Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads

thread about why suppress an AR15?

that is what originally brought me here, but now I can't find it? thanks for your help.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by parke View Post
    that is what originally brought me here, but now I can't find it? thanks for your help.
    Lots of reason to suppress and not suppress an AR15. Depends what you're looking to do with it.

First, I'd ask myself, what draws me to get a suppressor? Be honest with yourself. Is it because it looks cool? Or because you're looking for signature reduction and/or sound suppression?

Downloads
    Uploads
    I know my reasons. I wanted to post on the thread about it. guess I gotta start a new one. I don't see any reaon at all to not suppress one, actually. The 60 gr Aquila .22 ammo is subsonic, offers 120 ft lbs at the muzzle, and is BB gun quiet thru the .22lr conversion unit in the shorty AR. The full power 223 ammo sounds like a normal .22lr rifle. Why would you ever want noise and flash, hmm?

If you do a bit of hand work yourself, your local machine and welding shop can make you a very fine 223 AR suppressor, for about $100. So for the additional $200 of the tax stamp, you have an accessory that adds at least $500 to the resale price of your rifle. The difference in success rate that a suppressor makes for foragers has to be experienced to be appreciated.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Who buys used homebuilt suppressors? I didn't even think there was much of a market for used suppressors to begin with. As to shooting .22LR through a suppressor, I'd make sure it's one you can take apart to clean so you don't have to worry about lead buildup from the unjacketed rounds.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Calengor View Post
    Who buys used homebuilt suppressors? I didn't even think there was much of a market for used suppressors to begin with. As to shooting .22LR through a suppressor, I'd make sure it's one you can take apart to clean so you don't have to worry about lead buildup from the unjacketed rounds.
    I've seen some decent home made suppressors for 22lr, no way would I trust or waste my time/tax stamp money on a centerfire can made at home.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Don't you have to have a FFL 07 to manufacture a suppressor?
    Will - Owner of Arisaka LLC - http://www.arisakadefense.com

Downloads
    Uploads
    As a business, yes. Along with an SOT.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Just a form 1 if not a business though.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Slippers View Post
    Don't you have to have a FFL 07 to manufacture a suppressor?
    You can just Form 1 your own can. Locally, there's a guy who puts on a class on how to make your own.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by UWone77 View Post
    You can just Form 1 your own can. Locally, there's a guy who puts on a class on how to make your own.
    Nifty. I presume you can't actually go to a machine shop and have them make it for you, though. At least not entirely. You have to do the assembly, right?
    Will - Owner of Arisaka LLC - http://www.arisakadefense.com

Downloads
    Uploads
    I believe you would have to perform the actual process of creating the "firearm". In most cans this is usually the outer sleeve, depending on design of course. Never heard of an 80% supressor kit but that doesn't mean it doesn't exist. :)

Downloads
    Uploads
    The only guns I don"t use a suppressor on is my 6ppc and pistols I am carrying in a holster, and the only reason why my 6ppc doesn't have a can on it is because it has a muzzle mounted barrel tuner on it too squeeze all the accuracy I can out of it.
    Sorry Daddy. It's okay son. If you weren't screwing something up I wouldn't know you were trying.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quite frankly you are an ass if you don't suppress your firearm(s)

Not being serious but kind of. I hate shooting unsuppressed now, its just so pleasant to shoot with a can.
    FFL 07/ NFA 02
    TWN Certified Hydro Dipper

Downloads
    Uploads
    Yes and no. Gas face sucks, and things get gummed up pretty fast with a suppressor. Otherwise I would agree, it's the polite thing to do.

Downloads
    Uploads
    doesn't using a suppressor stress your rifle more? forcing gas to reroute towards the shooter would mean a harder kick on the bcg no? suggesting more wear i suppose...

Im looking to get my rifle supressed but i've been weighing the pros and cons. I know some people avoid gas face by putting silicone on their charging handle or getting a gasbuster charging handle. However, I'd be interested to know how this affects stress on the rifle, especially the silicone trick.