Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: SHTF AR Optics

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by FortTom View Post
    I don't "expect", I just try to prepare. After about 3 to 5 days of a natural or man made disaster, people will start to fold.

I suppose people do read the news? Funny, both the scientific community or the government made known a solar fare missed the earth, literally, by feet and inches, measured in scale with earth. They released the info a year later. Had it hit the earth, it was so massive that our planets magnetic field would be like stopping a bull with a wet paper towel. Didn't want people to panic?

There is at least a million ways our planet, or parts of it, could be attacked every day, from a meteor, to a mega sunami, to a new virus that hits the earth before science and doctors realize what happened.

So screw those who admonish folks about "fantasy". Let them beg for morsels, I'm going to be eating, just fine, if that "fantasy shit" ever happens.

And if nothing at all happens, I'm going to be even better.
    WWW.TACTICALYELLOWVISOR.NET

Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks....... I got the chance to try both along with a couple other well known ones and I really like the two of them. I like the eotech because of the feild of veiw and reticle but the PRO looks like its the better bang for the buck.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by FortTom View Post
    There is at least a million ways our planet, or parts of it, could be attacked every day, from a meteor, to a mega sunami, to a new virus that hits the earth before science and doctors realize what happened.

So screw those who admonish folks about "fantasy". Let them beg for morsels, I'm going to be eating, just fine, if that "fantasy shit" ever happens.
    Hooray for Hollywood.....

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Hmac View Post
    Hooray for Hollywood.....
    You're too cool..ever hear of the Spanish Flu? 1918? Traveled completely around the world including pacific islands and artic regions. Aprox 1/2 billion affected (yeah smartass that's a B) and killed about 100 million people. Happened really fast. It was over pretty much before they figured out what it was. Recent typhoons and tidal waves including Indian Ocean wave that killed an estimated minimum 250,000 people in over a dozen countries? Yeah that crap never happens, it's all Hollywood. Race riots? Not in your hometown, huh?

Look, if a new member comes on and asks a very common rookie question, and get's a cyber "bitch slap" about "fantasy SHTF" from the resident ass and you want to rah rah him, go ahead. Maybe new guys, until they learn better than to post without said asshat's blessing on the subject matter should not post at all. The only fantasy world I see, is said asshat's assessment of his relevance on earth. Maybe some folks forgot that they were "new" at one time, seems 1 or 2 folks here were born with an AR up their ass? Yep, that must be it. GR1M asked a question, and gets trashed for it after something like 8 or 9 posts?

Maybe we should get the administrator to make it a rule, that all posts, not just new guys, be personally annotated by ass hat, that it meets or exceeds his standards of a "worthy" post.

Thought you had more class than that. I see I was wrong.

FT
    Last edited by FortTom; 21 August 2014 at 16:07.
    NRA Life Member
    Deplorables Life Member
    Bible and Gun Clinger
    Filthy Stinking Wal Mart Shopper

Downloads
    Uploads
    I run an aimpoint Comp M4. I don't think they come any tougher. I got It before PRO's were a thing and T-1's were still new. I probably would have ended up with a T-1 just due to cost, but a buddy of mine offered me the M4 with a LaRue mount for $600, taken off a safe queen. Too sweet to pass up. Now I'm glad it's what I have, I like the larger tube, it's tougher than nails, and now in a way it's almost unique as everyone who wants a 30mm tube gets the PRO. As for EOtechs, well... I've seen plenty of broken EOtechs of various models, I don't like the auto shutoff or the switch/button locations on some models. The reticle is ok but I'd like it more if it was more crisp.

If I was on the market for another RDS right now, I get a PRO and just use the mount it came with. My buddy has been running one with the factory mount since right after the PRO was released. Factory mount works fine.
    -One Nation, Under God

-"The bad news is time flies. The good news is you're the pilot." ~ Michael Althsuler

Downloads
    Uploads
    Oh yeah, another thing with the 30mm aimpoints. I run mine with a killflash. Not because I'm worried I'll get spotted by the sheen of the objective lens and sniped, but because I've shot at several locations where I've been facing into the sun during early morning or late evening. Glare used to be a pain in the ass during those times, but now killflash = no glare = easier/faster target acquisition.

AND... you won't get sniped due to the sheen of your objective lens!
    -One Nation, Under God

-"The bad news is time flies. The good news is you're the pilot." ~ Michael Althsuler

Downloads
    Uploads
    Well, this certainly escalated quickly.

I think we can all have an adult conversation about optics. No need to make fun of each others fantasies and having the Earth be hit by a Gamma Ray Bursts..

Downloads
    Uploads
    I have only had my PRO for under a year now after a push from a friend..to cry once..blah blah...

Anyways before that only had a primary arms Red dot for a short time, on the 556 i was having problems with it, and well just dumped it..this pro so far has been on the whole time and has been dropped or smacked around some and still holds true..

Anyways...im kinda off topic also...but...you guys started it...lol

Looking at trying out a sparc 2 one of these days..

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by mustangfreek View Post
    I have only had my PRO for under a year now after a push from a friend..to cry once..blah blah...

Anyways before that only had a primary arms Red dot for a short time, on the 556 i was having problems with it, and well just dumped it..this pro so far has been on the whole time and has been dropped or smacked around some and still holds true..

Anyways...im kinda off topic also...but...you guys started it...lol

Looking at trying out a sparc 2 one of these days..
    I have several Aimpoints and the only problem I had was a P.R.O. that wouldn't hold zero. Changed mount and haven't had a problem with it since. Just got a H1 in the mail today, and ordered a La Rue mount for it. Can't wait for it to get here so I can really try it out.

But, back to Gr1m's dilemma, maybe he should try some other forms of optics, besides RDS's. I'm thinking 1X4 Scopes with lighted dot's or regular cross hairs? Then he can weigh the pros and cons of all types of optics?

FT
    NRA Life Member
    Deplorables Life Member
    Bible and Gun Clinger

Downloads
    Uploads
    Ya a H-1 is on my want list....I also just got a vortex 1-4 not too long ago, and am really starting to like it more and more..Nice sturdy piece , good glass and options for the price..

Downloads
    Uploads
    If the SHTF after I go to bed I hope one of my girls wakes me. I sleep with a CPAP and can't hear much, and since I've quit snoring my Wife sleeps heavier than I do. By the way I'm a fan of the PRO but I haven't tried a M4, M4s or a SRS.
    DEUTERONOMY 6:5
    flickr
    facebook
    The gift of mental power comes from God, Divine Being, and if we concentrate our minds on that truth, we become in tune with this great power - Nikola Telsa

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by mustangfreek View Post
    Ya a H-1 is on my want list....I also just got a vortex 1-4 not too long ago, and am really starting to like it more and more..Nice sturdy piece , good glass and options for the price..
    I had a Burris MTAC 2 or 3 years back. Same thing, clear glass, good build quality. Took it off and installed a 2.5 X 10, I think it is, that has normal cross hairs with a tiny lighted dot in the center. I use that on my LMT for coyotes, long range and short range plinking. I sold that MTAC, but something like that might fit his needs better than a red dot, or like you mentioned, a Vortex.

FT
    NRA Life Member
    Deplorables Life Member
    Bible and Gun Clinger

Downloads
    Uploads
    I bought a PRO a little over a year ago. Pretty nice optic. The included mount is just fine. The battery just went dead after being left on the entire time. My only real complaint is that the adjustment knob for brightness is extremely exposed and tends to get turned to a higher brightness setting if it bounces around on my plate carrier. I think that is one reason the battery life was not any better- it kept getting turned on to the max brightness and sometimes left there fr who knows how long. (Days, weeks?)

If they could fix that issue, and make it take a CR123A battery, it would be a great optic. The little hearing aid battery is, as far as equipment I own, proprietary to AimPoint. All my lights, and the newer EOTechs, take a CR123A.
    -lamarbrog

I sold my Browning High Power because it is a heavy, low-capacity, hammer-biting, magazine disconnecting, stiff manual safetied artifact with uncommon magazines, and it still holds the honored place of being my least favorite pistol I have ever owned.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by lamarbrog View Post
    I bought a PRO a little over a year ago. Pretty nice optic. The included mount is just fine. The battery just went dead after being left on the entire time. My only real complaint is that the adjustment knob for brightness is extremely exposed and tends to get turned to a higher brightness setting if it bounces around on my plate carrier. I think that is one reason the battery life was not any better- it kept getting turned on to the max brightness and sometimes left there fr who knows how long. (Days, weeks?)

If they could fix that issue, and make it take a CR123A battery, it would be a great optic. The little hearing aid battery is, as far as equipment I own, proprietary to AimPoint. All my lights, and the newer EOTechs, take a CR123A.
    I've never seen any electronic device that uses CR123A's with a long battery life. I'm no electrical engineer, but I'm guessing there's a reason for that. The Aimpoint N batteries work just fine. I usually swap them out as needed on range guns, and swap them once a year on duty guns. I agree that sometimes the brightness setting can be accidentally turned up, but how often are you really wearing a plate carrier?

If you're really worried about batteries, the M4 is the way to go. 80k hour life, and AA batteries can be found anywhere.

Downloads
    Uploads

SHTF AR Optics

I think that is likely because engineers choose the 123A cells when they have a substantial load they are trying to power. If you used a 123A in a power application that could be reasonably handled by a coin cell you'd probably get great life.

Case in point, the original HDS clicky flashlight (1x123A) had a "locator" mode where it just flashed the LED just a little bit every second or so. Someone did a runtime test and the battery more or less lasted forever.

-john