Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Thompson View Post
    Forgive me for my lack of knowledge. So then Mega is another good company up there with guys like BCM, DD, Noveske, etc?
    This week, Thompson. About every 3 or 4 weeks a new lower comes out, the last "big" thing gets forgotten, and the new one gets drooled over, then the cycle repeats..
    NRA Life Member
    Deplorables Life Member
    Bible and Gun Clinger
    Filthy Stinking Wal Mart Shopper

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by FortTom View Post
    This week, Thompson. About every 3 or 4 weeks a new lower comes out, the last "big" thing gets forgotten, and the new one gets drooled over, then the cycle repeats..
    I know FT is partly joking (partly), but there are only so many large manufactures. Mega is one the the places that makes their own stuff (like DD and Noveske...I think). For a while, several years ago, Spike's, which had a kajillion lowers out there for sale, had theirs made by an outfit called JD Machine in San Diego (they've since moved to another supplier).

So outfits like DD, Noveske, BCM (which I don't know if they make their own stuff), Mega, Aero, etc are good to go.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Ah ok. Thanks for the help everyone. I'm starting to look into parts for my first AR build after I finish college (2.5 years left).... so many companies ...

But ... until then, the Jack Carbine will have to do (when I get it haha)

Downloads
    Uploads
    BCM is always a good choice Thompson.
    DEUTERONOMY 6:5
    flickr
    facebook
    The gift of mental power comes from God, Divine Being, and if we concentrate our minds on that truth, we become in tune with this great power - Nikola Telsa

Downloads
    Uploads
    I try

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by gatordev View Post
    I know FT is partly joking (partly), but there are only so many large manufactures. Mega is one the the places that makes their own stuff (like DD and Noveske...I think). For a while, several years ago, Spike's, which had a kajillion lowers out there for sale, had theirs made by an outfit called JD Machine in San Diego (they've since moved to another supplier).

So outfits like DD, Noveske, BCM (which I don't know if they make their own stuff), Mega, Aero, etc are good to go.
    Yes, Thomson, I was (mostly) kidding, sometimes it doesn't come though well.

Ah ok. Thanks for the help everyone. I'm starting to look into parts for my first AR build after I finish college (2.5 years left).... so many companies ...

But ... until then, the Jack Carbine will have to do (when I get it haha)
    What??? 2.5 years? Heck, we might be shooting particle beam weapons by then. Just cut back from ramen noodles every night, to one cup every other night. You can swipe free ketchup packets from the cafeteria if you need "sauce", if you need a few more calories to keep from fainting. Water is good also, no need for milk, soft drinks, etc. . Buy the most used books that are still readable and even then try to negotiate the price down due to "poor condition". Recycle paper you used for taking notes, and no longer needed after the class is finished, for toilet paper. Those little hand soap bars found in the mens latrine (still in wrapper) will fit in your pockets 3 or 4 deep, so showers in the dorm will be free and save you money. The little bits left will still dissolve in the washing machine, so fresh clean clothes. There, now I've shown you how to save enough to go to school and start your project gun now, not 2.5 years from now. Use your imagination...

FT
    Last edited by FortTom; 9 September 2014 at 21:11.
    NRA Life Member
    Deplorables Life Member
    Bible and Gun Clinger
    Filthy Stinking Wal Mart Shopper

Downloads
    Uploads
    Haha; you never fail to amuse FT. And yes, I got the humor.

Sorry, should have worded that differently. Rather - end goal is to have most if not all parts for my AR build. I figure, spreading the cost over several years isn't as bad compared to all in a month.

I've managed to acquire one part already: Geissele MK1 13" rail (no shortage of PMAGs either)

And I actually do most of what you mentioned .... minus the paper recycling and the bar of soap (it's all liquid dispenser now).

No worries, I've got a bit of monthly stipend coming in from Army.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Haha; you never fail to amuse FT. And yes, I got the humor.

Sorry, should have worded that differently. Rather - end goal is to have most if not all parts for my AR build. I figure, spreading the cost over several years isn't as bad compared to all in a month.

I've managed to acquire one part already: Geissele MK1 13" rail (no shortage of PMAGs either)

And I actually do most of what you mentioned .... minus the paper recycling and the bar of soap (it's all liquid dispenser now).

Thompson,

You're already ahead of the game my friend. I wish I even knew what a rifle was when I was your age. I had 1 pistol.

The only problem you have is the lack of funds, and of course the plethora of parts out there, great parts and companies all producing functional and aesthetically pleasing stuff. Hard to make a decision sometimes when you can only have one.

Don't buy too many items too soon. One thing in the AR world that's certain. Today's cutting edge piece of gear is soon to be yesterdays bargain bin.

And yes... FT never does fail to please. I need to find him his own title for WEVO...

Fort Tom
    WEVO Comedian

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by UWone77 View Post
    You're already ahead of the game my friend. I wish I even knew what a rifle was when I was your age. I had 1 pistol.

Don't buy too many items too soon. One thing in the AR world that's certain. Today's cutting edge piece of gear is soon to be yesterdays bargain bin.
    Haha - I just wish I could have started shooting when I was a kid. I'm really far behind the curve now, in terms of doing competitive shooting (I'd like to PCS to the Army Marksmanship Unit).

So can parts in the AR world be loosely compared to electronics - in the sense that today's gadgets is yesterday's most advanced technology?

Downloads
    Uploads

What is that up to now? When I started ROTC, it was $100, which hadn't changed since the dawn of time. By the time I commissioned, it was all the way up $150. At least it helped pay for gas.

So can parts in the AR world be loosely compared to electronics - in the sense that today's gadgets is yesterday's most advanced technology?
    It really depends on how you want to use it and what you're using. For a straight up Carbine with FSB, I'm very happy with an old school KAC RAS rail. It works and it's fairly light. Electronics/lights...yeah, things change. Honestly it seems like the most bang for the buck change that's continued to happen is barrels that maintain accuracy but continue to go down in price.

Downloads
    Uploads
    What is that up to now? When I started ROTC, it was $100, which hadn't changed since the dawn of time. By the time I commissioned, it was all the way up $150. At least it helped pay for gas.

It really depends on how you want to use it and what you're using. For a straight up Carbine with FSB, I'm very happy with an old school KAC RAS rail. It works and it's fairly light. Electronics/lights...yeah, things change. Honestly it seems like the most bang for the buck change that's continued to happen is barrels that maintain accuracy but continue to go down in price.
    As of now: $300 freshman; $350 sophomore; $450 junior; $500 senior; $500 additional semesters beyond senior year ... plus $600/semester for books (but this is direct deposited to bank account ... so if you don't use up all 600 on books, the remaining balance is yours to spend on whatever ... like say, a Jack Carbine )

(... not trying to pull the age card ... but wow $150 sounds like a little while ago) And I'm sure ROTC hasn't changed much since your days. In fact, only this past summer did Cadet Command undergo a massive face lift, restructuring and standardizing programs across the country.

.... okay - I've been trying to figure out the meaning of FSB in context to what's been posted .... I still haven't a clue what it stands for
    Last edited by Thompson; 10 September 2014 at 14:13.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Front Sight Base...basically the fixed front sight on an AR platform.

To be fair, I'm Navy, so a little bit different leadership stuff (we don't have all the balls and diamonds), but it might have been a little while ago. I commissioned in 1998. It wasn't a lot of money then, either. The amounts you mention are down right decadence!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Front Sight Base...basically the fixed front sight on an AR platform.

The amounts you mention are down right decadence!
    Ah okay - I was close, I was thinking "front sight ____", post was the only thing that came to mind.

NROTC's not too far behind; $250, $300, $350, $400 respectively + $750/year for books.

Downloads
    Uploads

Downloads
    Uploads
    .... okay - I've been trying to figure out the meaning of FSB in context to what's been posted .... I still haven't a clue what it stands for
    Get used to it Thompson. With all the LEO/MIL guys around, initials and acronyms rule. For instance, FS and MD can mean the same thing, but an MD isn't always an FS. An MD can also be an MB or a comp. Then you get into LPKs, with/without FCGs...get the picture?