Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads
    OH CRAP! Now I've done it. Had a .308 buzzing in my head while building last two rifles. Bought receiver set today! I just screwed up royally. Might as well just keep the check book well stocked with checks. Maybe instead of going crazy and trying to do it all in 3 or 4 weeks, I'll just stretch it out over 5 or 6 months, maybe more if I get a camo job while I'm at it. Nothing fancy like Dstrbdmedic got, DPMS AR-10 stuff. Will be losing sleep, going over and over every detail of what I want, then lose more sleep making revisions.

Wish someone would kick me in the ass for even THINKING about doing this.

FT
    NRA Life Member
    Deplorables Life Member
    Bible and Gun Clinger
    Filthy Stinking Wal Mart Shopper

Downloads
    Uploads
    FT,

If it makes you feel any better .308 parts have come down in price since the days of when I first looked at building an AR10 patterned rifle. Although, it's still not cheap if you want quality components. I suppose it's all relative.

The OP got a great head start on start up costs as he won the receivers and some other parts. I think for me, a quality .308 starts with the barrel, and it's best to spend your money on a good top shelf barrel.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by FortTom View Post
    OH CRAP! Now I've done it. Had a .308 buzzing in my head while building last two rifles. Bought receiver set today! I just screwed up royally. Might as well just keep the check book well stocked with checks. Maybe instead of going crazy and trying to do it all in 3 or 4 weeks, I'll just stretch it out over 5 or 6 months, maybe more if I get a camo job while I'm at it. Nothing fancy like Dstrbdmedic got, DPMS AR-10 stuff. Will be losing sleep, going over and over every detail of what I want, then lose more sleep making revisions.

FT
    I was planning to start an AR10 build at some point just not right now... as UW said I was lucky enough to get a great head start so i could afford to buy one of the best barrels money could buy. otherwise i would have had to spread it out over time. I always seem to have a big problem with not waiting, but i think that goes for everyone.

What set did you go with? Also parts are coming down daily and availability is better than its ever been.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by UWone77 View Post
    FT,

If it makes you feel any better .308 parts have come down in price since the days of when I first looked at building an AR10 patterned rifle. Although, it's still not cheap if you want quality components. I suppose it's all relative.

The OP got a great head start on start up costs as he won the receivers and some other parts. I think for me, a quality .308 starts with the barrel, and it's best to spend your money on a good top shelf barrel.
    I agree. I will buy a good barrel, very possibly a fluted 20 in. threaded for brake. I just have to put the receivers aside for a few days or maybe a week or more and think my decisions through, revise, develop a plan and stick to it. Thinking through the barrel, hand guard and gas block is the hard part, as far as choices go, the rest is a piece of cake. Just not sure I have the stamina, after 2, almost back-to-back AR's.

FT
    Last edited by FortTom; 5 September 2014 at 19:26.
    NRA Life Member
    Deplorables Life Member
    Bible and Gun Clinger

Downloads
    Uploads
    I agree. I will buy a good barrel, very possibly a fluted 20 in. threaded for brake. I just have to put the receivers aside for a few days or maybe a week or more and think my decisions through, revise, develop a plan and stick to it. Thinking through the barrel, hand guard and gas block is the hard part, as far as choices go, the rest is a piece of cake. Just not sure I have the stamina, after 2, almost back-to-back AR's.

FT
    FT's famous last words... this is the last build.

Right.

Carry on.

Downloads
    Uploads

FT
    HAHAHAHA....nice going FT...What set?....ahhh....Start a build thread... :)

Dstrbdmedic167..... do you reload?

Downloads
    Uploads
    Just not sure I have the stamina

FT
    FT, you should NEVER, EVER admit on the Internet that you might not have stamina...

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by mustangfreek View Post
    ...ahhh....Start a build thread...
    Seconded!

Downloads
    Uploads
    HAHAHAHA....nice going FT...What set?....ahhh....Start a build thread... :)

Change of plans. Guy I bought receiver set from offered me a complete DPMS with about 20 rounds down range instead. I thought about it for a while then said why not.
    I'll make some changes, for sure, but it's kind of nice to have something I can actually shoot in the meantime. Also, another guy makes his own muzzle brakes. A little on the long side, with 3 chambers at 90 and 270 and holes in the top to act as a comp. Got one on for free. Beautiful looks, I guess he EDM's them out, too smooth for machining. Am curious to see how well it works. Current plan is to buy NiB BCG, CTR stock, and railed hand guard.

FT
    NRA Life Member
    Deplorables Life Member
    Bible and Gun Clinger

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Gaspipeshooter View Post
    FT, you should NEVER, EVER admit on the Internet that you might not have stamina...
    keep yuckiing it up buddy, I go harder than most guys half my age...
    NRA Life Member
    Deplorables Life Member
    Bible and Gun Clinger

Downloads
    Uploads
    keep yuckiing it up buddy, I go harder than most guys half my age...
    Touche`!

Downloads
    Uploads
    I do but I don't have anything for the 308 yet. But I will at some point....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Downloads
    Uploads

A little update. Things are coming along nicely and the rest of the parts will be here soon. I'll update with a full parts list once everything is complete.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Downloads
    Uploads
    Well that certainly came together quickly. What parts are you still waiting for?

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by UWone77 View Post
    Well that certainly came together quickly. What parts are you still waiting for?
    Barrel, CH, and MD came in yesterday. The BCG was not staked so I had to get it replaced. So a couple of says and I should be function testing. Of course then it's coming apart and getting the remainder of parts cerekoted.