Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Downloads
    Uploads
    How well did that Midwest Industries handguard fit with the piston running under it? It looks good too.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by WHSmithIV View Post
    How well did that Midwest Industries handguard fit with the piston running under it? It looks good too.
    I like the look, and it fits very well too. The drive rod has plenty of room inside the handguard. Just eyeballing it I'd say better than 1/16" on each side of the fat end of the rod where it goes over the gas plug. As an experiment, I dialed the gas down to the "suppressed" setting, and it vented enough that the bolt did not cycle. I like the idea of that for working with new shooters so it essentially becomes a single shot. Much safer!

Downloads
    Uploads
    These guys are serious about producing barrels!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Think I may be using the voodoo 11.5" on my pistol

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Ride4frnt View Post
    Think I may be using the voodoo 11.5" on my pistol
    I used the 11.5" medium contour for my build.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I have a friend who used the 11.5 for a build and he said he loves it, looking to take a look at it soon.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I looked at all the piston conversion kits I could find for one that would work with the front sight base on one of my AR-15s. It seems the most recommended kit is the Adams Arms but they require a replacement for the the gas block. That is good if you really need to adjust the gas but that does not concern me in this case. My rifle is a Model 1 Sales that uses a DPMS upper receiver and an ER Shaw carbine length barrel. I removed the gas block when I bought it and installed the FSB (pinned through slots in the barrel). Before deciding what to do about the conversion, I had installed a 7" free float handguard I like and wanted to keep. So, I found the Osprey OPS-416 which looked like it would work with either a gas block or the FSB. I bought it on the chance all would work together. In order to keep the one-piece free float handguard and install the op rod, I had to remove the FSB. That allowed installation of the bushing in the receiver and the op rod through the barrel nut. Then I put the handguard over the barrel and op rod. Next I installed the piston chamber into the FSB. After that I installed the FSB with the chamber/chamber rod on the barrel over the gas port on the barrel lining up the chamber to the op rod. Last, I aligned the FSB with the pins and pinned her up. My concern was the room for the piston chamber and op rod beneath the handguard. It was close but there was enough room for to operate freely. There is no documentation for a handguard other than the expanded one that comes with the kit; however, this build went well. I have had no problems with it at all after several hundred rounds with Wolf ammo, and other better brass cased stuff. The carrier tilt is not a problem so far and I have no reason there will be any. I have a couple of other ARs I want to convert. If anyone know of other kits that work with the A2 FSB I would appreciate a reply. I like the FSB and the A2 carry handle on my ARs. I put an NCStar scope mount on the carry handle for my scope. All is well with the Osprey but I would like to try something else. The gas piston is a clean running machine!

Downloads
    Uploads
    I had been planning on a Voodoo barrel because I wanted a lightweight melonite-coated 16 inch midlength. I was toying with the idea of a Sionics barrel at $100 less - decided to take the leap of faith...and they're out of stock, apparently. Voodoo it is, I guess.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Hmac View Post
    I had been planning on a Voodoo barrel because I wanted a lightweight melonite-coated 16 inch midlength. I was toying with the idea of a Sionics barrel at $100 less - decided to take the leap of faith...and they're out of stock, apparently. Voodoo it is, I guess.
    Which barrel did you get? A couple of projects back I bought a Voodoo Ultra Lite. I was concerned that the heat and harmonics of such a thin profile barrel would make it a CQC rifle, or accurate at 50 yards or less. I would have taken 3" at 100 yards as far as "combat" accuracy. Not that it matters, it also has a VG6 Epsilon brake screwed on. For it's maiden voyage I was really just going to break it in a bit, then break it down, clean and lube every thing, and go back to the range again. Actually, I was amazed at the accuracy of the barrel, using inexpensive Wolf Gold (uses brass cases and copper/lead FMJ 55 grain bullets). I actually built the whole rifle with "light weight" being the entire theme. Since, I've shot slightly over 1" groups at 100, 5 round groups, I think it was. I'm sure it's "combat accurate" at ranges of at least 200 yds.

If it matters, the barrel isn't dimpled, I had to mill my own flats for the set screws on a Bridgeport and that was a bit hairy. The table had problems, and a friend of mine worked together with me to get it perfect.

Anyway, although based on just one barrel, I am pretty impressed, and a heavier weight barrel should alleviate any concerns about accuracy or harmonics inherent with a very thin profile barrel. My barrel is a 16" mid, and I got a melonited gas tube from them also. Will be interested in hearing what profile barrel you bought and how it performs.

FT
    NRA Life Member
    Deplorables Life Member
    Bible and Gun Clinger
    Filthy Stinking Wal Mart Shopper

Downloads
    Uploads
    Pretty interested in the EVO ultra light 16 inch melonite. It will go under a KMR 13 rail I have sitting around. I just have to find a gunsmith that will pin a .625 gas block on a nitrided barrel. It doesn't appear that ADCO does. IIRC, Rainier used to for a few dollars extra, but I can't make heads or tails out of their new website relative to gunsmithing.
    Last edited by Hmac; 7 November 2014 at 17:31.