Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads

Sintercore 3D printed muzzle break survives long-term test

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2...-muzzle-brake/

Sintercore produced the world's first 3D printed muzzle device over a year ago. This is a follow-up discussing the results over a year and nearly 8 thousand rounds fired.

Looks like it survived just fine!

One of the neatest things about 3D printing is that once you've created the 3D model, you can build it in all kinds of different materials. For example if you create a 3D model and print it in plastic on a low-end machine, you can test it extensively before you move on to a much stronger (and more expensive) material. You can get all the dimensions and what not dialed in with the prototypes first.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Dave make me one

Downloads
    Uploads
    May be to expensive for me but the video reviews I've seen of these look pretty good.
    DEUTERONOMY 6:5
    flickr
    facebook
    The gift of mental power comes from God, Divine Being, and if we concentrate our minds on that truth, we become in tune with this great power - Nikola Telsa

Downloads
    Uploads
    I'd like to try one, but not at that price. Maybe a couple of years from now? Who knows. The only real advantage I can see, though, is saving a couple of ounces, and being the cool kid on the block that has one first.

FT
    NRA Life Member
    Deplorables Life Member
    Bible and Gun Clinger
    Filthy Stinking Wal Mart Shopper

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by UWone77 View Post
    Dave make me one
    Hehe, I can make one from ABS but I don't think it will hold together too long.

That might be a fun video though

Seriously though if you have an idea for a special muzzle device, I can model it and we can have it printed in any material you want. I don't think ShapeWays would have a problem with a muzzle break, but I don't know ... all of the online providers are very gun-shy.

You know, that's not a bad idea. I may design a bunch of muzzle devices and see if anyone wants to fund a round of printing ...

Downloads
    Uploads
    MoxyDave I hate you for bringing this thing up again, well I don't hate you but my wife will.
    flickr
    facebook
    The gift of mental power comes from God, Divine Being, and if we concentrate our minds on that truth, we become in tune with this great power - Nikola Telsa

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by GOST View Post
    MoxyDave I hate you for bringing this thing up again, well I don't hate you but my wife will.
    Sorry man, quit checking the forums lol!

Downloads
    Uploads
    I can't help myself, I blame it on childhood. Don't tell my parents.
    flickr
    facebook

Downloads
    Uploads
    Seems like 3D printing has come a long way in a very short period of time. I can only imagine where it'll end up in 2-5 years. The question is, with the right materials (if possible on a 3D printer) What can't you make on it?

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by KevinBL View Post
    Seems like 3D printing has come a long way in a very short period of time. I can only imagine where it'll end up in 2-5 years. The question is, with the right materials (if possible on a 3D printer) What can't you make on it?
    I think the greatest obstacle to the current 3d metal printing processes is power use. My understanding is that the printing process is essentially extremely precise multi pass welding. Which, uses a ton of power.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by MoxyDave View Post
    Hehe, I can make one from ABS but I don't think it will hold together too long.

That might be a fun video though

Seriously though if you have an idea for a special muzzle device, I can model it and we can have it printed in any material you want. I don't think ShapeWays would have a problem with a muzzle break, but I don't know ... all of the online providers are very gun-shy.

You know, that's not a bad idea. I may design a bunch of muzzle devices and see if anyone wants to fund a round of printing ...
    Do you know how to or have the capability to do a 3D CAD?

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Stone View Post
    Do you know how to or have the capability to do a 3D CAD?
    That's basically all there is to 3D printing. From the media, you'd think it was about the printer. But you can't print shit without a model, that is always the first step.

Do you have something you want modeled? We charge $100/hr.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I will, but I am still in the process of making a physical prototype, or rather updating the one I have. Its not a muzzle device though but you caught my attention with this thread. After I refine it a bit more I believe my next step is to have a 3D CAD drawing done and then go through a rapid prototype service. I will need it made out of aluminum, should it be done on a CNC machine? I don't want to muck up this thread or take it off track so you can PM me or if the mods don't mind we can continue here. Any info on creating a new product and how to move it along would be greatly appreciated. It is an accessory part for the AR platform.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by MoxyDave View Post
    That's basically all there is to 3D printing. From the media, you'd think it was about the printer. But you can't print shit without a model, that is always the first step.

Do you have something you want modeled? We charge $100/hr.
    This is the part that has always interested me about 3d printing. Is it anything like writing cnc? I am always fascinated by new processes but unfortunately my part of the country doesn't seem to be able to I'm brace anything more than three axis machinery.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I love the sintered metal printing tech. I am just waiting for someone to print out a suppressor or at least baffles, legally of course. One could do some very cool and unique things this.