and transition to a sitting or prone position and engage multiple targets. This is all done at different distances (100-400yrds).
    Last edited by Deckard; 13 August 2014 at 17:32.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks for bringing that up gator,

All of the shooting will be done unsupported. Prone, sitting, and standing with a time limit. You also have to start in a standing position and transition to a sitting or prone position and engage multiple targets. This is all done at different distances.
    This sounds fun are the distances known distances?
    Just a regular guy.

Downloads
    Uploads

Just noticed they do make a VX-R with capped turrets and a different reticle (and $100 cheaper). I'm starting to lean towards that or the VX-6.
    Does anyone have experience with Aero's Ultralight mount? I was thinking of picking one of these up instead of a LaRue or Bobro mount because I don't need a QD mount.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Just noticed they do make a VX-R with capped turrets and a different reticle (and $100 cheaper). I'm starting to lean towards that or the VX-6.
    Does anyone have experience with Aero's Ultralight mount? I was thinking of picking one of these up instead of a LaRue or Bobro mount because I don't need a QD mount.
    A friend has the VX-R "HOG" which is nice with the capped turrets, but it's a 1.5x vs the 1.25x of the "Patrol". It doesn't affect this friend as he uses it, surprise surprise, on hogs.

I want one of the Aero mounts for my eventual VX-6, however their lack of feedback on which length to get, and the recent thread here about some pretty craptastic customer service has me looking elsewhere.

I am disapoint in the limited number of options for lightweight non-throwlever optic mounts on the market.

Downloads
    Uploads
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...iflescope.html

Found this one. Great price, firedot, 1.25x, and capped turrets. I might pick up Nightforce's Ultralite rings instead (~3.1oz) of Aero's.

Downloads
    Uploads

Found this one. Great price, firedot, 1.25x, and capped turrets. I might pick up Nightforce's Ultralite rings instead (~3.1oz) of Aero's.
    Interesting. I didn't know that one existed. Looks like it has the smaller circle int he reticule vs. the Patrol, but that's probably immaterial.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Interesting. I didn't know that one existed. Looks like it has the smaller circle int he reticule vs. the Patrol, but that's probably immaterial.
    Didn't know about them either. Comes with different reticles.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I'd stick to the first one.

The Patrol has a similar reticule, but I believe the circle in the Patrol reticule is larger. note the image here vs. the one in your first link.