Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: SHTF AR Optics

Downloads
    Uploads

SHTF AR Optics

What kind of optics if any are you guys running on your rifles??

I'm looking at an eotech exps2 and aimpoints PRO. Maybe a h1/t1 if the t2 drives the prices down. I know the PRO is cheaper but with a larue mount, the price between it and the eotech are around the same price.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I have an EXPS, a T-1, and a PRO with the standard OEM mount. I don't particularly care for the T-1, like the EXPS and the PRO about equally. Given the price difference, I'd get the PRO every time. I find the OEM mount on the PRO to be just fine...have never felt the desire to replace it with something different.

My rifles play no role in my self defense planning - they're locked up in the gun cabinet. If you feel the need for yours to be a bedside gun then you might prefer the battery life of the PRO over the Eotech. You could leave the Aimpoint on all the time. One less thing to worry about if the shit does indeed hit the fan where you live.
    Last edited by Hmac; 20 August 2014 at 12:42.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks for the advice...... I just checked out the larue tactical sight and they offer the PRO with there lt129 mount for $416. I like the lt129 mount because it has a battery storage built into it.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by GR1M View Post
    Thanks for the advice...... I just checked out the larue tactical sight and they offer the PRO with there lt129 mount for $416. I like the lt129 mount because it has a battery storage built into it.
    Price wise, that's a heck of a deal, if you like the PRO. I've got one, and it's great, in my opinion. I don't like Eotech's, but that's totally subjective, and irrelevant. However, back to the price, I just ordered a La Rue mount last night for a H1, and the mount alone was something like $129 plus shipping. If I were in the market for another P.R.O., I'd jump all over that deal.

FT
    NRA Life Member
    Basket full of Deplorables Life Member

Downloads
    Uploads
    The OP specified SHTF optics, not ordinary self defense. I also currently keep the AR's in the safe and My CZ and snubbie out for anti-social encounters. But with a breakdown of public order everything is going to be at hand. I'll be bunking up with family. Someone will be standing watch 24/7. My optics would be what seems best for the shooters level of competence. Aimpoint RDs for anyone. Trijicon 1.5x, 3x or 1-4x outdoors for those with experience. The PA MD-06 is good enough for a certain panicky individual I would only allow a pellet gun.

I've picked up used Comp M2s for backup use for even less than a new Aimpoint Pro on sale.

I pray that a true SHTF scenario stays a paranoid fantasy for my lifetime. But the cost of having sufficient guns is minuscule compared to the regret of not having if needed.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Sad part is seeing things like Ferguson in the news makes me wonder even more about the "what if".
    It's difficult to soar with eagles, when you work with turkeys...

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by camomike View Post
    Sad part is seeing things like Ferguson in the news makes me wonder even more about the "what if".
    Lest we forget, Ferguson isn't a new concept.

1960s

1970s

1980s

1990s

2000s

2010s

Last edited by Hmac; 21 August 2014 at 09:48.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by GR1M View Post
    The Aimpoint Pro is $416, then you have to choose the mount, which for the mount you like is an additional $148. $564 total.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Gaspipeshooter View Post
    The Aimpoint Pro is $416, then you have to choose the mount, which for the mount you like is an additional $148. $564 total.
    What's wrong with the included Mount?

The QRP2 is a useable mount.

Downloads
    Uploads
    The Aimpoint vs EOTech debate has been beat to death. Either one will serve you well. If you haven't had any live-fire time with them, try to borrow before you buy. Decide if you like the 65 MOA circle with the 1 MOA dot that is the common EOTech pattern, or the 2 MOA single dot used in the Aimpoint PRO. Decide if the 4/8 hour automatic shutoff works for you or if you prefer to leave it on. The PRO is about the best deal going right now and watch for places that are discounting them. I paid $360 shipped for several not too long ago. Durability wise, I think the Aimpoint has an edge over the EOTech, but I've had to send both in for repair. I recently got a PRO back from Aimpoint and it took about a month to come back from Sweden. If you take the PRO route, don't spend extra money on a different mount until you test drive the included QRP2.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by UWone77 View Post
    What's wrong with the included Mount?

The QRP2 is a useable mount.
    I was only pointing out that the $416 GR1M referred to gets you the sight with the Aimpoint mount; that price does not include the LaRue LT129 mount. You have to choose that from a drop down menu and it is an additional $148.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Do we have a definition for this particular SHTFantasy, or is this just the usual paranoia and feel-good-purchase justification?
    WWW.TACTICALYELLOWVISOR.NET

Downloads
    Uploads
    What do you think a SHTF scenario is going to be for you? For me, I'm not planning for the End of the World, Mad Max type world. I just don't think that's realistic.

What I plan on doing is being prepared for a natural disaster or civil unrest that will last at a maximum a few months. During that kind of situation, of course I want to be prepared to defend myself, but running gun battles in the street or people shooting others on a regular basis isn't what I believe will happen on a regular basis.

If you're worried about some crazy long-term SHTF situtation, might want to brush up with your irons, actually just get a good pair of irons as we've seen over the years lots of broken sights.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by UWone77 View Post
    What do you think a SHTF scenario is going to be for you? For me, I'm not planning for the End of the World, Mad Max type world. I just don't think that's realistic.

What I plan on doing is being prepared for a natural disaster or civil unrest that will last at a maximum a few months. During that kind of situation, of course I want to be prepared to defend myself, but running gun battles in the street or people shooting others on a regular basis isn't what I believe will happen on a regular basis.

If you're worried about some crazy long-term SHTF situtation, might want to brush up with your irons, actually just get a good pair of irons as we've seen over the years lots of broken sights.
    I don't "expect", I just try to prepare. After about 3 to 5 days of a natural or man made disaster, people will start to fold.

I suppose people do read the news? Funny, both the scientific community or the government made known a solar fare missed the earth, literally, by feet and inches, measured in scale with earth. They released the info a year later. Had it hit the earth, it was so massive that our planets magnetic field would be like stopping a bull with a wet paper towel. Didn't want people to panic?

There is at least a million ways our planet, or parts of it, could be attacked every day, from a meteor, to a mega sunami, to a new virus that hits the earth before science and doctors realize what happened.

So screw those who admonish folks about "fantasy". Let them beg for morsels, I'm going to be eating, just fine, if that "fantasy shit" ever happens.

And if nothing at all happens, I'm going to be even better.

That being said, to the OP buy what fits your needs, and what you can use. If 1 or 200 yards is about your limit, pick the style you like and buy the most quality you can afford.

And ALWAYS have backup irons, like UWone77 suggested. Think of it this way. As far as the first M16's, up until the M4's, almost all fighting with that platform was done with iron sights. Quite a few dead SE Asians, to Sand fleas killed pretty damned dead with them. Of course RDS upped the game, especially when they filtered down from the Uber Spec Op folks to the common grunt. Won't hurt to have which ever fits your skills, vision, and feels right to you.

There is no "silver bullet" when it comes to one sight being suitable for "SHTF" scenarios. You have to try several, or as many as you can, options, and decide what's right for you. Go to a Harley forum and ask; "What's the best oil?". Hell, you might start WWIII just doing that, but actually you'll start a flame war that will take decades to burn out. Same here. If you're considering an Eotech vs. Aimpoint, well Eric had it right, that debate has been beaten to death. They both have pro's and cons, and it's just a personal choice, beyond that.

Don't over think it. Try a few and buy the one you like.

FT
    Last edited by FortTom; 21 August 2014 at 12:42.
    NRA Life Member
    Basket full of Deplorables Life Member

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Gaspipeshooter View Post
    Is that how they get you??? The puts me back at square one.