Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Personally, i've owned the SWFA 1-6x scope and in idea it was awesome. Interesting reticle, good variable, sturdy, etc. I was so disappointed i sold it after 2 range trips and went with a Vortex PST 1-4x which i'm much happier and accurate with. The SWFA i had (not sure if available in other trims) was in MRADs instead of MOA adjustments which by itself sucked. It was in .1 MRAD (Vs .2 MRADs for the PST) which is ~.34 MOA and not as good as a top notch 1/4 MOA scope but may suit your needs.

I've also had 1.25-4 and 1.5-5 Leupold VX scopes and that small magnification was just enough to make me think I had cataracts but not enough to be useful at any sort of range. Same was not the case in the IOR Valdada 1.1-8x I had and would HIGHLY recommend that if the budget allows. They're around $1k IIRC. They also have a true 1-10x scope for about $2500 if so inclined!

I have average vision and can use a red dot to 200yds on a 10x12 plate all day. I have a 2 MOA Aimpoint and to crisp up the dot when needed, i have my rear BUS up to co witness. Also could hit 4/4 shots with just Irons in the military out to 300yds on a person sized target so a 4x on 500yds should be adequate.

I did have a great time with a leupold VXII 2-7x scope on a 20inch AR awhile back. I preferred it over the 3-9x. Also can be had from Leupold at $300 or so which leaves $600 for more ammo!
    Comfort is a state of mind......

Downloads
    Uploads
    There's some good suggestions already discussed here. I was in a similar position several months back and ended up with a Vortex Optics Viper PST 1-4x24 TMCQ/MOA. However, my application was for a scoped patrol rifle class. I was specifically looking for a 1-4 optic that had low profile capped turrets. While there's ample points for and against exposed target type turrets, for my needs the protection the caps provide make sense. The patrol rifle can get bounced around, pushed into other gear or other objects and the turrets can easily get spun, causing your zero to disappear. I'm more likely to leave it with a 100 yard zero and if needed, use holdover for POI adjustment, as opposed to dialing in DOPE. Overall, I liked the optic, especially given the reasonable price-point. Good clarity and a simple reticle. The illumination was useless in direct daylight (common with illuminated scopes vs a true red dot), but the black reticlle stood out. Yet another option.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Maybe I missed it, but in the OP's post, I don't see how far they are going to shoot at this class he's going to. Does it have to be 1-XX? Why not 2.5-10? That new vortex one looks like it would fit the bill too.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I have had the opportunity to shoot most of the low power Leupold scopes over the past several years. I always seem to come back to the Mark 4 1.5-5 X20. If you can stretch it, as it is above your stated budget, I think it is worth it. I think the glass was significantly better than the VX model you are looking at. Especially as the light fades. http://www.opticsplanet.com/leupold-...fle-scope.html

With that said, if I was buying today, I would definitely consider the Votex Razor models. I don't really have any experience with them but I do see quite a few at the 3 gun matches.

AK

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by GOST View Post
    You may want to check these out also.

http://swfa.com/SWFA-SS-1-6x24-Tacti...pe-P53845.aspx
    This. I have the 1-4 and love it

Downloads
    Uploads
    Vortex Viper PST 1-4. I honestly do not think there is a better 1-4 under $800. It is better than my VX-R firedot and honestly hard to pick my IOR or Trijicon TR24 over it not even considering the VV PST is half the cost of either of those optics.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by SINNER View Post
    Vortex Viper PST 1-4. I honestly do not think there is a better 1-4 under $800. It is better than my VX-R firedot and honestly hard to pick my IOR or Trijicon TR24 over it not even considering the VV PST is half the cost of either of those optics.
    Second that choice!
    Facebook - Marty Callan

Downloads
    Uploads
    Made a preliminary review of the PA 1-6x I received today. Hopefully can shoot this weekend, depends on when my nephew gets here (he was due to be born Sunday)

http://www.weaponevolution.com/forum...ead.php?t=6436